Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 5/7/15 minor league THREAD: Sugar Ray! Who knew?

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    The GM is not doing his job if he is not listening. And I agree with you that no one is untouchable. You put that out as a specific proposition, and I was just curious to know if you, as GM, would take it.

I'm familiar with Devers. I'm familiar with all the scouting reports on him, and I've seen him play a handful of times. He's 18 and really impressive. I have not seen Rio play, but I would not at all be surprised if Devers ended up outshining him by a wide margin.

That said, he's 18. IMO, it would be unwise to trade Tron. However, if we did, Devers would be the start, and would have to get more than Johnson and Bradley. Bottom line, even if you consider Tron as a defense-only guy, you are still under-rating him.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (05-08-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Again, you're cherry-picking. They DID control Gattis for a similar period (at a substantially smaller financial commitment than Simmons is owed), and that would be a better return than they got for him as well as a better return than they got for the others.
    Nah I just didn't feel the need to go into detail on Gattis since most here agree his situation is different, or at the very least not comparable to Simmons. Further, I am not interested in debating you on which prospect return is best. But if I were to even consider trading Simmons I would need a lot more than what you suggested. And as I implied at least one very good proven MLB player would need to be included for me to take such an offer serious.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    The GM is not doing his job if he is not listening. And I agree with you that no one is untouchable. You put that out as a specific proposition, and I was just curious to know if you, as GM, would take it.

I'm familiar with Devers. I'm familiar with all the scouting reports on him, and I've seen him play a handful of times. He's 18 and really impressive. I have not seen Rio play, but I would not at all be surprised if Devers ended up outshining him by a wide margin.

That said, he's 18. IMO, it would be unwise to trade Tron. However, if we did, Devers would be the start, and would have to get more than Johnson and Bradley. Bottom line, even if you consider Tron as a defense-only guy, you are still under-rating him.

I don't think I'm underrating Simmons at all - I said it would take a substantially larger offer to pry him away than for either of the prospects - I never said I'd accept either of those fantasy offers. You read what I said (or at least intended to say) correctly and asked the question I was asking myself as well - IF Boston were to make that kind of fantasy baseball offer WOULD you consider it, or how much more would you ask for before you simply couldn't say "no"? I just pulled that offer out of the air as the type of starting point where I think you'd have to be to get Hart to even put the scouts to work watching specific players. Assuming that was Cherrington's initial offer, you at least know he's pretty interested.

In that fantasy scenario, I said I don't think Johnson would be enough for me personally to even start those scouts' motors. That doesn't mean I would instantly hang up the phone and be offended at the offer. I'd personally do a little more "feeling out" and say "thanks, but that's not going to get it done. BUT if you're willing to substitute Rodriguez for Johnson we could be getting closer". If that was a non-starter for Cherrington, then I'd know that he's likely only trying to play keep-away from the Yankees and probably isn't going to give me enough to put me in a position where I couldn't say "no". If he doesn't flinch at Bradley, Rodriguez, and Devers I'd then push to see how far he's willing to go. Cherrington staying in the discussion at that point lets me know that he really wants him and I just need to find out exactly how much - we've established three of the pieces. Hart's then in the driver's seat, and can push the envelope as far as possible. "Tell ya what Ben - throw in Manuel Margot since you've got so much OF depth ahead of him and you've got a deal."
    Last edited by clvclv; 05-08-2015 at 09:49 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (05-08-2015)