Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5/11/15 MONDAY MINOR FINAL: Hursh awful, Rome walkoff

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Eric Garcia was our 20th round pick in 2012 out of the University of Missouri. Hasn't had a stellar career to this point, but maybe the light bulb has come on. LHH; so that helps. Mostly a 2B, but has played a lot of SS and some 3B.

Daniel Castro has had a meteoric rise after two nondescript seasons in the Dominican Summer League in 2010 and 2011. Braves sent him to the Mexican League (I think they have a cooperative agreement with one of the teams there) where his game picked up considerably. Short of IFs, the Braves added him to the Lynchburg roster late in 2013. He stuck there the next year and moved up to Mississippi mid-year in 2014. His game has continued to improve and he's now in Gwinnett after a solid start in Mississippi this season. Has kind of flip-flopped with Peraza and is now playing more SS. Peraza was the SS in Lynchburg when Castro first came stateside in 2013, so Castro played 2B in that particular situation. With Peraza moving to 2B, Castro is back at SS. Only 22. Doesn't walk much. Doesn't K much.
    I meant the Garcia with the rock physique.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    And for some reason I thought Shrader was a catching prospect. I get confused sometimes.
    Ivermectin Man

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    I meant the Garcia with the rock physique.
    Got ya. Adonis Garcia defected from Cuba in 2011. Signed with the Yankees in 2012 for $400,000. Had trouble establishing residency, which delayed his signing. Mostly an OF in his career to this point in the states, but has played some 3B (which I think the Braves want to see if he can do). Hadn't hit that much in his pro career until last season at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. Seems to subscribe to the hitting approach that you can't "walk off the island." If he continues to hit and shows he can play 3B adequately, my guess is the Braves would view him as a possible bench guy, especially if they try to move Chris Johnson at some point.

There's a poster here whose sister dates (or dated) Jake Schrader. He could probably provide the best scouting report on him. Guy appears to be able to rake.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (05-12-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Got ya. Adonis Garcia defected from Cuba in 2011. Signed with the Yankees in 2012 for $400,000. Had trouble establishing residency, which delayed his signing. Mostly an OF in his career to this point in the states, but has played some 3B (which I think the Braves want to see if he can do). Hadn't hit that much in his pro career until last season at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. Seems to subscribe to the hitting approach that you can't "walk off the island." If he continues to hit and shows he can play 3B adequately, my guess is the Braves would view him as a possible bench guy, especially if they try to move Chris Johnson at some point.

There's a poster here whose sister dates (or dated) Jake Schrader. He could probably provide the best scouting report on him. Guy appears to be able to rake.
    Thanks!
    Ivermectin Man

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    ****, it looks like Carolina's bus overturned and several players are hurt.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Castro reminds me of a Prado type... unheralded, but solid numbers throughout. Maybe less power, although Prado didn't show much pop in the minors either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Castro reminds me of a Prado type... unheralded, but solid numbers throughout. Maybe less power, although Prado didn't show much pop in the minors either.
    We can only hope. Prado is a hell of a player and on a controlled salary he had tremendous value.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Prado is a very good comp for Castro. But we have to keep in mind that if we made a list of players who looked similar to Prado and Castro through their age 22 seasons, Prado's subsequent development would put him at the 90% percentile or higher for that group. Just a little reminder of how tough the odds are for the guys coming up through the minors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    We can only hope. Prado is a hell of a player and on a controlled salary he had tremendous value.
    I'm not saying he will be as good of an MLB player as Prado... I'm saying his minor league profile reminds me of Prado.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    My body is ready for the Peterson hype train. Matter of time before he is our #1 prospect?
    The thing to remember is that Ruiz, though he has struggled so far in AA, hit better last year (at a younger age) in A+ than Peterson is currently.

And I don't say that to minimize Peterson. I say it just as a reminder not to be too down on Ruiz. Davidson could also make a jump at some point. We have several high-ceiling positional prospects right now - Albies, Peraza, Ruiz, Peterson, Davidson. You can throw Mallex Smith in there, too.