Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: **** you just don't understand

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I lived in King of Prussia for 5 months two years ago because of work. So I have "been" (more like eaten a meal) in Cherry Hills, Cambden, and I went to the Six Flags in Jackson lol. Not quite an expert in all things Jersey, but I definitely preferred Philly.
    Where the hell did you eat a meal in Camden? Only place I go for food in Camden is a cheesesteak place called Donkey's, because they have the best cheesesteaks of anywhere I've ever had, bar none. Cherry Hill is a massive place with still too many people in it, and they can definitely be quite snobby. But again, it's huge so it's tough to generalize. I prefer Philly as well, but you missed out on some really good places. I'm sure it's my bias kicking in, but I prefer my town to any place you named (except Philly, but it's close, because you basically live in Philly without the downsides).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    I have an accounting degree but hated it so much by that time I refused to pay the $20 for the diploma. They still send me a letter every year at graduation time. I stayed in school to finish an English degree. At least I enjoyed the work.
    And what kind of job did you get with an english degree? I always preferred English to anything else, everything about it has always been super easy for me, but I didn't see any kind of job I could get, so I went with accounting and landed a pretty great job before I graduated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    And what kind of job did you get with an english degree? I always preferred English to anything else, everything about it has always been super easy for me, but I didn't see any kind of job I could get, so I went with accounting and landed a pretty great job before I graduated.
    I've been teaching English, etc in Japan for 25 years, basically semi-retired and self-employed from day one. I haven't exactly gotten rich but it's nice having no boss and plenty of free time.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Red Robin > Five Guys
    Communist.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Where the hell did you eat a meal in Camden? Only place I go for food in Camden is a cheesesteak place called Donkey's, because they have the best cheesesteaks of anywhere I've ever had, bar none. Cherry Hill is a massive place with still too many people in it, and they can definitely be quite snobby. But again, it's huge so it's tough to generalize. I prefer Philly as well, but you missed out on some really good places. I'm sure it's my bias kicking in, but I prefer my town to any place you named (except Philly, but it's close, because you basically live in Philly without the downsides).
    I've eaten at some solid places in Camden, but done so while hanging out with a group of black coworkers. I wouldn't risk venturing too far into camden on my own outside of the handful of well regulated white zones (Rutgers camden, waterfront attraction areas and transportation center) they took me to a really solid soul food place and mexican place.

Collingswood is cool, it's not my favorite but I get your connection. That being said, the Pop Shop is someplace I can eat regularly, I think they also used to have one of the places I'd go to get Panzerotti.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Yeah, I decided to double-major and get an English degree because I knew the studies would be enjoyable and beneficial. Chillest classes I've ever taken, no doubt.

English majors were also cool as **** compared to all the uppity, needlessly competitive adderall bitches I've experienced elsewhere. Grad school was the worst and made me uber jaded and generally despondent.

My first jobs out of school were teaching English language abroad, so I felt like the degree paid dividends immediately.

Now I don't do anything directly related to it -- but my ability to synthesize large amounts of written material was alone worth the price of admission.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Why you gotta be jelly? Fat ugly girls need lovin too.

By that logic though, why would a homosexual man go for an effeminate man? Bottom line, I don't get it, and i don't let it get to me.
    I aint jelly...you made the thread on **** you just don't understand and that's one of them.

This thread had potential and then quickly reverted to you guys flirting with each other about nonsense as usual.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Yeah, I decided to double-major and get an English degree because I knew the studies would be enjoyable and beneficial. Chillest classes I've ever taken, no doubt.

English majors were also cool as **** compared to all the uppity, needlessly competitive adderall bitches I've experienced elsewhere. Grad school was the worst and made me uber jaded and generally despondent.

My first jobs out of school were teaching English language abroad, so I felt like the degree paid dividends immediately.

Now I don't do anything directly related to it -- but my ability to synthesize large amounts of written material was alone worth the price of admission.
    #1 skill needed for absolutely any profession to excel. I lack in this area so much where its extremely detrimental to my ceiling.
    Natural Immunity Croc

9. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

Hawk (05-14-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    I've been teaching English, etc in Japan for 25 years, basically semi-retired and self-employed from day one. I haven't exactly gotten rich but it's nice having no boss and plenty of free time.
    that's awesome. i've thought very briefly about doing something similar, teaching something abroad. i'm probably not too far off an english degree, so maybe i'll look into getting it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ESP47 View Post
    I aint jelly...you made the thread on **** you just don't understand and that's one of them.

This thread had potential and then quickly reverted to you guys flirting with each other about nonsense as usual.
    Sorry we didn't include you ESP. Would you feel better knowing we haven't mentioned your boyfriend without you?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    I've eaten at some solid places in Camden, but done so while hanging out with a group of black coworkers. I wouldn't risk venturing too far into camden on my own outside of the handful of well regulated white zones (Rutgers camden, waterfront attraction areas and transportation center) they took me to a really solid soul food place and mexican place.

Collingswood is cool, it's not my favorite but I get your connection. That being said, the Pop Shop is someplace I can eat regularly, I think they also used to have one of the places I'd go to get Panzerotti.
    I go to lunch at donkey's about once a month with a friend from work who grew up in camden and still lives there, and knows pretty much everyone we see, so i have no worries when i'm with him. i was robbed in camden once driving to my uni (rowan - they have a building right by 'gers camden that i took a few classes at), and i also used to take a stupid way to get there. stopped taking that way and stopping at red lights after that (a cop i spoke to soon after it happened told me just not to stop when i'm in that area), lol.

i worked at the pop shop when they first opened, i was 14 and a bus boy. i was there their first three nights open. i find their food terribly overrated and pricey, but i was really annoyed with the place by the time i left two years later, so that doesn't help.

i'm guessing the panzarottis you're talking about are from franco's. they're in haddon township, right next to collingswood. used to be in haddonfield but recently moved.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post

Ugh, part of me regrets not just pursuing english because I would've enjoyed college a lot more. I always loved every English prof. i had, too.

my job is FAR from anything in English, but being able to write well and having great reading comprehension (at least according to my standardized test scores) help with ANY job, as far as resumes, cover letters, and just generally speaking in interviews go. I always say I'm better at sounding smart than actually being smart, but maybe that's an intelligence in itself.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    And Vegas is awesome at night. It's a horror during the day.
    Lived there for 4 years.

I hated every moment of it after the first night there. Seen all I needed to see and wanted to move the next day.

Visiting is great, living there, no freaking way. You are literally 4 hours minimum from civilization when you leave town.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    If I were 21-23 and starting at the firm it would be amazing. Live in Manhattan and party hard. The firm treats you GREAT as long as you put in the hours and can tolerate the work. The pay is very good as a starting job and the bonuses are solid. Pay increases vary aligned with your performance. I would bet that E&Y is just as great. I'm always proud to say I work at PwC. I just can't deal with public accounting anymore.

I've done a bunch of things so far in my experience (as will you at E&Y). I starting auditing public insurance clients (AIG/Prudential/Phoenix Life Companies). Typically on those larger engagements you are going to be working on a small subsection of the audit whether it be cash/receivables/revenues. I requested to work on some advisory engagements in the off seasons. I was involved in the work performed for bank of America when they were issued a cease and desist order because they had no clue who their customers were (it was later found out that they held funds for the Mexican Drug Cartel and Terrorist Groups.

I've recently moved into Private client Services where I've worked on a wide assortment of clients. I've worked on a pharmaceutical testing company, alarm servicing company, paper distributer, makeup packaging manufacter, etc...

I would advise that you get involved in private client services. You really learn about how a business is run and get exposed to high level client contacts at an early stage in your career. This will allow you to be more marketable in the job market when you ultimately make the decisions if you are a big 4 lifer or just a resume builder (I'm the latter).
    I just turned down a job offer from PwC last month in the private client services department... Didn't give me the money I wanted so said no. But I respect the company

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I just turned down a job offer from PwC last month in the private client services department... Didn't give me the money I wanted so said no. But I respect the company
    What seniority level where you applying into?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    What seniority level where you applying into?
    Senior Associate.

I'm 4 years out of college this month - not sure if that is a good timeframe for that role. But they offered me less money than I make now - with far less bonus and a ****ty 401K plan. I would've considered if they were even in the same ballpark

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    This thread - the first few pages - were incredibly stupid. Always leave it to New Jersians to get hyper-sensative about everything.

I have a bunch of friends from New Jersey and they are the same way. They defend everything about the state and **** on everyone else. Obnoxious bunch of folks...

I went to school in VA, and my school was about 35% New Jersey people. For such a popular state - people seem to like to get the hell out of there as soon as they turn adult.

My gf is from NJ too, but she's not as obnoxious as the others.

In the course of the last few years, I've actually heard New Jersians claim:

We have the best:

Beaches
    Food
    Bagels
    Water
    Blueberries
    Tomatoes
    Dancers
    Schools
    Athletes
    Women
    Colleges (the person who told me this one went to college with me?)
    Weather

Seriously.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Senior Associate.

I'm 4 years out of college this month - not sure if that is a good timeframe for that role. But they offered me less money than I make now - with far less bonus and a ****ty 401K plan. I would've considered if they were even in the same ballpark
    Yeah, we seniors do not make enough money in comparison to the responsbilities and work load that is given to us. You really don't see the salary benefits until you make Partner or Director. But, having BIG 4 experience on your resume is an incredible thing to have. Good for you to be in a position to turn it down. Not surprised you would be dissatisfied with the salary.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Senior Associate.

What did you study?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    What did you study?
    Oddly - nothing of the sort. I studied digital video and marketing in college... But now exclusively do Enterprise account management.