Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trade Watch

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    I think if the braves are smart they keep A.J. he has had too much to do with miller's success and development

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I dont think we trade anyone for any prospect that would break our top 10. Grilli was signed to a multi year deal so he would have to give permission to be traded halfway thru the first year. Best 2 trades we can probably make are trading Chris Johnson and Maybin to a desperate contender just as a salary dump. That would save us 15.6 million in 2016 and 10 million in 2017. That would put us at about 46 million in payroll next year including arbitration raises for Minor/Miller/Avilan but not counting pre-arb players. I wont be surprised if we are in the running for guys like Price and Weiters.
    I still think it's a year early for the big moves on the FA market. I really think the plan right now is to clear as much payroll entering 2017 as possible while keeping your cornerstones (so really on CJ would need to be dumped), hopefully have some prearb players locked into spots (Peterson, Peraza, etc), and then make some noise in the FA market as we enter the new stadium. I have no idea what next years draft is looking like but the Braves are going to be primed for a top 5 pick imo and hopefully there will be a top tier college bat ready to contribute with only a year or so in the minors. That would be ideal imo. If all that pans out we'll be in good shape.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    I wouldn't want us to spend money on Weiters.

Play Bethancourt. Even if he sucks offensively he looks like he's finally learned how to play catcher like a big leaguer. Sign a position player for offense instead. Hell I'd rather go after Price anyhow if we're gonna be spending money.
    Forever Fredi

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

clvclv (05-14-2015), Hawk (05-14-2015), JohnAdcox (05-14-2015), jpx7 (05-14-2015), Julio3000 (05-14-2015)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Unless his arm falls off he will be tendered. He wont get a raise on the 5.6 million he made this year but the Braves would be crazy not to spend that much money to see if Minor can come back. Especially since we have 2 more years of team control left. I believe they spent 6 million on Cahill this year, so they are more than willing to spend 5.6 million on what could amount to nothing,
    As Carp rightly points out, they didn't spend that kind of money on Medlen or Beachy, and shoulder issues are always much tougher.

The Cahill situation is entirely different - they weren't going anywhere this season and thought he might be a worthwhile gamble given our lack of depth, the fact that they could walk away from him for nothing after the season, and the desire to keep Folty, Banuelos, and Wisler in the minors for as long as possible. Assuming Minor costs the same in 2016, that's $11.6 million that can be directed towards the pursuit of an Upton or Cespedes or even potentially signing one of the "Aces".

Worst case scenario - send some (or all) of that $11.6 million to someone to get them to take Chris Johnson and buy a pretty good prospect, then slide Peterson over to 3B when Peraza comes up.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-14-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I still think it's a year early for the big moves on the FA market. I really think the plan right now is to clear as much payroll entering 2017 as possible while keeping your cornerstones (so really on CJ would need to be dumped), hopefully have some prearb players locked into spots (Peterson, Peraza, etc), and then make some noise in the FA market as we enter the new stadium. I have no idea what next years draft is looking like but the Braves are going to be primed for a top 5 pick imo and hopefully there will be a top tier college bat ready to contribute with only a year or so in the minors. That would be ideal imo. If all that pans out we'll be in good shape.
    A top 5 pick could end up being the best thing that has happened to this franchise since stealing Freeman with a second round pick.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I'd LOVE a top pick. Something to add some sizzle to the top end of the farm is just what the doc ordered.
    Ivermectin Man

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (05-15-2015)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    It's hard to justify rooting against this team, but a bad season this year would really help. That 2016 draft is supposed to be loaded at the top. Getting a top pick there would be huge.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-14-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    I've decided I'm not rooting against the Braves but I feel like winning and losing is not important this year and I'm not getting upset when we lose. The important thing is developing this team for the next few years. Lets get Folty settled in, sustain Miller's success, break in Peterson, eventually get Peraza and Wisler up. If I see us doing those things, I'll consider the season a success. If we happen to get a top 5 pick...there are worse things.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (05-15-2015), clvclv (05-14-2015), Hawk (05-14-2015), JohnAdcox (05-14-2015), Julio3000 (05-15-2015), Tapate50 (05-14-2015)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    149 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I've decided I'm not rooting against the Braves but I feel like winning and losing is not important this year and I'm not getting upset when we lose. The important thing is developing this team for the next few years. Lets get Folty settled in, sustain Miller's success, break in Peterson, eventually get Peraza and Wisler up. If I see us doing those things, I'll consider the season a success. If we happen to get a top 5 pick...there are worse things.
    Agree but I also hope some of the younger outfielders like Cunningham, Perez and Hunter get a shot, too. Has anyone heard how Joey T. (Terdo) is doing health wise?

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buck75 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-15-2015), JohnAdcox (05-15-2015)

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    I think if the braves are smart they keep A.J. he has had too much to do with miller's success and development
    How so, mate? I’m not arguing — I’d just like to know more. I didn’t realize that.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Unfortunately it's probably this winter or never given our likely needs as 2017 nears - if you decide to "pass" on bidding for Justin/Cespedes and the "Aces" now, the pickings become much thinner the following winter...

1.) Carlos Gomez (will be 31 by then)
    2.) Alex Gordon (will be 33 by then)
    3.) Josh Reddick (will be 30 by then)
    4.) Mark Trumbo (will be 31 by then)
    5.) Angel Pagan (will be 35 by then)
    6.) Michael Cuddyer (will be 38 by then)
    7.) Marlon Byrd (will be 39 by then)

(I left off Jose Bautista since the Jays are likely to lock him up.)

1.) Stephen Strasburg (already having Minor-like shoulder issues)
    2.) Jered Weaver (will be 34 by then)

and not much else.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-15-2015)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    It's hard to justify rooting against this team, but a bad season this year would really help. That 2016 draft is supposed to be loaded at the top. Getting a top pick there would be huge.
    For those of you who are also hockey fans, we just went through this to a much more extreme scenario in Buffalo. Supposedly. there are 2 "generational talents" at the top of the '15 draft with Connor McDavid & Jack Eichel. The Sabres were expected to suck major ass wind, and lived up to expectations by finishing last overall. The NHL tries to discourage tanking with a draft lottery. So, the last place teams has only a 20% chance at the 1st overall pick but can only drop one place in the draft order. They did not win and got the "consolation prize," who would otherwise be the top pick in a different draft year.

The moral of this story is that this process is going to take much longer than what Braves fans will suffer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    This might be a good time to flip Cunningham and Gosselin.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,293 Posts
    Would anyone be against trading for Ryan Braun?

The Braves could pick up most of that contract and not have to surrender that much in terms of prospects. He seems like a really nice fit for LF.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

thethe (05-15-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Would anyone be against trading for Ryan Braun?

The Braves could pick up most of that contract and not have to surrender that much in terms of prospects. He seems like a really nice fit for LF.
    Kind of like this idea.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,293 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Kind of like this idea.
    he has 5 years 105 million left on his contract after this season (with a club option for 15 million). I don't know if the Braves would want to pick up the whole contract. But I think these are the types of moves that they should look to make if they want to add offense without draining their farm system.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    5 years and about $100M left on his deal after this season, including buyout money. We need a power hitter in the middle of the order, but buying his decline would be a pretty huge gamble.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,293 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    5 years and about $100M left on his deal after this season, including buyout money. We need a power hitter in the middle of the order, but buying his decline would be a pretty huge gamble.
    The alternative is signing a free agent at market rate who is going to be around Braun's age. It's pretty much impossible to find middle of the order hitters in their primes unless you develop your own or some team as moronic as Arizona trades you them.

I am curious which guys could become available. Would the Indians entertain the idea of trading Brantley? Pirates and Polanco/Marte? There's not a lot of obvious candidates.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Rather stay away from Braun to be honest.

Michael Brantley is who I want to target. We have the horses to get him this offseason if we really want him. We should have made a major push to get Josh Donaldson this past offseason. He was EXACTLY what we needed. Power bat at a position of need who is controllable.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,293 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Rather stay away from Braun to be honest.

Michael Brantley is who I want to target. We have the horses to get him this offseason if we really want him. We should have made a major push to get Josh Donaldson this past offseason. He was EXACTLY what wet needed. Power bat at a position of need who is controllable.
    Josh Donaldson is a perfect example of a guy we should have targeted. Premier defense at a weak position with right handed power. You couldn't design a better target than him.