Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trade Watch

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Trade Watch

Here's kind of a catch-all thread for looming trade discussions...

Braves signed Wil Nieves to a minor league deal this morning. Makes sense as a possible fill-in in the event that someone's sniffing around on A. J..
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Here's kind of a catch-all thread for looming trade discussions...

Braves signed Wil Nieves to a minor league deal this morning. Makes sense as a possible fill-in in the event that someone's sniffing around on A. J..
    Smells like Axe Body Spray, Mich Ultra, and winning.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

Carp (05-13-2015), JohnAdcox (05-13-2015), Tapate50 (05-13-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    I doubt AJ has any real trade value, so unless they just decided to dump him he's probably staying for now. But I hope I am wrong as I rather see Bethancourt and Nieves as that would be better for our pitchers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    This is ostensibly just a depth move since we didn't have a reasonable replacement if one of Bethancourt or Pierzynski is hurt.

I think the "leadership value" that AJ provides will outweigh the minimal trade value he has. It's more likely that Bethancourt is sent to GWI than it is that AJ is traded.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    This is ostensibly just a depth move since we didn't have a reasonable replacement if one of Bethancourt or Pierzynski is hurt.

I think the "leadership value" that AJ provides will outweigh the minimal trade value he has. It's more likely that Bethancourt is sent to GWI than it is that AJ is traded.
    Yea, you're probably right. Hart and AJ go way back so I'd be surprised if he moves him any sooner than closer to the deadline (and he might not move him at all since I doubt AJ will ever have much trade interest).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    As it stands now, here's how I view the value of our trade chips . . .

Players that could return a legit prospect (would make our top 10 list): Grilli
    Players that could return a mid-level prospect (would be 11-25 on our list): JJ
    Players that could return a fringe prospect (outside of our top 25): Avilan, KJ, Bert, AJ, Gomes
    Players that we'd need to send significant $ to move: CJ, Maybin, Cahill

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    As it stands now, here's how I view the value of our trade chips . . .

Players that could return a legit prospect (would make our top 10 list): Grilli
    Players that could return a mid-level prospect (would be 11-25 on our list): JJ
    Players that could return a fringe prospect (outside of our top 25): Avilan, KJ, Bert, AJ, Gomes
    Players that we'd need to send significant $ to move: CJ, Maybin, Cahill
    I'd argue that given the right situation A. J. could net a return of someone that might slip into our current Top 25, but it would have to be a team where he'd be a perfect fit - like Miami for instance. He'd be a nice fit between Stanton and whichever right-handed bat they've been hitting behind him on a given day to help balance the lineup. His experience would be invaluable as he'd join Prado and Morse as vets who can help the kids with no pennant race experience.

Otherwise I'd think those are pretty reasonable expectations as things stand today.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,740 Posts
    I dont think we trade anyone for any prospect that would break our top 10. Grilli was signed to a multi year deal so he would have to give permission to be traded halfway thru the first year. Best 2 trades we can probably make are trading Chris Johnson and Maybin to a desperate contender just as a salary dump. That would save us 15.6 million in 2016 and 10 million in 2017. That would put us at about 46 million in payroll next year including arbitration raises for Minor/Miller/Avilan but not counting pre-arb players. I wont be surprised if we are in the running for guys like Price and Weiters.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (05-13-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Grilli was signed to a multi year deal so he would have to give permission to be traded halfway thru the first year.
    To my knowledge, there are no restrictions on trading Grilli other than the usual limitation of not being able to trade players signed as free agents until mid-May or so. Beyond that, we do not need his permission to complete a trade since he doesn't have a no-trade clause and he doesn't have 10/5 rights.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Nieves deal includes a July 1 opt-out date, SB Nation’s Chris Cotillo tweets.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Not sure why people are dumping over Maybin. The guy has good power and is getting on base around a .320 clip. Isn't that the sort of player we thought we had when we signed BJ? If he keeps this up we won't have to worry about pawning him off. We'll have plenty of buyers.
    Last edited by Carp; 05-13-2015 at 07:46 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

Hawk (05-13-2015)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I dont think we trade anyone for any prospect that would break our top 10. Grilli was signed to a multi year deal so he would have to give permission to be traded halfway thru the first year. Best 2 trades we can probably make are trading Chris Johnson and Maybin to a desperate contender just as a salary dump. That would save us 15.6 million in 2016 and 10 million in 2017. That would put us at about 46 million in payroll next year including arbitration raises for Minor/Miller/Avilan but not counting pre-arb players. I wont be surprised if we are in the running for guys like Price and Weiters.
    Don't see any way Mike Minor is tendered a contract following this season personally.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Not sure why people sure dumping over Maybin. The guy has good power and is getting on base around a .320 clip. Isn't that sort of player we thought we had when we signed BJ? If he keeps this up we won't have to worry about pawning him off. We'll have plenty of buyers.
    You're making too much sense right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    I think Maybin is a useful player. He's the best CF we have on our 40-man roster right now. I'm just suggesting that no one is lining up to pay him the $9m he's owed next year based on his track record to date.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Not sure why people sure dumping over Maybin. The guy has good power and is getting on base around a .320 clip. Isn't that sort of player we thought we had when we signed BJ? If he keeps this up we won't have to worry about pawning him off. We'll have plenty of buyers.
    That's amazingly perceptive. You know, I never thought of it that way. We finally got the BJ Upton we wanted. It only cost us Craig Kimbrel.

The economics of baseball stinks.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-13-2015), Carp (05-13-2015), TXBravesFan (05-14-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I was thinking about Weiters the other day cajun. If CB turns into nothing this year I could see the interest being mutual. I like Price alot. I hope Greinke opts out and we pursue him.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    I think Maybin is a useful player. He's the best CF we have on our 40-man roster right now. I'm just suggesting that no one is lining up to pay him the $9m he's owed next year based on his track record to date.
    9 million is not a lot. And if he continues with his current production up to the all star break, I think plenty of teams would take on 9 million (plus his remaining contract for this year) for that sort of production. In fact, if he maintains his production up to the deadline then, IMO, we should keep him unless we get an actual prospect(s) of worth in return. The FA pool for CFers this off-season is barren. You have Fowler, Span, and Austin Jackson as the only guys who are legitimate CF starting options. I would rather not pay any of those guys more than 10 million per for the next 4 years, as they are likely to command. We could go the prospect route, with a Mallex Smith type, but that's a little risky if we have hopes of competing at all. And for a team bereft of power hitters, Maybin is a breath of fresh air. And seems to be well liked in the clubhouse from what I can tell.
    Last edited by Carp; 05-13-2015 at 08:39 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

clvclv (05-14-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    And if he continues with his current production up to the all star break, I think plenty of teams would take on 9 million (plus his remaining contract for this year) for that sort of production.
    I sincerely hope you're right. If he ends up having that kinds of value, that will make the Kimbrel deal all the better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,740 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Don't see any way Mike Minor is tendered a contract following this season personally.
    Unless his arm falls off he will be tendered. He wont get a raise on the 5.6 million he made this year but the Braves would be crazy not to spend that much money to see if Minor can come back. Especially since we have 2 more years of team control left. I believe they spent 6 million on Cahill this year, so they are more than willing to spend 5.6 million on what could amount to nothing,
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    While somewhat different situations, we cut bait with Meds and Beachy just this past off-season instead of paying them around 5 million a piece. Wouldn't surprise me to see Minor get the same treatment considering how much he will be due.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

clvclv (05-14-2015)