Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Braves To Discuss Stults' Future In Rotation

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,812 Posts

Braves To Discuss Stults' Future In Rotation

Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CrimsonCowboy For This Useful Post:

thethe (05-14-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I would like to see Cahill given another shot.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-14-2015), thethe (05-14-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Gave up on him way too quickly. I agree 100% with you.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    No, thanks. I would much rather see us give Wisler or Banuelos a shot. The beginning of this year was Cahill's 'one more shot,' and he was awful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    No, thanks. I would much rather see us give Wisler or Banuelos a shot. The beginning of this year was Cahill's 'one more shot,' and he was awful.
    ManBan is on a innings limit and doing well at AAA. I'd rather have him do that program there than up with the bigs.
    Ivermectin Man

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    ManBan is on a innings limit and doing well at AAA. I'd rather have him do that program there than up with the bigs.
    Agreed. Now Wisler I wouldn't be as opposed to bringing up.

I think the team should try, if possible, to take one more shot on a reclamation-type project though. The SP market league wide is starting to shape up pretty robustly and it would be awesome if the Braves had a chip or two to cash in around the deadline.
    Last edited by Hawk; 05-14-2015 at 10:24 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Gave up on him way too quickly. I agree 100% with you.
    thought he was being facetious.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    thought he was being facetious.
    I did too, but you can never quite tell with nscapi.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    While I think everyone agrees that Cahill was awful, IMO he's the likeliest replacement until after the break IF they're not going to give Wisler a shot. All three are likely to struggle, and since we've got $6 million already invested in him he's the most likely reclamation project to try to get something for (rather than trying to find another one from outside the organization).

Just personally feel that they don't want the kids on the shuttle between Atlanta and Gwinnett if they can possibly help it - once they're up, they're up for good unless they're so bad they HAVE to be sent back down. I think Folty's here to stay at this point unless he completely implodes, and that they think he'll be good enough to keep from getting killed (often, anyway) that he'll benefit much more from working with Roger on adjustments at this point. I think we'll see at least one - if not both - of the other kids at some point, but they've been pretty inconsistent thus far and neither have been getting deep enough into games to make you feel like they could get through an MLB lineup twice just yet. Once they string together 3 or 4 good starts where they get at least 7 innings deep I think at least one will be up. If both do that by the break, you're in a position where you could cut ties with Stults and if some miracle happens you could get something for Cahill if he puts 3-4 decent starts together.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    I'm confused. We only cared about Stults' ability to eat innings... What's the issue here?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    The good thing about the situation (as the article mentions) is that the decision doesn't have to be hurried - with the 2 off days they can skip that spot this time around. If Wisler tosses another gem tomorrow, that could force their hand a bit.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I'm confused. We only cared about Stults' ability to eat innings... What's the issue here?
    The issue? He's not eating innings. LOL

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    The Super Two cutoff over the past six year has ranged from 2.122 to 2.146. If we put those numbers against this year's calendar that date range would be May 12th - June 5th. In other words, if a players comes up on June 6th and is never optioned down again in the next 3 years, they would miss the Super Two cutoff by one day if recent trends hold. If they come up any sooner than that, we are knowingly risking an extra year of arbitration. Sure we could get lucky and have the Super Two range hit on the high end, but I don't think the reward is worth the risk this season.

With that being said, I'm really hoping we stick with Stults (or reasonable facsimile) for the next few weeks. Next best option would be to transition Williams Perez into that rotation spot. Anything that keeps Wisler and ManBan in Gwinnett works for me.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    The issue? He's not eating innings. LOL
    That's the issue, Stults can eat innings, but they are going to be terrible innings. He's simply awful.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    I'd like to see us stretch out Martin and give him a chance at a starting gig.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (05-14-2015), jpx7 (05-14-2015), rico43 (05-14-2015)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    That's the issue, Stults can eat innings, but they are going to be terrible innings. He's simply awful.
    That's funny, sad and true!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    I don't think Wisler is ready while Man-Ban is on an innings limit. But regardless I'd not start the clock on either at this point.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    It would make sense. Either that or keep him in the pen and let Fredi rip his arm off
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

22. The Following User Says Thank You to gilesfan For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-14-2015)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    The Super Two cutoff over the past six year has ranged from 2.122 to 2.146. If we put those numbers against this year's calendar that date range would be May 12th - June 5th. In other words, if a players comes up on June 6th and is never optioned down again in the next 3 years, they would miss the Super Two cutoff by one day if recent trends hold. If they come up any sooner than that, we are knowingly risking an extra year of arbitration. Sure we could get lucky and have the Super Two range hit on the high end, but I don't think the reward is worth the risk this season.

With that being said, I'm really hoping we stick with Stults (or reasonable facsimile) for the next few weeks. Next best option would be to transition Williams Perez into that rotation spot. Anything that keeps Wisler and ManBan in Gwinnett works for me.
    Not really - you could always tweak their service time a bit during the break. Sending them down to get a couple short starts (4-5 IP to stay sharp) while skipping that slot in the rotation the first time through and shuffling the rotation after the break to make sure it comes up fifth would buy you a couple of weeks.

Assuming they skip Stults' next turn, that spot in the rotation won't need a starter until May 24th against the Brewers.
    Last edited by clvclv; 05-14-2015 at 11:43 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    That's not a bad idea. Amongst all this hustle bustle I can't believe that didn't come to my mind.

However, I'm sure the Braves keep him in the pen. That backend of it is such a wasteland of atrocity that I think they are afraid to take him out of it.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

clvclv (05-14-2015)