Thread: Baseball Cards

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts

Baseball Cards

I have a baseball cards, 90 % of them are Hall Famers from the 1970's and 80's. Are they worth anything?

I have most of the famous Braves of that time, but no Aaron.

Mostly the best players from 1976 to 1982.

Ryan, Schmidt, Rose, Palmer, Bench, Blyleven, et al.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,900 Posts
    Not as much as you'd hope. Market for em dried up hard about 7 or 8 years ago. Hold onto em and give them to a son that might appreciate them
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Not as much as you'd hope. Market for em dried up hard about 7 or 8 years ago. Hold onto em and give them to a son that might appreciate them
    I was doing the old Spring cleaning and looked inside a box and said 'holy sh*t, I remembered these"

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AerchAngel For This Useful Post:

TomahawkCult (05-18-2015), weso1 (05-15-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Some baseball nerd will be interested in that crap.
    thank you weso1!

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    I have a baseball cards, 90 % of them are Hall Famers from the 1970's and 80's. Are they worth anything?

I have most of the famous Braves of that time, but no Aaron.

Mostly the best players from 1976 to 1982.

Ryan, Schmidt, Rose, Palmer, Bench, Blyleven, et al.
    Condition, condition, condition. If they have been in sleeves since Day One, might have some premium value.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

FreemanFan (05-17-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,900 Posts
    Jeter rookie card as well
    Ivermectin Man

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    My Dad gave me a huge box of his baseball cards from the 60s-early 70s a few years ago and I spent an entire day going through each of them and trying to ascertain value -- which was difficult unto itself. I think one was worth $2.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    The market for them will come back eventually. But yeah I had an insert that had Druw on one side and Griffey on the other. Was worth like 75 bucks at one point. It might be worth 20 bucks now.

Rookie cards are still worth some money depending on the brand of the card. Last I checked my Ken Griffey Jr. Bowman rookie card was still going for around 90 bucks or more.
    Last edited by Carp; 05-16-2015 at 01:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    I do have Jeff Burroughs, Dale Murphy, Phil Niekro and Bob Horner Braves cards.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    I do have Jeff Burroughs, Dale Murphy, Phil Niekro and Bob Horner Braves cards.
    I used to be heavy into them for some reason. Still have my valuable cards....I have a Triple Threads HOF Autographed Jersey Card of Tony Dorsett, Jim Brown and Barry Sanders. I've resisted selling it forever. I think I still have a valuable collection but as stated earlier, the market dried up about 7 years ago. I gave a lot to my daughter and son.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    I used to be heavy into them for some reason. Still have my valuable cards....I have a Triple Threads HOF Autographed Jersey Card of Tony Dorsett, Jim Brown and Barry Sanders. I've resisted selling it forever. I think I still have a valuable collection but as stated earlier, the market dried up about 7 years ago. I gave a lot to my daughter and son.
    Thanks.

The cool factor is I was going to throw it in the dumpster and didn't care what was in the shoe box, just glad I looked at it.

Playing the Waiting Game Krovahn's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    I have few old cards (since I am only 26 myself); I do have some Chipper and A-Rod rookie cards, though. A couple old Eddie Mathews cards. Then a ton of stuff from the 80s and 90s. Unfortunately, as has been said, a lot of the stuff isn't worth much anymore. Hang onto it and hopefully someday they will make a comeback.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    I collected for over 20 years and have thousands of cards. Like rico43 said, condition is crucial. In Near Mint-Mint condition or better those cards are worth good money, but not as much as they were worth in the '90s. Grading companies killed the market for raw/ungraded cards. 1/1 inserts didn't help, either. Scarcity has a totally different meaning now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    I have multiple Smoltz and Maddux rookie cards among many others, all are in sleeves or screw cases. But I haven't checked a Beckett or been to a Baseball Card shop in years so I am not up on the value of them. Have they went up any due to them making the HOF? I just keep them packed up for most part as I have moved a few times in recent years.

One of my most prized Braves items is a baseball signed by all the main players from the 1991 worst-to-first team. I worked hard to get all those signatures in Spring Training in '91 and few others in '92. That was back when they had ST in West Palm Beach, Florida.
    Last edited by Braves1976; 05-17-2015 at 09:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    None of them are frayed if you are asking.

I have a lot of cards from the late 70's. Most of all the CY Young and All Stars and Hall of Famers. I guess I sold the several thousand I had when I lived back home in Kentucky before I moved to England, that would be 1986, so it wasn't worth much, a few hundred dollars but I think some of those famous rookies started during that time. Oh well my loss.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    I have multiple Smoltz and Maddux rookie cards among many others, all are in sleeves or screw cases. But I haven't checked a Beckett or been to a Baseball Card shop in years so I am not up on the value of them. Have they went up any due to them making the HOF? I just keep them packed up for most part as I have moved a few times in recent years.

One of my most prized Braves items is a baseball signed by all the main players from the 1991 worst-to-first team. I worked hard to get all those signatures in Spring Training in '91 and few others in '92. That was back when they had ST in West Palm Beach, Florida.
    Do baseball card places even exist anymore, because there aren't any more here. Man, the days, everytime we went into town I had to go to the baseball card shop and do some research and do some trading and buying and I could not wait, I mean not wait, to get the next edition of Beckett!