Thread: MLB should do a much better job marketing its stars.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts

MLB should do a much better job marketing its stars.

I was flipping through the Braves/Marlins and the Tigers/Cards game and I noticed that the announcers in the latter game were talking about how great Iglesias was and how they were disappointed in watching him play (because of his mediocre defense) as though they thought he was the next great SS since Ozzie Smith. Iglesias shouldn't even be in the damn conversation. This really pissed me off as I was thinking to myself, well have you not seen a certain guy play SS for Atlanta? He's arguably made plays that Ozzie never made. The play he made this year against the Mets was one that, imo, Ozzie couldn't have made. But then I thought about it a bit further and I realized, well while the commentator should be paying more attention to baseball, it's not truly his fault that he didn't know that Simmons is the answer to the guy who might be better than Ozzie. Truth be told it's up to MLB to make Simmons the next Ozzie or the guy who is better than Ozzie. Where is MLB on this? I feel like only the Braves and the deepest followers of baseball know who Simmons is and what he means in regards to baseball history?. On that same note I'm trying to figure out why haven't they truly marketed Trout and Stanton? Guys that are freaks in this modern era.

Trout is a modern day baseball freak and should be marketed as the next Mickey Mantle. Stanton is hitting unbelievable rockets yet where's the marketing for this guy? I just don't understand what MLB is doing here. In regard to Simmons, and I guess as a Braves fan this where my true grump lies, You've got an unbelievable defensive SS and he's being ignored for no apparent reason.
    Last edited by weso1; 05-15-2015 at 09:26 PM.
    thank you weso1!

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Jon Morosi tweeted the other day that Adeiny Hechavarria 'might be' the best defensive SS in MLB. I shed a small tear for the ignorance.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-15-2015), Julio3000 (05-15-2015), The Chosen One (05-16-2015)

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,023 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    I was flipping through the Braves/Marlins and the Tigers/Cards game and I noticed that the announcers in the latter game were talking about how great Iglesias was and how they were disappointed in watching him play (because of his mediocre defense) as though they thought he was the next great SS since Ozzie Smith. Iglesias shouldn't even be in the damn conversation. This really pissed me off as I was thinking to myself, well have you not seen a certain guy play SS for Atlanta? He's arguably made plays that Ozzie never made. The play he made this year against the Mets was one that, imo, Ozzie couldn't have made. But then I thought about it a bit further and I realized, well while the commentator should be paying more attention to baseball, it's not truly his fault that he didn't know that Simmons is the answer to the guy who might be better than Ozzie. Truth be told it's up to MLB to make Simmons the next Ozzie or the guy who is better than Ozzie. Where is MLB on this? I feel like only the Braves and the deepest followers of baseball know who Simmons is and what he means in regards to baseball history?. On that same note I'm trying to figure out why haven't they truly marketed Trout and Stanton? Guys that are freaks in this modern era.

Trout is a modern day baseball freak and should be marketed as the next Mickey Mantle. Stanton is hitting unbelievable rockets yet where's the marketing for this guy? I just don't understand what MLB is doing here. In regard to Simmons, and I guess as a Braves fan this where my true grump lies, You've got an unbelievable defensive SS and he's being ignored for no apparent reason.
    They don't play for the Yankees, so there's your answer.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Jon Morosi tweeted the other day that Adeiny Hechavarria 'might be' the best defensive SS in MLB. I shed a small tear for the ignorance.
    Jon Morosi might be the most perceptive writer in MLB.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,741 Posts
    Remember how much press Rey Ordonez got for the Mets.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    Cause he isn't flashy. He doesn't hit, he doesn't steal bases, he doesn't leap unnecessarily.

Trout has gotten plenty of play. I think the "concern" with boosting Trout and Stanton too hard is steroids. MLB did it with A-Fraud, and Sosa and McGwire, and that backfired.

I think the issue if you would is MLB leaves the promotion to the locals. Which creates an issue when you're dealing with ****ty local broadcasters.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    That is hilariously stupid.