Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The rotation

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

The rotation

As it sits right now the Braves rotation has an average age of just shy of 24. Yes 24. You have Teheran, Wood, Miller and Perez at age 24 and Foltynewicz at age 23.

Add to that in the minors Banuelos at age 24, Wisler age 23, Jenkins 23, and do not forget Freid at 21 who is recovering from TJ, and is highly rated as well.

How many teams can match this for the future?

now to fix the relief pitching.......
    Last edited by depley; 05-21-2015 at 03:15 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,535 Posts
    Who is Woods?

I'm just messing with ya. Seriously though, we have a very exciting rotation for the future with so much depth. As much **** as I give Hart, he did accomplish his main task this winter.

And I think the Mets are pretty close, if not better on that front.

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Who is Woods?

I'm just messing with ya. Seriously though, we have a very exciting rotation for the future with so much depth. As much **** as I give Hart, he did accomplish his main task this winter.

And I think the Mets are pretty close, if not better on that front.
    Mets start with a 41 YO in Colon, Neise is 28 Harvey , DeGrom are 26 so they are a good bit older than the braves starters

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,902 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by depley View Post
    Mets start with a 41 YO in Colon, Neise is 28 Harvey , DeGrom are 26 so they are a good bit older than the braves starters
    Yeah but Harvey by himself is better than all of our starters combined. Also, Degrom would probably be our best pitcher as well.

Braves are going to have a great rotation for years to come though.
    Natural Immunity Croc

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I think the Mets and Nats are set up better for rotations moving forward. They have more guys w/ playoff/miss bat stuff.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Maddux was good, like really really really good, like ungodly good.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    As it sits right now the Braves rotation has an average age of just shy of 24. Yes 24. You have Teheran, Wood, Miller and Perez at age 24 and Foltynewicz at age 23.

Add to that in the minors Banuelos at age 24, Wisler age 23, Jenkins 23, and do not forget Freid at 21 who is recovering from TJ, and is highly rated as well.

How many teams can match this for the future?

now to fix the relief pitching.......
    But they've all struggled this year at one time or another except Miller. They're all young and promising, no doubt about that. All except Perez (not sure about Jenkins) were high draft choices. And starting pitching is job #1 when building, or rebuilding a contenter.

With our offense the pitching had better be good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,994 Posts
    And a good bit better

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,743 Posts
    The flaw I think in the Braves philosophy is they want to create a team thats competitive every year. With all these great cheap players it would be best to supplement them with big free agents that might not be the best long term investment rather than trade from our wealth of prospects. We could probably sign Price/Weiters/JUpton this offseason and be around the 100-110 million salary we were at last year. Those deals might be bad 3-4 years in but in the meantime we could win championships.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    The flaw I think in the Braves philosophy is they want to create a team thats competitive every year. With all these great cheap players it would be best to supplement them with big free agents that might not be the best long term investment rather than trade from our wealth of prospects. We could probably sign Price/Weiters/JUpton this offseason and be around the 100-110 million salary we were at last year. Those deals might be bad 3-4 years in but in the meantime we could win championships.
    I'm fairly confident that we are going to be aggressive in FA for the right pieces in the next 2 offseasons.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Millwood1Hitter For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (05-22-2015)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post
    I'm fairly confident that we are going to be aggressive in FA for the right pieces in the next 2 offseasons.
    I wish I had the same confidence you had. I don't see Liberty plugging more money into the team anytime soon.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    I think we're definitely going to go hard after Neftali Feliz.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Have no proof to the contrary, but recent disasters with high profile/high dollar FA's has persuaded the organization to shy away. Even when they were among the top payrolls, seldom was it simply a matter of submitting the top bid. Like they did back in 1990, they'll bring a veteran presence, like they did with Charlie Liebrandt, to help tutor the kids and add experience. More likely scenario is to go about it through trade. Just don't see them going upwards of $20MM for a starting pitcher.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Knucksie For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (05-21-2015)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Just don't personally see any reason they'd trade any of this depth. Some of the young hitters you might target are "sexy" and exciting, but the old "Braves' Way" was the template for this entire exercise - the pitching depth has now been rebuilt to the point that you'd still be a contender if you walked out on that limb an offered big money to an "Ace" like they did when they went after Maddux. If that "Ace" went on the shelf, you'd still have plenty of SPs capable of stepping up to keep you in games.

All the depth Hart & Company have acquired - plus all the picks in a couple weeks - have given you the cushion to actually "miss" on a high-priced free-agent and still stay in the race. There's a HUGE reason the Mutts haven't been willing to give up a deGrom, Syndergaard, or Matz for someone like Tulo - they're one pitch away from losing Harvey forever, will be one pitch away from losing Wheeler forever when he comes back, etc..

It's the "old guy" in me, but I'd NEVER give up 6 years of Syndergaard or Matz AND $118 million for 6 years of Tulo no matter how close I was to winning it all. If the Rockies were willing to eat half of that cash, we might have something to talk about.

TJ or no TJ, the Giants will always regret giving up Wheeler for Beltran just like many people around here love to point out that they'd never have traded Wainright for J. D. Drew.
    Last edited by clvclv; 05-21-2015 at 11:13 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    This is the goal of every front office in the game - I'd personally be more than happy to see 14 more flags flying at SunTrust Park when I'm 65 even if only one of them was red (like the 1995 one at The Ted).
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    Have no proof to the contrary, but recent disasters with high profile/high dollar FA's has persuaded the organization to shy away. Even when they were among the top payrolls, seldom was it simply a matter of submitting the top bid. Like they did back in 1990, they'll bring a veteran presence, like they did with Charlie Liebrandt, to help tutor the kids and add experience. More likely scenario is to go about it through trade. Just don't see them going upwards of $20MM for a starting pitcher.

I don't know that I agree with that. We just gave Nick the Stick a good sized contract, outbidding at least a couple other teams. We made a good sized bid for Olivera as well. We showed at least mild interest in signing Lester and Moncada as well. While I know Nick's contract is nowhere near 100 million, I still think it shows a willingness by us to pay for players we really want and fit what what we are looking for.
    Last edited by Carp; 05-21-2015 at 11:38 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heywood View Post
    I wish I had the same confidence you had. I don't see Liberty plugging more money into the team anytime soon.
    I disagree. Every single team spends more money leading up to a new stadium opening. We were in a couple free agents this past winter before they signed with other teams. And this is even with Craig and BeeJ still on the team. Only reason why payroll is down is because we started our rebuild and managed to free ourselves from BJ.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I see us spending money to. They need more drawing power going into the new stadium and could use a thumper in LF. And possibly a C if CB doesn't work out. Who knows what direction they'll go but it won't be by being cheap.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I think the Mets and Nats are set up better for rotations moving forward. They have more guys w/ playoff/miss bat stuff.
    Now, yes.

But Strasburg hasnt been good this year.

Zimmerman is probably gone after the year, maybe Fister too.

They do have guys like mini Gio and Cole though coming up.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heywood View Post
    with Uggla, Kimbrel, and BJ all off the books, there's plenty of money to spend.

I dont see them going after an ace with all the pitching they've got, or Justin/Jason.

But other types i can see them go for.

They dont really have a choice but to not spend.

They toyed with Lester, made a run at Moncada, Olivera, and few others. If the right player is there, they'll go for them.

They only have 66 mil in contracts next year pre-arb, and thats before buying out Cahill which takes that down to 53 mil.

Could trade Grilli, possibly CJ to save even more.
    Last edited by Heyward; 05-22-2015 at 02:04 AM.