Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Heyman: Braves inquired on Lucroy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,901 Posts

Heyman: Braves inquired on Lucroy

CBS Sports' Jon Heyman reports that the Braves inquired on Jonathan Lucroy but were told he was not available.
    The Brewers are going to be sellers prior to the trade deadline, but one guy they appear intent on keeping is Lucroy, who is under team control cheaply through 2017. Heyman adds that the Braves have been "disappointed" by the play of Christian Bethancourt, who is batting just .190/.215/.286 and hasn't been as good as expected defensively.
    Ivermectin Man

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-22-2015), JohnAdcox (05-22-2015), jpx7 (05-22-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Oh, that's awesome if they could get him. I mentioned earlier in another thread that Lucroy would be a perfect option for us. I mean just absolutely exactly what we need.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    It's good that they inquired on him, I'd keep checking back in case they change their mind. But either way it depends on the cost in a trade, I want him but not bad enough to overpay in a trade.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-22-2015)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Well, it's hard to know what we have in CB as a young guy who doesn't play but once a week. Yes, I like CB a lot. Biased because I've seen him since rookie ball. There. I said it.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deester11 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-22-2015), Powder Blues (05-22-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    Well, it's hard to know what we have in CB as a young guy who doesn't play but once a week. Yes, I like CB a lot. Biased because I've seen him since rookie ball. There. I said it.
    Yup, kid needs to play every day at this point.
    Natural Immunity Croc

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-22-2015), Powder Blues (05-22-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Yup, kid needs to play every day at this point.
    I am not high on him doing much offensively long-term but either way I agree the kid should get a real shot. He is lazy at times on defense but even so he's night and day better than AJ in that area. But that isn't saying a lot since AJ is among the worst defensively outside of blocking balls.
    Last edited by Braves1976; 05-22-2015 at 11:45 AM.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I assume the inquiry was a value inquiry. If the Braves were looking to get him as the missing piece for a run, they're massive fools.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

12. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (05-22-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    It's good that they inquired on him, I'd keep checking back in case they change their mind. But either way it depends on the cost in a trade, I want him but not bad enough to overpay in a trade.
    This is more or less how I feel. He fits a big need for us through 2017 at a low salary, but the prospect outlay might just be too much. It's the right thing to look into this, but proceed with caution.

I am not a believer in Bethancourt as a starting catcher in this league. Because of his arm strength and athleticism, I think a lot of folks overvalue his defense. From what I've seen so far, his defense is pedestrian. When you combine that with a projected OBP that starts with a 2 . . . I'd like to pursue short-term and long-term upgrades.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-22-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    I assume the inquiry was a value inquiry. If the Braves were looking to get him as the missing piece for a run, they're massive fools.
    Assuming the big league club would stay the same, then I think your general point is asinine. With Lucroy the Braves are absolutely wild card contenders (assuming he's healthy).

Put Skyrim down and start paying attention. The Braves aren't as bad as you think they are.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

Heyward (05-22-2015), Hudson2 (05-22-2015), Powder Blues (05-22-2015), thethe (05-22-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    I see people mentioning Miller for Lucroy. Not interested in that trade AT ALL. Maybe if they throw in Arcia, Taylor, and Medeiros.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Assuming the big league club would stay the same, then I think your general point is asinine. With Lucroy the Braves are absolutely wild card contenders (assuming he's healthy).

Put Skyrim down and start paying attention. The Braves aren't as bad as you think they are.
    Its sad that a large contingent of the negabraves still haven't come to grips with the fact that they were wrong and the Braves are in good hands.
    Natural Immunity Croc

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (05-22-2015), Powder Blues (05-22-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    I see people mentioning Miller for Lucroy. Not interested in that trade AT ALL. Maybe if they throw in Arcia, Taylor, and Medeiros.
    Yeah, not a chance that the Braves make that deal. Miller looks like an absolute TOR horse right now.
    Natural Immunity Croc

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (05-22-2015), FreemanFan (05-22-2015)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post

I will not put Skyrim down. The texture packs alone!

And if everything goes the Braves way, and Lucroy plays like an MVP again, sure they'd be contenders. But it's baseball, when does everything break your way over the course of a season?

Using fWAR Braves have the 8th best position players, and 13th best pitching. Would the 4-5 fWAR improvement from LuCroy really push us over the top? Assume Tron keeps hitting, we're still trotting out basically the same team as last year offensively (Heyward for Tron, Justin for Lucroy, Freddie for Freddie) but you have to ask who's the Gattis? Who's the 4th? And then you deal with pitching. Assume Miller replaces Julio's value from last year and Wood replaces Santana, and Julio bounces back enough to replace Wood's, who replaces Harang's value?

Last year we weren't good enough to make the playoffs, why would we be this year if we added LuCroy? All the teams who made the playoffs last year are still doing alright. Pirates aren't too hot, but the Cubs are seemingly able to replace them.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I will not put Skyrim down. The texture packs alone!

And if everything goes the Braves way, and Lucroy plays like an MVP again, sure they'd be contenders. But it's baseball, when does everything break your way over the course of a season?

Using fWAR Braves have the 8th best position players, and 13th best pitching. Would the 4-5 fWAR improvement from LuCroy really push us over the top? Assume Tron keeps hitting, we're still trotting out basically the same team as last year offensively (Heyward for Tron, Justin for Lucroy, Freddie for Freddie) but you have to ask who's the Gattis? Who's the 4th? And then you deal with pitching. Assume Miller replaces Julio's value from last year and Wood replaces Santana, and Julio bounces back enough to replace Wood's, who replaces Harang's value?

Last year we weren't good enough to make the playoffs, why would we be this year if we added LuCroy? All the teams who made the playoffs last year are still doing alright. Pirates aren't too hot, but the Cubs are seemingly able to replace them.
    Because the game isn't won using fWAR.

If the Braves upgrade their weakest offensive position that is a tricle down affect where pitchers are worked over and the bullpen is more involved sooner. Folty has the potential to become a dominant pitcher. Anything can happen. Watch the damn team play and don't just be married to frangraphs. This years team at the very worst is as good as last years team without an upgrade or expected improvements from current roster guys.

Last years team was awful.
    Natural Immunity Croc

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (05-22-2015), mfree80 (05-22-2015)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    The Braves weakest offensive position right now is 3B.
    Forever Fredi

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (05-22-2015), jpx7 (05-22-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heywood View Post
    The Braves weakest offensive position right now is 3B.
    Just based on the performance thus far but that doesn't mean much to me.

Based on the internal options and the fact that AJ's early season performance looks like an aberration I'm fairly confident in saying that C is our weakest position right now. This is of course assuming that Peraza will be up soon and Jace will be our third baseman.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    There's using advanced stats to provide support for an argument, and then there's using these stats as the sole determination of everything. Using it as if it's the end-all, be-all, as zito and others frequently do, is really just..not intelligent. Citing fWAR while not watching games and not taking other things into consideration is why people hate on statheads.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (05-22-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Just based on the performance thus far but that doesn't mean much to me.

Based on the internal options and the fact that AJ's early season performance looks like an aberration I'm fairly confident in saying that C is our weakest position right now. This is of course assuming that Peraza will be up soon and Jace will be our third baseman.
    yeah, no doubt. catcher will be weaker than 3B over the season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    There's using advanced stats to provide support for an argument, and then there's using these stats as the sole determination of everything. Using it as if it's the end-all, be-all, as zito and others frequently do, is really just..not intelligent. Citing fWAR while not watching games and not taking other things into consideration is why people hate on statheads.
    All the stats showed that the Braves would have an epically bad offense this year. All the stats showed that Shelby Miller for Heyward was a moronic trade by the Braves...likewise with Upton.

The principal saber posters on this board all continued to tell us how terrible John Hart was as a GM and that they ruined a great Braves team.

Its a great piece to use in a discussion but to act like there is no need to discuss anything else is as foolish as those that don't use stats at all...maybe more.
    Natural Immunity Croc

32. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

mfree80 (05-22-2015)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    All depends on what it would cost to get him.

But he would make the Braves contenders for a WC spot without a doubt if they could add a couple bullpen arms as well.