Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 5/23/15 Brewers @ Braves

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I don't think you can just ignore the long term impact of a playoff appearance could have on the finances/valuation of the team. That stuff matters though not as much as the talent in the pipeline. Braves could look at that the potential future financial gain outweighs the impact of getting 1-2 C+ prospects. If the fanbase is excited about a potential world series team going into 2017 then the possibliities are endless for profits. A playoff birth in 2015 can be the start of that. Its not like they are going to have to give up anything of significance for a relief pitcher.
    I think you're both overestimating the likely fiscal gains from a potential playoff berth in 2015 (as, obviously, deciding to "go for it" in June/July assures nothing tangible), and underestimating what some of these veterans may net from desperate teams; but instead of typing anymore myself, I'll simply refer you to this:

Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Especially Grilli and Johnson. With how those two are pitching we might get a couple of solid prospects for them. Just think if Carpenter and Shreve can get us Man Ban, we might be able to get a similar prospect for either of those guys.
    Last edited by jpx7; 05-23-2015 at 08:02 PM.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-23-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I understand your point and its more consistent with where the Braves are headed. I just think it needs to be considered. There needs to be a big buzz going into 2017 and you are basically banking on 2016 to be a playoff year. I don't think the team should go into the new stadium not having been the postseason in the two years prior.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,291 Posts
    To me there is nothing more valueable than a #1 starting pitcher if you are a team thats ultimate goal is to win a world series.

The trade would have to be so over the top that I doubt any team would actually make the offer.
    An all star position player under control trumps the volatility of pitchers.

Kiley McDaniel said it best in his prospect rankings. He said when he has a pitching prospect and a hitting prospect graded the same (ie a FV of 60) then the tie ALWAYS goes to the position player because of injury risk.

I understand your point and I agree with you for the most part. I just think I am a bit more receptive to what the "right offer" actually is.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-23-2015), jpx7 (05-23-2015)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Scioscia left in CJ Wilson after 100+ pitches against Napoli who already hit a homer in the game and it's a L-R matchup.

Napoli just homered again, and Scioscia has left in Wilson at 113 pitches to face one more lefty. Wilson just got hit in the leg ona grounder and was limping. He's still in the game for ANOTHER Batter.

----

Could you imagine the profanities on this board if Fredi even did half of this sequence? This is the beloved Mike Scioscia...
    Forever Fredi

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heywood View Post
    Scioscia left in CJ Wilson after 100+ pitches against Napoli who already hit a homer in the game and it's a L-R matchup.

Napoli just homered again, and Scioscia has left in Wilson at 113 pitches to face one more lefty. Wilson just got hit in the leg ona grounder and was limping. He's still in the game for ANOTHER Batter.

----

Could you imagine the profanities on this board if Fredi even did half of this sequence? This is the beloved Mike Scioscia*...
    Wilson strikes out Holt to extinguish the threat; Fredi, ever the student of the game, takes note .

*Never been a big fan of Scioscia, myself.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (05-23-2015)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I don't think you make phone calls selling the guy off, but if a team like Boston gets desperate in July for pitching and offers a great package then you have to be willing to listen.
    Elite SP is what wins in October.

There's maybe 10-15 legit aces or so in all of baseball, not sure i'd trade him.

Not saying he is close to in that class but top tier SP's are pretty much as valuable as it gets.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    And Wilson strikes out Holt to extinguish the threat; Fredi, ever the student of the game, takes note .

*Never been a big fan of Scioscia, myself.
    Just sayin'...

• Leaves in Wilson after 100 pitches.
    • Leaves in pitcher to face batter that already homered against him earlier in the game, at over 100 pitches.
    • Leaves in pitcher after go ahead 2-run homerun, at over 100 pitches.
    • Leaves in pitcher after he gets hit by a ball and noticeably limps, after 100 pitches.
    • Leaves in pitcher who has nothing left to face one more batter because it's a L-L matchup, at 115 pitches.

Scioscia is a guy people like Zito have a hard-on for to be the manager of our team, guy hasn't won a world series in 13 years and his team gets a much better payroll budget than ours.

God have mercy on Fredi on this board if he even did half of these.

• At least we know Fredi pulls guys out usually around 90-100 pitches.
    • We know he's going to do LOOGY-ROOGY matchups as much as he can even if splits state otherwise.
    • We know he likes going to his bullpen sooner than later.
    • It's a miracle if he lets any of his pitchers make it past 105 pitches, let alone 118.
    • Pitcher gets hurt, still leaves him in. Everyone points to Teheran a few weeks ago, but Fredi has taken out pitchers whov'e been injured plenty.
    Forever Fredi

11. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Runnin (05-24-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Didn't Hawk say he would be at today's game? If so, he went to a good one and got to see a walk off Braves win.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

Hawk (05-24-2015)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    Didn't Hawk say he would be at today's game? If so, he went to a good one and got to see a walk off Braves win.
    Yes, he said Sat/Sun.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-23-2015), jpx7 (05-23-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    I thought I'd point out that Jace Peterson's 5 DRS at second base coming into today is the second best in the Majors among second baseman. That isn't a surprise, what is a surprise to me is that Dee Gordon has a 10 DRS so far this year which is tops among all second basemen. I really didn't think Gordon would hit as well as he has thus far nor play such great defense at second. But even with him doing so the Marlins are still a mess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    .500 BABY!!!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

TomahawkCult (05-24-2015)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I understand your point and its more consistent with where the Braves are headed. I just think it needs to be considered. There needs to be a big buzz going into 2017 and you are basically banking on 2016 to be a playoff year. I don't think the team should go into the new stadium not having been the postseason in the two years prior.
    Why?

Pirates opened PNC despite not being in th eplayoffs for 8 years, Philly had missed the playoffs for a decade before moving into CBP, Tigers went into Comerica not making the playoffs for 5 years. Brewers hadn't been in th eplayoffs since the 80s when Miller park opened up. Marlins were just shy of a decade from their last playoff birth before opening their new stadium. With new stadium boosts you don't need to be going into it with a winning team. Now you do need to go in with a little excitement though. I'm thinking if he's not extented getting Strasberg. Would be a horrible baseball move, but would probably pay for itself in about 2 years.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

20. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-24-2015)