Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    If you are a bar a half mile from Joe Blow brewing company and people aren't coming into your bar to drink Joe Blow Brew because they would rather just go to Joe Blow Brewery, you don't see how this would be an issue?
    why would the bar owner open a bar that close to the brewery?

you want me to feel bad for dumb business people?

your examples are awful btw
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    why would the bar owner open a bar that close to the brewery?

you want me to feel bad for dumb business people?

your examples are awful btw

It's the breweries that are opening up close to bars. These places are popping up everywhere.......which is exactly my original point.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    So if the Brewery is making money, then why does that bar sale really matter? Either things aren't what you're describing or they ran a ****ty business.
    These breweries aren't going to survive by simply selling beer out of their place.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    OT - Spout box wine is one of the best inventions I've run across in a while. The wine may not be top shelf but it's very drinkable and very convenient.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,900 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    OT - Spout box wine is one of the best inventions I've run across in a while. The wine may not be top shelf but it's very drinkable and very convenient.

That deserves its own thread entitled "Wine" where you can discuss the ins\outs of the craft boutique wineries only.
    Ivermectin Man

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Hawk (02-12-2015), jpx7 (02-22-2015), Prikichi (03-10-2015)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    It's the breweries that are opening up close to bars. These places are popping up everywhere.......which is exactly my original point.
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    These breweries aren't going to survive by simply selling beer out of their place.
    If they're taking that much business from bars around them they can. Either you're not explaining it right, there are other much bigger issues, or you're just making **** up. I've never heard of a bar dropping a brewery because people are getting beer at the brewery. Even if it's a brewpub, it doesn't corner the market on everything.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

9. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-22-2015)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Wine is more my thing, but when drinking beer, it better be something decent. Usually, that means it must come from England, Ireland, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Czech Republic, Poland, Italy, Australia, etc.

Abandoned American brews sometime in college, and gave up on the Canadian when Molson got absorbed into Coors. Had a pleasant surprise this year during the summer concert series at Canalside in Buffalo. Their concessions are more than adequate for these events. However, Labatt Blue or Labatt Blue Light seem kind of ordinary. So it was worth it sample Rusty Chain Flying Bison - a completely local brew - for a dollar extra.

More good news, some of the supermarkets carry it:

So, it's a nice alternative to Heineken or Stella Artois.
    Last edited by Knucksie; 03-17-2015 at 04:15 PM.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    That deserves its own thread entitled "Wine" where you can discuss the ins\outs of the craft boutique wineries only.
    Boxed wine definitely deserves its own thread.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (02-22-2015), zitothebrave (02-22-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    Wine is more my thing, but when drinking beer, it better be something decent. Usually, that means it must come from England, Ireland, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Czech Republic, Poland, Italy, Australia, etc.

Abandoned American brews sometime in college, and gave up on the Canadian when Molson got absorbed into Coors. Had a pleasant surprise this year during the summer concert series at Canalside in Buffalo. Their concessions are more than adequate for these events. However, Labatt Blue or Labatt Blue Light seem kind of ordinary. So it was worth it sample Rusty Chain Flying Bison - a completely local brew - for a dollar extra.
    There's a massive misconception about American beer that's basically perpetuated because of how terrible bud, miller/coors, etc. are. One of the world's (sadly former) most authorities on beer, Michael Jackson (not that one), said America was better than Europe and a healthy reason for that was there was no real preconceived notions. To pick on IPAs, the IIPAs, the West Coast styles, the East Coast Styles, and all that's in between, the US is entirely open in a way most European breweries are not.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    There's a massive misconception about American beer that's basically perpetuated because of how terrible bud, miller/coors, etc. are. One of the world's (sadly former) most authorities on beer, Michael Jackson (not that one), said America was better than Europe and a healthy reason for that was there was no real preconceived notions. To pick on IPAs, the IIPAs, the West Coast styles, the East Coast Styles, and all that's in between, the US is entirely open in a way most European breweries are not.
    The German beers deserve their reputation as among the world's finest. With Reinheitsgebot, there are no additives. They've been doing it right for hundreds of years! Pilsener is more to my tastes.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Knucksie For This Useful Post:

Hawk (02-25-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Definetly agree about the Germans. They know their beer. I'll take a German Hefe all day long.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

Hawk (02-25-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    The German beers deserve their reputation as among the world's finest. With Reinheitsgebot, there are no additives. They've been doing it right for hundreds of years! Pilsener is more to my tastes.
    For me, the best brewing countries would go 1. USA 2. Belgium 3. Germany. Maybe Britain over Germany as well. SOme really good british brewers. The Reinheitsgebot has one advantage and it stops the adjunct lagers that populate the US shelfs. But it also eliminates creativity. For example, rye beers, one of my favorite, are banned under the Reinheitsgebot. The entire purpose of the Reinheitsgebot wasn't purity, but to have brewers avoid using grains made in bread like wheat and rye.

Water, barley, hops and yeast all make for fine beers, most of the beer I like is brewed that way. But if I want a belgian triple or quad which has candi sugar in it. Not an option in germany. If I want a blueberry lager, not an option, if it's Halloween and I want some Punkin, not an option.

Also it's fair to note, the USA brewers have mastered the German styles. Run through beer advocate. The Bros ratings on all german styles. You find a US brewery at the top alone or tied. For example, in the Dortmunder, Great Lakes Edmund FItzgerald topped Ayinger's best offering. In Eisbock Kuhnhenn topped Schneider, In the german pilsner category 3 US breweries earned a 100, 0 german breweries did (Norway and Netherlands did though) In the Kellerbier, top goes to US, in Maibocks the top beer is a US beer, though not heavily reviewed to so to go to number 2, it's also a US beer, Go to a style you 100% expect German's to own Marzens or the Oktoberfest beers, you have 3 Americans to one German, Munich Dunkel Lager? 1 German and 1 US brewery earned top marks. Munich Helles Lager? Same thing. Rauchbier, USA, Schwarzbier tied at 1 a piece, Vienna Lager? USA.

To drive this point home. 3 of Great Lakes German inspired beers earned Beer Advocate 100s or a 99. US brewers have mastered most of the classic german styles and I think that's because we're not limited to expectations like German brewers are. Miller, Coors and Bud are all founded by German brewers where consistency is the thing that matters.

Got the Call to Lynchburg
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Orpheus Brewing / Transmigration of Souls double IPA: Absolutely amazingly smooth, piney, citrusy 10% ABV double IPA. Get it while you can, where you can - I'm lovin' it!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to MrShwag For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-05-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Caldera's Caldera IPA, out of Ashland, Oregon. Very well-executed, very sessionable, very hitting-all-the-marks straight-up American IPA.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

zitothebrave (03-06-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    35 hours til Philly Beerfest. WOOOO

24. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-06-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Damn delicious:

26. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

zitothebrave (03-07-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    My score from NJ in my beer trade with my brother.

6 pack of Spellbound IPA (new brewery), 6 pack of Flying Fish Exit 16, 6 pack of Loose Cannon, 2 Sculpin with Grapefruit, 2 Sculpin with Habanero (really excited to make my Mexican night with that one), 1 077XX (Carton had a shortage, my brother felt bad and gave me his last can as he was heading out this week to get another 4 pack) and a bottle of Flying Fish Exit 3, Blueberry Braggot. Really excited for all of these. I've had most of them but the Sculpins, Spellbound and Blueberry Bragoot. Had the first Spellbound last night when I got in, it's pretty solid. Nothing stands out just extremely well executed.

Then my haul of my own stuff. I built with my girl friend 2 mix 6s and also got a great brewers random 12 pack .Overall love the haul. Got from my choice, Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPA, Terrapin Hi-5, DC Brau The Corruption, Founders Breakfast Stout, Weyerbacher Blithering Idiot, Du Claw Hop Continuum No 1, Neshaminy Creek Jawn (tried this at Philly BF, it's amazing, and so fun to order), Deviant Dales, Weyerbacher Double Simcoe, Du Claw Serum, Troegs Perpetual IPA, Flying Dog Snake Dog IPA. I knwo my GF picked the last, one and maybe one more I forget. In the random 12, I got Saucony Creek Saucony Session, Epic Escape to Colorado IPA, Slyfox 113 IPA, Ballast Point Big Eye IPA, Smuttynose Winter Ale, Geary's Pale Ale, Lancaster Winter Warmer, Riverhorse Belgian Freeze, Belhaven Brewery Scottish Ale, Dogfish Piercing Pils, Saucony Creek Schnickelfritz, and another Breakfast Stout.

Overall it's a great hoard. I'm planning on going back down in April but doing less of a purchase/exchange. Will still do some but not essentially 2 cases worth. Especially since I plan to go back in June.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Went to 3 breweries here in my 4 days in San Diego.

Stone Brewery
    Societe
    Ballast Point

Stone and Ballast were monstrous. My cousins drink for a hobby, and there's like 20+ breweries just in San Diego... anyhow I don't remember what I drank since they bought everything (their mission was to get me destroyed), but I had a great time nonetheless. Also lost my phone. Never have lost my phone before ever. :(
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Bring home Pliny the Elder!