Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    What 2B is playing better defense ?

It is kind of a hard position to metric. How do you measure cut off dependability? Or how they respond to back up situations. When do they hold the ball or make a useless throw on an attempted DP ???
    So many more things middle infielders do than range for ground balls.

LaStella sucked at all those things I just mentioned. And Uggla was so-so.
    Prado was better than both

Jace is a definite upgrade over them all

/thread. He backs up plays better.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Don't forget how he is the master at faking out base runners. Over the course of a season I would bet that Tron saves about 10 bases with those fakes.
    Simba is simply the best player on our team. I'm glad he plays in an era where he is properly appreciated. If this was 2002, we would all be wondering what we could do to improve the production at SS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Simba is simply the best player on our team. I'm glad he plays in an era where he is properly appreciated. If this was 2002, we would all be wondering what we could do to improve the production at SS.
    I think having a really good third baseman is going negatively impact his fielding metrics but we all who watch him know he is still the best in the business.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,291 Posts
    I think having a really good third baseman is going negatively impact his fielding metrics but we all who watch him know he is still the best in the business.
    I don't think so. Simba's range has surprisingly graded out as below average this year (SSS problems - he will be fine). Simba derives a lot of his value from his really strong throwing arm and the mere fact that he NEVER makes mistakes. If anything it's going to allow Simba to shade himself more up the middle and take away more of those plays, which are the cheapest web gems for SS to make because of the shorter throwing distance.

Also, it's important to point out that Simmons is on pace for over 30 DRS saved again. That's unbelievable.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I don't think so. Simba's range has surprisingly graded out as below average this year (SSS problems - he will be fine). Simba derives a lot of his value from his really strong throwing arm and the mere fact that he NEVER makes mistakes. If anything it's going to allow Simba to shade himself more up the middle and take away more of those plays, which are the cheapest web gems for SS to make because of the shorter throwing distance.

Also, it's important to point out that Simmons is on pace for over 30 DRS saved again. That's unbelievable.

Yep, its amazing how good he is defensively.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    It won't be much if at all. Uribe being a plus defender means Simmons can shade up the middle more to get balls hit that way. That being said I believe teammates effecting ones UZR, DRS, etc has more of an impact in the outfield then it does in the infield.