Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves Statistical Analysis

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    How can this possibly be quantified right now?
    I mean, Miller could have been downright awful..likewise with Peterson/Folty.

These players performing well doesn't seal the fate of the rebuild but I think you would agree that its better than the alternative.
    Natural Immunity Croc

2. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (06-01-2015)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    But if he performs well and they exercise his option for next season isn't that valuable as well? What if things for the most part go according to plan and even better. The Braves could realistically be in a position to make the playoffs next season and having a closer that is effective will help.
    The chances of the Braves being a playoff team AND Grilli being effective next year are less than the chances of both those instances not being the case. Grilli is 38 years old.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Does that mean you think the team wins 75-80 games? If so, again, what is the point? I don't see how the team finishes with a better record than:

Nats
    Mets
    Cards
    Cubs
    Pirates
    Dodgers
    Giants
    Padres

Out of curiosity, fangraphs have the Braves as a 2.6% of making the playoffs.
    My view is we are now a .500 team. That would be my projection for the rest of the year. Fangraphs is projecting us to be 10 below .500 the rest of the way in. That's why they have such a dim view of our playoff chances. I'm wondering about some of the assumptions they are making about playing time. They have updated our team page for Uribe, but seem to be assuming CJ gets almost 100 more at bats than him. They also seem to be assuming significant additional at bats for EYJr. Their pitching data are weird and makes me think they haven't updated things. They are still giving additional innings to Minor and Stults.

Btw if we are below .500 in July, I'm all for moving Grilli and whoever else attracts a reasonable offer.

I think the playoff teams in the NL are: Washington, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, LA and SF. I think they are a cut above the rest. That's why I said we needed one of them to collapse. We also need to be the team that out-performs rather than one of the others. We are a plausible but not probable playoff team.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 06-01-2015 at 03:14 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    The chances of the Braves being a playoff team AND Grilli being effective next year are less than the chances of both those instances not being the case. Grilli is 38 years old.
    There are example of relief pitchers who maintain their effectiveness into their late 30's. Maybe Grilli falls off the face of the earth but the stuff he is showing so far wouldnot lead me to believe that.

Also, I think you are severely underrating the potential of the Braves starting pitching.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,291 Posts
    Keeping him can prolong it. You probably win a couple more games and not get the advantage of better draft picks and whatever compensation you could get from Grilli now. I can understand keeping cornerstone players like Freeman and Simmons and not being able to trade a Markakis or some of the other veterans; but Grilli is performing well right now. Why not maximize it if the playoffs are a longshot?
    I agree wholeheartedly that we should trade Johnson/Grilli/Uribe etc. and it's obvious the front office will make any deal that improves the long term outlook of the team. That seems to be pretty apparent considering every move (besides Markakis) had that outlook in mind. I'm confident that those guys will be traded.

But in the off chance Grilli isn't traded it's not really going to matter. That's the entire point. I'm speaking from a position that not every veteran is going to net Byron Buxton (contrary to others). Getting back Victor Carrini level prospects wint define the direction of your franchise.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    My view is we are now a .500 team. That would be my projection for the rest of the year. Fangraphs is projecting us to be 10 below .500 the rest of the way in. That's why they have such a dim view of our playoff chances. I'm wondering about some of the assumptions they are making about playing time. They have updated our team page for Uribe, but seem to be assuming CJ gets almost 100 more at bats than him. They also seem to be assuming significant additional at bats for EYJr. Their pitching data are weird and makes me think they haven't updated things. They are still giving additional innings to Minor and Stults.

Btw if we are below .500 in July, I'm all for moving Grilli and whoever else attracts a reasonable offer.
    .500 team puts them behind:

Nats
    Mets
    Cards
    Cubs
    Pirates
    Dodgers
    Giants
    Even with Pads

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,291 Posts

These players performing well doesn't seal the fate of the rebuild but I think you would agree that its better than the alternative.
    My issue is that people assume that because someone is outperforming their FIP means they have only been lucky.

People seems to not realize that a 3.20 FIP for Shelby is still borderline ace even accounting for normal luck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    .500 team puts them behind:

Nats
    Mets
    Cards
    Cubs
    Pirates
    Dodgers
    Giants
    Even with Pads
    I don't think we need to worry about the Mets. Maybe the Cubs and Pads. There are a lot of weak teams in the NL this year and especially so in our own division.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    My issue is that people assume that because someone is outperforming their FIP means they have only been lucky.

People seems to not realize that a 3.20 FIP for Shelby is still borderline ace even accounting for normal luck.
    I think Shelby's new approach (more 2 seamers) leads to worse rate stats but better aggregate stats.

If I had to choose one for a starter I thinkI would go with aggregate numbers. Shelby is consistently going deep into games and the cumulative affect that this has on a baseball team over 162 is invaluable. Of course, to be an ACE he needs to have both but one step at a time.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    There are example of relief pitchers who maintain their effectiveness into their late 30's. Maybe Grilli falls off the face of the earth but the stuff he is showing so far wouldnot lead me to believe that.

Also, I think you are severely underrating the potential of the Braves starting pitching.
    My expecations from the rotation:

Teheran- high 3s
    Miller- low to mid 3;s
    Wood- low 3s
    Folty- low 4s
    Perez- low 4s

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts

Teheran- high 3s
    Miller- low to mid 3;s
    Wood- low 3s
    Folty- low 4s
    Perez- low 4s
    Is that for this year, next year or in perpetuity?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post

Shelby is 3.35. I am certainly more optimistic on him than during the offseason. It will depend how much of his "stats' he can maintain bc he's certainly not going to have a .202 BABIP and 88% LOB% for his career. A low to mid 3 ERA is very good though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    The trade deadline is 2 months away. Lets see where we are in late July and go from there. This team is getting better as we go. Maybin as a full time starter has been a big boon. Uribe was a big upgrade to both offense and defense. Our top 2 prospects are doing well at AAA so they could help soon. Thisa he blasphemy but I think this team needs a trade similar to the Rasmus trade the Cardinals made but with Teheran. Trade Julio for a decent hitter that plays catcher or left and a few good relievers and this team is in buisness.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I don't think we need to worry about the Mets. Maybe the Cubs and Pads. There are a lot of weak teams in the NL this year and especially so in our own division.
    I think the Mets are better. Their rotation is disgusting.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,291 Posts
    I think Shelby's new approach (more 2 seamers) leads to worse rate stats but better aggregate stats.

If I had to choose one for a starter I thinkI would go with aggregate numbers. Shelby is consistently going deep into games and the cumulative affect that this has on a baseball team over 162 is invaluable. Of course, to be an ACE he needs to have both but one step at a time.
    Shelby's strikeout rate has been over 20% most of the year. That's more important than K/9 innings since the latter is adversely affected by having a low BABIP. (If you get a ground out, you have 1 less chance to get a strikeout while if that becomes a single then you have an additional chance to get a strikeout).

I understand what everyone is saying that he's going to regress, but even if he regresses to his FIP then he's still a stud.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Is that for this year, next year or in perpetuity?
    In the immediate future. 1 to 1.5 years

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,291 Posts
    Shelby is 3.35. I am certainly more optimistic on him than during the offseason. It will depend how much of his "stats' he can maintain bc he's certainly not going to have a .202 BABIP and 88% LOB% for his career. A low to mid 3 ERA is very good though.
    It must have went up from his last start since he only had the one strike out.

I agree 99% with what you are saying. We have had this discussion earlier. Is Shelby going to regress to his peripherals or are his peripherals going to catch up to his performance? I'm an optimist, and a Braves homer, so I side with the latter even though the most likely outcome is somewhere between those two outcomes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I think the Mets are better. Their rotation is disgusting.
    I love their pitching too. I don't think it can carry them though.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts

But even if he was terrible this year it doesn't matter bc we're not a playoff team. That's frustrating that we're wasting prime years on guys for a punt year

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts

Teheran- high 3s
    Miller- low to mid 3;s
    Wood- low 3s
    Folty- low 4s
    Perez- low 4s
    I think that's about right. But I would put the two rookies closer to 4 than 4.5. They both look like the real deal to me, though in very different styles obviously. Baby Harang will have to be smart mixing his pitches or have a catcher who can call a smart game. The infield defense is very good now with Uribe, which will help Wood and Perez.