Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6/1/15 MINOR LEAGUE FINAL: IT'S JUNE! DSL score included

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,303 Posts
    Garrett Fulenchek tweeted today that he's getting his x-ray back today (via Shanks).

That can't be good news for a guy that we are relying on to emerge as one of our top pitching prospects in the lower levels.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Go back to the padres well for renfroe? They need a Ss. Not sure how good he is.

We could also hold onto peraza for another year or more and still have him be young for his level. Then if Jace is getting expensive shop him and replace with peraza

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Go back to the padres well for renfroe? They need a Ss. Not sure how good he is.

We could also hold onto peraza for another year or more and still have him be young for his level. Then if Jace is getting expensive shop him and replace with peraza
    I am a Mississippi State fan, so I love Renfroe. And I love his potential. Before this year, I would have pulled the trigger on that in a heartbeat. But after his start to this year in AA and the way he finished there last year, I don't know if I would anymore. The potential is still there, but if he doesn't start figuring it out pretty quickly against advanced pitching, he may not ever do it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Judge has an ISO of .210 this year and he's never had an ISO under .180 in his minor league career. He's always hit.

Judge is a fantastic prospect.
    Eh, you're free to have that opinion, but I think even the most optimistic on him would come short of calling him a 'fantastic' prospect. He was ranked anywhere from about 50-75 before this year, and he's 23. He's not anywhere close to a stud prospect or no-doubter.

That ISO is fine; like I said, he's hitting well. But he's in AA as a 23-year-old. I've seen people compare him to Stanton, and Stanton posted a .416 ISO in AA...at age 20.

Kyle Schwarber is a big-time bat. He's 22 in AA right now and his ISO is .296. OPS is 200 points better than Judge's.

Again, Judge is a decent prospect, but he doesn't have the kind of power people think he has. A .210 ISO in AA isn't great for a power hitter, especially for a guy at that age. And the lack of great bat speed will likely widen the gap even more between him and the true power hitters as they see more advanced pitching.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,303 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Eh, you're free to have that opinion, but I think even the most optimistic on him would come short of calling him a 'fantastic' prospect. He was ranked anywhere from about 50-75 before this year, and he's 23. He's not anywhere close to a stud prospect or no-doubter.

That ISO is fine; like I said, he's hitting well. But he's in AA as a 23-year-old. I've seen people compare him to Stanton, and Stanton posted a .416 ISO in AA...at age 20.

Kyle Schwarber is a big-time bat. He's 22 in AA right now and his ISO is .296. OPS is 200 points better than Judge's.

Again, Judge is a decent prospect, but he doesn't have the kind of power people think he has. A .210 ISO in AA isn't great for a power hitter, especially for a guy at that age. And the lack of great bat speed will likely widen the gap even more between him and the true power hitters as they see more advanced pitching.
    Keith Law has him ranked as the 16th best prospect in baseball in his latest prospect ranking. Fantastic is a subjective term, but it is fair to give a player that label that is highly regarded.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Keith Law has him ranked as the 16th best prospect in baseball in his latest prospect ranking. Fantastic is a subjective term, but it is fair to give a player that label that is highly regarded.
    I just disagree. I see a guy who will probably never be anything more than a decent hitter who likely won't age well defensively given his size.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,303 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I just disagree. I see a guy who will probably never be anything more than a decent hitter who likely won't age well defensively given his size.
    It's your right to have that opinion, but unless you have scouted him in person than I trust the consensus of prospect evaluators' opinion of his ability than your own.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Can someone remind me what's going on with Jordan Paroubeck? And while we are on the subject, is there anyone else in the minor league system other than Davidson (and maybe Ruiz, if he starts hitting) who is considered a potential power bat?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,976 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsnores View Post
    Can someone remind me what's going on with Jordan Paroubeck? And while we are on the subject, is there anyone else in the minor league system other than Davidson (and maybe Ruiz, if he starts hitting) who is considered a potential power bat?
    My guess is Paroubeck will play in Danville. He played in the Arizona Fall League last year (which is equivalent to the Gulf Coast League), so the Appalachian League is a logical next step. If he hits there, I could see him moving up to Rome before the end of the year.

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    My guess is Paroubeck will play in Danville. He played in the Arizona Fall League last year (which is equivalent to the Gulf Coast League), so the Appalachian League is a logical next step. If he hits there, I could see him moving up to Rome before the end of the year.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the AFL isn't the equivalent of the GCL. Every organization sends promising prospects to the AFL for more seasoning against other highly touted prospects. I'm also curious to why it's taken Paroubeck so long to get going.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dylandavis18 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the AFL isn't the equivalent of the GCL. Every organization sends promising prospects to the AFL for more seasoning against other highly touted prospects. I'm also curious to why it's taken Paroubeck so long to get going.
    Yep, Paroubeck played in the Arizona League, which is different than the AFL. I've definitely confused those two leagues a time or two.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona_League

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    Yep, Paroubeck played in the Arizona League, which is different than the AFL. I've definitely confused those two leagues a time or two.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona_League
    Oh, big difference. Thanks for the clarification. I've lurked around on this board for a while but have to say the minor league threads are always the most intriguing to me. Want to say thanks for all the info Rico and everyone provides.