Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trading Teheran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts

Trading Teheran

I think the Braves should seriously consider trading Teheran while his value is still relatively high. Pitching is always what the Braves have been best at developing so we should be trading starters to fix the other areas of the team. Some trade examples I think could be made.

Royals - They have a ton of good relievers. Something like Ryan Madson/Kelvin Herrera/ and someone else for Teheran. Personally I like Christian Colon as a good utility player but that package still seems light in my opinion. This would immediately get the pen back to a positive. Royals just got back Hochevar and would still have a great pen without these 2. They are paying a lot of money for the Hochevar/Davis/Holland trio so if maybe they would trade Davis instead and we would have an elite closer again.

Tigers - they really lack in ammunition but I like catcher James McCann and we have a serious weakness at that position. He wont be a star player but he is kind of what we hope Bethancourt would be in that he is an average offensive catcher with good defense. For the league minimum thats valuable. Their MLB pen sucks but they have Bruce Rondon doing rehab at AAA from TJ surgery and his FB averaged 99.1 MPH pre surgery. Also would like to get Raja Davis from the Tigers. He is a free agent to be but he would give us from LF what we hope we will get from Mallex Smith next year in center.

Astros - The Astros have been rumored to be looking for another starter. Something like Preston Tucker and Josh Fields would be good. Pen needs more than 1 good reliever and we need RH bats more than LH but its better than what we had.

Mariners - The Mariners are in all in mode and if any park can help Teheran its Safeco. The two guys I would want are reliever Carson Smith and prospect Ketel Marte. Smith would instantly be our best reliever and probably closer of the future. Marte would take over 3B after this year if not sooner. He is a switch hitter and speed player rather than power hitter. I know thats not traditional for 3B but I will take a good average/good defense/lots of SB player at 3B any day of the week.

DBags - A trade idea I really like is for AJ Pollock and some relievers from AZ. Pollock is a plus defender in center so we could move Maybin to right and Markakis to left to significantly upgrade the outfield defense. Teheran is under team control for 5 more years and Pollock only 3 so it makes sense for a rebuilding team. As for relievers they dont have any great ones so I would ask for Ziegler, Chafin , and our old friend Randall Delgado. Ziegler is a free agent to be, Delgado has decent peripherals but mediocre stats, and Chafin is nothing special so I dont think they would balk at including any of them. Would still be an upgrade over the likes of Veal, Massett, and Cahill.

Padres - Petco is another park that could help Teherans HR problems. Maybe we can trade him for Kimbrel back. They had a good pen before Kimbrel so I dont see why they would consider him untouchable. He certainly hasnt been untouchable this year but I think that has to do with their horrific outfield defense. Maybe they will have realized playing 3 bad defensive outfielders in one of the largest outfields was a bad idea and trade us Myers.

Cubs - We all know they need pitching have ton of hitting prospects. Maybe we could get them to part with Kyle Schwarber. Dude is wrecking AA.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (06-02-2015)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I know it's the popular opinion because he's struggling now. I"m just not a fan and I'm his biggest advocate. I don't think he's same pitcher, but we'd be selling low and he's adjusted before. I'm not totally against it, but I think he's better than he's shown.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post

That! LOL

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Deester11 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (06-02-2015)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Pretty sick of trading away major league talent for players not nearly ready to play in the majors. I could get on board with trading him, but want real players in return.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I'd try to come up with a package to Colorado for Arenado.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (06-02-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Pretty sick of trading away major league talent for players not nearly ready to play in the majors. I could get on board with trading him, but want real players in return.
    I want imaginary players in return, better yet gimme robots. No make that transformers. :)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (06-02-2015), NinersSBChamps (06-01-2015)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts
    Trading Teheran for a package of relievers? Thats worse than anything Amaro Jr would do.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to atl717 For This Useful Post:

Carp (06-01-2015), Heyward (06-01-2015), Hudson2 (06-01-2015), Metaphysicist (06-03-2015), Tapate50 (06-01-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atl717 View Post
    Trading Teheran for a package of relievers? Thats worse than anything Amaro Jr would do.
    A package including a reliever, not a package made up of only relievers.

Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Only 3 players out of all of the trades I suggested are currently in the majors and the ones that aren't are really close.

It’s over."

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    I'm not as high on Teheran as most on here, but good lord.....trading him for a pile of trash? A good starting pitcher for either relievers or B prospects is insane.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Let me fix that. Trade Teheran for Trout. There you go.

It’s over."

17. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (06-02-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Even with this terrible start to this year, he still has a 3.27 ERA since the start of 2013.. And he's signed to a very reasonable contract through 2020. How many pitchers in baseball can boast that? How many among those are under control at a cheap price for the next 5 years?

There is simply no reason at all to trade Teheran at this point. Even if he isn't an ace (I personally think he is/will be) he's still a very good pitcher, despite his performance so far this year. Unless we are getting back actual major league hitting that is good, young, and controllable, then there is no reason at all to make this trade. Despite our pitching depth in the minors, we still need established pitchers by the time we are ready to compete (whether that is 2016 or 2017).

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Let me fix that. Trade Teheran for Trout. There you go.
    So you went from Ryan Madsen and a utility guy to Mike Trout.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gilesfan For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (06-02-2015), Metaphysicist (06-03-2015)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Even with this terrible start to this year, he still has a 3.27 ERA since the start of 2013.. And he's signed to a very reasonable contract through 2020. How many pitchers in baseball can boast that? How many among those are under control at a cheap price for the next 5 years?

There is simply no reason at all to trade Teheran at this point. Even if he isn't an ace (I personally think he is/will be) he's still a very good pitcher, despite his performance so far this year. Unless we are getting back actual major league hitting that is good, young, and controllable, then there is no reason at all to make this trade. Despite our pitching depth in the minors, we still need established pitchers by the time we are ready to compete (whether that is 2016 or 2017).
    Nice post Carp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Kelvin Herrera, and Ryan Madson, and whatever prospect you think is required. I said I like Colon but that would be a light package of players. As in I don't think that package including Colon is enough.

I am just trying to give fair ideas. It's real easy to project trades where you rape the other team. We can circle jerk about how Wren is the dumb for not trading Pete Orr for Pujols all day long if you want. I provided 7 trade ideas with packages ranging from a top 10 prospect in baseball to Craig Kimbrel yet you find them all to be trash players. If you don't like them then tell me what you would trade him for instead of making ingnorant blanket statements.

It’s over."

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Honestly i wouldnt trade him because his value isnt very high right now, and two we dont have the pitching depth quite yet to deal any of our MLB starters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Now is not the time to trade Teheran. Worst case scenario he is Trevor Cahill. You suck up that loss. Best case scenario he's about the 15th best starter in baseball. I'll take them odds.
    thank you weso1!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    All this really says is that his value has already dropped to where trading him doesn't make sense right now. If you're not getting any high-upside guys who are close, you're better off staying put and hoping he comes back to what he's been.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (06-01-2015), JohnAdcox (06-02-2015)

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    All this really says is that his value has already dropped to where trading him doesn't make sense right now. If you're not getting any high-upside guys who are close, you're better off staying put and hoping he comes back to what he's been.
    Once his knee feels better, you won't want to trade him. He didn't lose 3 mph off his fastball overnight. He's hurt.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Once his knee feels better, you won't want to trade him. He didn't lose 3 mph off his fastball overnight. He's hurt.
    Shhhh. You could be right.... How quickly we forget that he was our losing steak stopper not long ago. He's not trash and something is wrong. I hope he turns it around so he's not in every trade scenario!