Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If this doesn't bother you

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Ooooo I can play this game.

Great - the government wants you to think you're close to being blown up at any given minute. That way you will voluntarily surrender your rights rather than them needing to just take them
    I guess we aren't supposed to think that terrorism can reach these borders after what we are seeing done all across the world. The US is perfectly safe. We do not need to do anything to protect ourselves.
    Natural Immunity Croc

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Did someone say that?
    Many said that he put all of us in danger by telling our enemies what we've been doing.

I'm sure we could dig the up the old thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    I guess we aren't supposed to think that terrorism can reach these borders after what we are seeing done all across the world. The US is perfectly safe. We do not need to do anything to protect ourselves.
    So where do you draw the line?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Many said that he put all of his danger by telling our enemies what we've been doing.

I'm sure we could dig the up the old thread
    Oh ok, becuase in the previous post you asked if we were all supposed to be dead yet.

I do think that giving up national secrets to an adversarial nation does put us in danger. Not sure how that can be debated actually.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    So where do you draw the line?
    Very difficult question. I think the collecting of metadata is not infringing on my rights. I do not feel as if I am every being spied on.

I think controlling communications that occur within our border is essentially the extent as to where I will go. I'd like to believe by limiting the enemies ability to communicate will keep us safe.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    Oh ok, becuase in the previous post you asked if we were all supposed to be dead yet.

I do think that giving up national secrets to an adversarial nation does put us in danger. Not sure how that can be debated actually.
    Well, our CIA said that nobody was put in any danger from it.

But i'm curious - how does it put us in any more danger?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Well, our CIA said that nobody was put in any danger from it.

But i'm curious - how does it put us in any more danger?
    Just like I said information is key for us. The exact same thing can be said for our enemies. And make no mistake...Russia is an enemy right now.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    Just like I said information is key for us. The exact same thing can be said for our enemies. And make no mistake...Russia is an enemy right now.
    You said it's not even debatable. I am curious as to one specific reason

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,263 Posts
    i am still way more worried about a gang banger or crazy person with a gun than the threat of terrorists destroying my way of life or my taking my life

or the threat of big business destroying the drinking water or clean air before terrorists destroy our way of life

but hey, i guess some people never grow out of the scary boogie man phase as a kid
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    i am still way more worried about a gang banger or crazy person with a gun than the threat of terrorists destroying my way of life or my taking my life

or the threat of big business destroying the drinking water or clean air before terrorists destroy our way of life

but hey, i guess some people never grow out of the scary boogie man phase as a kid
    Global warming wasn't an issue 100 years ago.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    We managed to stay safe for many many many many many many years without these tactics.

You'll never convince me that our rights should be given away so carelessly.
    Technology has advanced in such a way that we are way more accessible to other countries, right?
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    I know I should care about this, but I really don't. It doesn't affect me in any way. I really couldn't care less if some nerd in Washington is watching me play with my kids in the back yard. It doesn't prevent me from doing anything.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    I know I should care about this, but I really don't. It doesn't affect me in any way. I really couldn't care less if some nerd in Washington is watching me play with my kids in the back yard. It doesn't prevent me from doing anything.

Are you telling me that you are more concerned about the local crime elements in your neighborhood/city than you are of some nerd in Washington?

That's insane.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I just don't understand how people can ignore the additional risks that exist in the global information age. To just close your eyes and hope that our enemies aren't communicating with each other over the internet or via other communications medians is just foolish. We need to know what they are saying and what they are planning.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,741 Posts
    So what is your plan to keep the country safe then Sturg?

You want no military intervention and you don't want to allow the government to figure out who is plotting against us via the internet and standard communications. How exactly are you keepingthe American people safe?
    The 9/11 attacks killed 3000 people. Over 37000 people die per year in the US from car wrecks. Its important to keep things in perspective. Theres a greater chance of you being murdered by an American than there is by any foreign terrorist.

Some things we need to do. Use the troops to guard the boarders. Let the mexicans/canadians through for all I care but we cant let any muslims through. The airports should be operating with the same security setup the Israelis use. Its proven effective without strip searching handicapped 5 year olds. I would be okay with allowing the NSA to spy on non US citizens. Imo thats the price you pay for entering our country. Maybe include some extra screening in the process of granting citizenship but once they are US citizens they get full privacy rights. I would be using the FBI to send people undercover in Mosques to seek out the ones with extreme views. One very key things is we need to stop buying so much GD oil from the middle east. I dont care if the gubment has to build and giveaway solar/electric cars to every US citizen this should be priority #1 imo.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

thethe (06-02-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    The 9/11 attacks killed 3000 people. Over 37000 people die per year in the US from car wrecks. Its important to keep things in perspective. Theres a greater chance of you being murdered by an American than there is by any foreign terrorist.

Some things we need to do. Use the troops to guard the boarders. Let the mexicans/canadians through for all I care but we cant let any muslims through. The airports should be operating with the same security setup the Israelis use. Its proven effective without strip searching handicapped 5 year olds. I would be okay with allowing the NSA to spy on non US citizens. Imo thats the price you pay for entering our country. Maybe include some extra screening in the process of granting citizenship but once they are US citizens they get full privacy rights. I would be using the FBI to send people undercover in Mosques to seek out the ones with extreme views. One very key things is we need to stop buying so much GD oil from the middle east. I dont care if the gubment has to build and giveaway solar/electric cars to every US citizen this should be priority #1 imo.
    I like all these ideas. I do worry about sympathisers but your ideas of going undercover in Mosques could identify a lot of these.

I could get behind all of these.
    Natural Immunity Croc

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,263 Posts
    Global warming wasn't an issue 100 years ago.
    totally shocked how increasing the population of the most harmful animals on the planet by 7 fold in 100 years hurt the planet

not really sure why you keep going back to that "point" though
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts

It does but your argument gives the government free reign to break the constitution without any retribution. You don't allow your own government to secretly commit crimes against you because you think it would put you in danger if other countries knew they were committing those crimes. At that point your government is your biggest enemy.