Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Braves are savlaging a salary dump (FG article on Maybin's resurgence)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,866 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Equal? No. But not too far off Heyward's numbers. And pretty similar to Heyward's 2014.

Hard to argue giving Heyward at 200 million when you have Maybin who could give you similar production if moved to a corner spot, at a fraction of the cost.
    Then we have to find someone to play the corner spot in 2017. I guess Maybin can give us similar production to Heyward the same way Nick has this year.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    I take Maybin at 8 million (2016 salary) over Heyward at 20+ million (projected salary) everyday of the week. Heyward may be worth that much more than Maybin to a team that can afford to pay out 20+ million a year for one player, but the Braves are not that team. The few extra WAR is pretty much worthless to a team that will likely not be in the hunt next year. Probably not worth it when they move to the new ballpark in 2017 either.
    Last edited by Orphan Black; 08-19-2015 at 02:17 PM.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,866 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post
    I take Maybin at 8 million (2016 salary) over Heyward at 20+ million (projected salary) everyday of the week. Heyward may be worth that much more than Maybin to a team that can afford to pay out 20+ million a year for one player, but the Braves are not that team. The few extra WAR is pretty much worthless to a team that will likely not be in the hunt next year. Probably not worth it when they move to the new ballpark in 2019 either.
    That has merit. Braves aren't going to contend next year so who really cares who's playing out there. But at some point the Braves are going to have to acquire legit MLB outfielders. Any by legit I mean those who project to be over 2 WAR in a given season. And there are currently none on the team and nobody in the minors that's anywhere close. So that leaves either trade or FA. So whether it be in cash or giving up prospects it's going to cost a lot to get that player here.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Equal? No. But not too far off Heyward's numbers. And pretty similar to Heyward's 2014.

Hard to argue giving Heyward at 200 million when you have Maybin who could give you similar production if moved to a corner spot, at a fraction of the cost.
    uh, no? How in the world is Maybin even remotely similar to Heyward?
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post
    I take Maybin at 8 million (2016 salary) over Heyward at 20+ million (projected salary) everyday of the week. Heyward may be worth that much more than Maybin to a team that can afford to pay out 20+ million a year for one player, but the Braves are not that team. The few extra WAR is pretty much worthless to a team that will likely not be in the hunt next year. Probably not worth it when they move to the new ballpark in 2019 either.

"few extra WAR is pretty much worthless"

Da Fuq?
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe