Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Peraza is on Klaw's top 20 list and Albies might end up there as well if he maintains his current pace. We have high upside guys at literally every level of the system.

I'm not saying they have the deepest position player pool, but it's far from "completely dry", and it's certainly vastly improved since Hart took over (which is the primary point anyways).
    At this point we have the reasonable expectation that we have a future 3B in Ruiz (though he's been terrible this year). There is a reasonable expectation that we could have a future 2B/CF in Peraza. Other than that, I don't think you can make a reasonable expectation for having a future everyday player. It's either due to A) upper levels being barron or B) prospects being too far to reasonable project them as everyday starters in the majors.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Peraza is on Klaw's top 20 list and Albies might end up there as well if he maintains his current pace. We have high upside guys at literally every level of the system.

I'm not saying they have the deepest position player pool, but it's far from "completely dry", and it's certainly vastly improved since Hart took over (which is the primary point anyways).
    And there certainly are many teams who can't make the argument that they should have 3 hitters in the top 100 prospects.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    At this point we have the reasonable expectation that we have a future 3B in Ruiz (though he's been terrible this year). There is a reasonable expectation that we could have a future 2B/CF in Peraza. Other than that, I don't think you can make a reasonable expectation for having a future everyday player. It's either due to A) upper levels being barron or B) prospects being too far to reasonable project them as everyday starters in the majors.
    I think Mallex Smith has done enough in AA to plan for him having a significant role in the outfield.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-09-2015), mfree80 (06-09-2015), thethe (06-09-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    How is Mallex Smith not a reasonable projection at this point to be at least a major leaguer? Guy has a 420 OBP in AA (young relative tothe league) and is a burner on the basepaths.
    Natural Immunity Croc

6. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

mfree80 (06-09-2015)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Thank god we got that package then instead of the one for Myers.
    I mean, we should have. Despite the service time, Justin is an impact bat while Myers was coming off a 75 OPS+ season with a bum wrist. Sure, he's talented, but if someone gave up as much for Myers as they would for Upton, they are crazy.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I think Dustin Peterson projects fairly well. I wouldn't be surprised if he was our everyday LF in 2018.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-09-2015), mfree80 (06-09-2015), thethe (06-09-2015)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    I'm simply amazed at how defensive some folks get at the mere questioning of the FO

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-09-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,291 Posts
    I mean, we should have. Despite the service time, Justin is an impact bat while Myers was coming off a 75 OPS+ season with a bum wrist. Sure, he's talented, but if someone gave up as much for Myers as they would for Upton, they are crazy.
    You are making the assumption that Wil Myers was more valuable in a trade package, not me. I think years of control do matter, especially for a team that has historically had tight purse strings.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I think Mallex Smith has done enough in AA to plan for him having a significant role in the outfield.
    I don't think so; not yet. It's been 200 PAs. He has a .416 BABIp and .069 iso. Sure, he's promising because he has speed and a good batting average, but he only has 7 extra base hits on the year with numbers inflated due to BABIP luck. Defense in the minors is historically lacking in comparison to the majors and projecting him to be a .300 hitter in the majors is probably unrealistic. The major leagues have a way of destroying prospects that cannot hit the ball with authority. There is a reason speed guys have inflated batting averages in the minor leagues.

He's been a little rough on defense, but has legitimate speed. He could certainly move up the ladder if he's able to show some things in AA this year. Really, there is probably a fine line for 4th OF;reserve CF and starting CF because you don't need to hit quite as much. Certainly speed can get him to the show.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to gilesfan For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-09-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Every argument that is not in full support of the FO is met with "You're assuming..."

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    You are making the assumption that Wil Myers was more valuable in a trade package, not me. I think years of control do matter, especially for a team that has historically had tight purse strings.
    Im not making the assumption that Myers was more valuable; I'm saying Upton was. You seemed to imply that Myers should have been more valuable based on service time.

The Pads don't have tight purse strings now though and that's what counts.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I'm simply amazed at how defensive some folks get at the mere questioning of the FO
    Seriously Sturg? You have gone WAY out of your way thread to bash the FO... In the freaking draft thread of all places. If there is ever a place where the benefit of the doubt is warranted, you would think it would be in this thread.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I think Dustin Peterson projects fairly well. I wouldn't be surprised if he was our everyday LF in 2018.
    I like what I've seen of him for sure. IF he can put a solid season in AA together at age 21, he will probably be considered an everyday candidate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Seriously Sturg? You have gone WAY out of your way thread to bash the FO... In the freaking draft thread of all places. If there is ever a place where the benefit of the doubt is warranted, you would think it would be in this thread.
    Not only in this thread but for the whole offseason. Its not just Sturg but a few posters. If these posters weren't so blatantly against the current front office then they would be given more benefit of the doubt for their criticisms.
    Natural Immunity Croc

20. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

mfree80 (06-09-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    I've gone WAY out of my way?

to give my opinions on our draft strategy...

in the draft thread?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Not only in this thread but for the whole offseason. Its not just Sturg but a few posters. If these posters weren't so blatantly against the current front office then they would be given more benefit of the doubt for their criticisms.
    ITS BC HEYWARD WAS TRADED!!!!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,291 Posts
    Im not making the assumption that Myers was more valuable; I'm saying Upton was. You seemed to imply that Myers should have been more valuable based on service time.

The Pads don't have tight purse strings now though and that's what counts.
    I'm absolutely saying service time is consequential. I also really like Myers too. Agree to disagree on that point.

We will see how long this spending spree lasts. If they resign Upton then I'll take notice. It seems their owners got caught up in Preller mania when he was making reckless trade after reckless trade.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    ITS BC HEYWARD WAS TRADED!!!!
    Again, if every single thought/post since Wren was fired wasn't overly negative/critical then some of us would not think that every post has an agenda underneath.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,291 Posts
    I've gone WAY out of my way?

to give my opinions on our draft strategy...

in the draft thread?
    Yes. How many of these players have you watched? Even a video on a scouting report that Kiley McDaniel posted on Fangraphs.

I have watched zero. That's because I have literally zero ability to scout 17 year old high school kids.

There is a fine line between being objective and being a cynic. That fine line becomes even finer in this thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Braves haven't signed hitters in the international market?
    I personally don't think the Braves were focused enough on the international market in recent years. JS noted that this was one of the things that contributed to Frank Wren being fired. For one thing, we missed the boat on the market inefficiency on Cuban players. I think the JS comments were more broad that that tough and reflected that he (and others) felt that we were behind the league on international scouting and emphasizing this talent pool versus free agency.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-09-2015)