Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    So then I think your evaluation of the hitting depth in the Braves farm system was not characterized properly.
    The Braves have 1 guy in the top 100 and it's not a hitter I player I think highly of as a hitter. (simply as a hitter).

Also, being top 100 really means nothing in itself. A player in the top 10 is worth more to me than 2 in the 75-100 range. Having a handful of borderline top 100 guys wouldn't be all that impressive of a list.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Of course
    I'm hoping this "contender" at least made the playoffs the year before. Did they?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    The Braves have 1 guy in the top 100 and it's not a hitter I player I think highly of as a hitter. (simply as a hitter).

Also, being top 100 really means nothing in itself. A player in the top 10 is worth more to me than 2 in the 75-100 range. Having a handful of borderline top 100 guys wouldn't be all that impressive of a list.
    We are talking about right now sir.

At this time the Braves probably have 2 top 50 prospects (Albies/Peraza) along with another in the 75-100 range in Smith. I know coming into this season the Braves had ****ty offensive talent. A lot can change in a year.

Again, those three that I've mentioned are not borderline. In all liklihood they will be consensus. We will have other borderline guys in addition to those players in Davidson/Peterson depending on how the rest of the season plays out.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    It wasn't great. Just because some of the guys didn't pan doesn't mean their value around that time couldn't have been better leveraged elsewhere. Still, I understood the rationale at the time—I just wish the Braves had considered a reasonable attempt to extent Teixeira.

This was the truly terrible stroke. Literally indefensible.

They would have just selected a pitcher with that pick.

You have to evaluate the deal at the time. And it's very rare to trade that many highly ranked prospects for 1.5 years of a player. Heck, that return was higher than most trades of impact players without impending free agency.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Anthony Guardado...RHP

The guys on the broadcast looked puzzled. I couldn't hear it, but the did a lot of paper shuffling.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    You have to evaluate the deal at the time. And it's very rare to trade that many highly ranked prospects for 1.5 years of a player. Heck, that return was higher than most trades of impact players without impending free agency.
    Teix was a special player and the Braves foolishly thought that they could keep him long term. If they found a way to extent him then the deal was fair. Sadly that didn't happen.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Teix was a special player and the Braves foolishly thought that they could keep him long term. If they found a way to extent him then the deal was fair. Sadly that didn't happen.
    A superstar didn't extend with his own team 6 months before FA? I am shocked.
    Ivermectin Man

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    We are talking about right now sir.

At this time the Braves probably have 2 top 50 prospects (Albies/Peraza) along with another in the 75-100 range in Smith. I know coming into this season the Braves had ****ty offensive talent. A lot can change in a year.

Again, those three that I've mentioned are not borderline. In all liklihood they will be consensus. We will have other borderline guys in addition to those players in Davidson/Peterson depending on how the rest of the season plays out.
    I haven't seen anyone put Albies in the top 100, let alone the top 50. Sickels, for example had him 155 to start the year. Im not sure I've seen anyone put Mallex Smith in the top 100 either. Obviously, there are a lot of "top prospect" lists, but I generally look at fangraphs, Sickels, BP, and BA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I haven't seen anyone put Albies in the top 100, let alone the top 50. Sickels, for example had him 155 to start the year. Im not sure I've seen anyone put Mallex Smith in the top 100 either. Obviously, there are a lot of "top prospect" lists, but I generally look at fangraphs, Sickels, BP, and BA.
    Fangraphs had him in their top 30.

Edit: 34

Also, Law has consistently praised him saying he has star potential.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    A superstar didn't extend with his own team 6 months before FA? I am shocked.
    Great point. I think the Braves went in thinking "he went to GT, he'll certainly want to stay!"

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    I think fangraphs had him at 34 or something... but thy were way higher than literally everyone

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    I'm hoping this "contender" at least made the playoffs the year before. Did they?
    No. Had a rough year last year... but the same group of players were some of the best in baseball the previous 4 years.

But using your logic, I guess the Nats weren't contenders going into last year

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    California is the new Georgia.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Braves prospect OF Mallex Smith reached base five times on Monday for Double-A Mississippi, going 1-for-1 with four walks and stolen base.

The steal gives Smith 19 in 47 games this season, and he’s now leading the Southern League with a .341 batting average. Beyond that, the 22-year-old also boasts an .830 OPS with 31 runs scored and a 36/23 strikeout-to-walk ratio through 47 games for Mississippi. The Braves have several veteran options in center field, but Smith, who possesses legitimate plus-plus speed, certainly has made a strong case for inclusion in the team’s future plans.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    No. Had a rough year last year... but the same group of players were some of the best in baseball the previous 4 years.

But using your logic, I guess the Nats weren't contenders going into last year
    I didn't think going into the year they were as good as they ended up being. Luckily for them the rest of their division sucked and they promptly had an early exit in the postseason.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    353. Anthony Guardado, rhp, Nogales HS
    R-R, 6-1/180, La Puenta, Calif.
    College Commitment: Long Beach State

Guardado might be the last rising prospect in this draft class. He was a fringe prospect previously who had concentrated more on football than baseball during high school and didn't pitch much of the spring recovering from a sore shoulder. His first start, however, was against top prospect righthander Peter Lambert on April 23 and Guardado came out throwing 90-94 with a very good slider, plus a curveball and changeup. That has had scouts scrambling to fully evaluate him in the month before the draft. Overall, Guardado threw 25 innings in four games, going 1-2, 1.12 and striking out 42 hitters while only allowing 10 hits.
    thank you weso1!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-09-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    353. Anthony Guardado, rhp, Nogales HS
    R-R, 6-1/180, La Puenta, Calif.
    College Commitment: Long Beach State

Guardado might be the last rising prospect in this draft class. He was a fringe prospect previously who had concentrated more on football than baseball during high school and didn't pitch much of the spring recovering from a sore shoulder. His first start, however, was against top prospect righthander Peter Lambert on April 23 and Guardado came out throwing 90-94 with a very good slider, plus a curveball and changeup. That has had scouts scrambling to fully evaluate him in the month before the draft. Overall, Guardado threw 25 innings in four games, going 1-2, 1.12 and striking out 42 hitters while only allowing 10 hits.
    Great googly moogly

Don't get me wrong, I like the sound of the report, but dang.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Guardado is a proven major league name. I like it.
    thank you weso1!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (06-09-2015)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I love this draft if for no other reason to watch the pick come in and see the meltdowns occurring. Don't stop. This is good. (Although I only like two picks thus far...grrr)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I think fangraphs had him at 34 or something... but thy were way higher than literally everyone
    Law had Albies at 66.
    Natural Immunity Croc