Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 June Draft Results Thread

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Link to me where these guys were projected first rounders... I'd love to see it.

I don't know how many times I have to say this in this thread - but it will probably make for a good drinking game. I'm don't care about the individual players (I don't know them)... I care about the philosophy

Here's more for you since you need more "proof"...

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/129269...est-mock-draft

http://www.si.com/mlb/2015/06/08/mlb...dansby-swanson

http://www.scout.com/mlb/scouting/st...ft-picks-1-105

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...gers/28516965/

Enough yet???
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Nothing but college arms for awhile, just as nscapi pointed out we did in 2008. Clearly a strategy going in. And it did work out well last time as he pointed out.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I don't claim to have any insights into the individual players taken. But historically the middle rounds (4-10) have been a sweet spot for taking college pitchers. The data show that once you get into the late rounds (11 onward) every type of player is very speculative, including college pitchers. By the middle rounds (4-10), picking HS players becomes quite speculative. Less so for college players, because they are further along in their development and you don't have to rely on projection as much. Going with college bats in the middle rounds is not bad, but for whatever reason we have been better at picking and developing the right college pitchers.

We have a good track record with college pitchers in those rounds (4-10). In recent years, we've picked up guys like Janas, Graham, Martin, Clemens, Oberholtzer, Gearrin. Going further back, Medlen was a 10th rounder. Our track record with college bats and HS players is not as good in the middle rounds.

As I've argued before, a balanced approach is probably best. But if you are going to go all in on college arms, the middle rounds are where you want to do it.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 06-09-2015 at 05:07 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-09-2015)

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    You are probably right in this analysis, but it just seems odd that we would draft 10 pitchers out of our first 12 picks when our farm system is already pitching heavy and position player weak.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,814 Posts
    Round 10 Selection: Stephen Moore, RHP, Naval Academy
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Well it's pretty apparent that this organization fully backs Fredi and is moving forward with him at the helm, because that right now is the only logical reason why we selected so many bullpen arms, because Fredi goes through em like water.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    I really hope this isn't a huge overreaction to bullpen struggles this year... We can't be that dumb though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Seriously - I thought you were making a point that we got great value on these guys... but we haven't even drafted them. So what is your point then?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    It's like some of you people were born yesterday. Can you atleast not act this surprised next year?
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

Runnin (06-09-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    It's like some of you people were born yesterday. Can you atleast not act this surprised next year?
    11 of 13 picks are pitchers... is that what we do normally? I thought I saw earlier we did like 55% of picks during Roy's last era

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Can you not be so condescending? There's enough of that bull**** in this world.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    11 of 13 picks are pitchers... is that what we do normally? I thought I saw earlier we did like 55% of picks during Roy's last era
    I think that was just the first couple of rounds. We were 50/50 this year.
    thank you weso1!

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    Round 10 Selection: Stephen Moore, RHP, Naval Academy
    With what sort of service-commitment will he potentially matriculate?
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    It's hard to call this draft anything other than baffling after the Allard pick. Every single pick other than #14 is widely considered a reach, and most of them a big reach. Guardado wasn't even in the top 200-500 of most draft sites. The stats for most of the college pitchers taken are very mediocre.

I can understand getting some under slot guys so they can afford Allard, but it seems like every single other pick was very underwhelming. I certainly don't understand what's going on, but oh well, not like I know anything about any of these guys that can't be read on a fansite.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Its 10 rounds out of 1 draft. Clark didnt draft 55% pitching exactly every year. I would bet by the end of the draft when all players are signed we are around 55-60% pitchers.

It’s over."

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skillet View Post
    You are probably right in this analysis, but it just seems odd that we would draft 10 pitchers out of our first 12 picks when our farm system is already pitching heavy and position player weak.
    I agree with nsacpi on the notion that 4-10 is a solid place to grab college and juco players (especially pitchers), but all pitchers/all day doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

But I think this shows how the brass views the lack of pitching depth in the lower reaches of the system. A lot of guys on the Rome staff are probably a little nervous.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-09-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    I don't know where this idea we are devoid of hitting is coming from. Albies/Peraza/Peterson/Davidson/Ruiz/Mallex is a pretty good group of hitters. We drafted a whole bunch of position players in the mid rounds the last few years and have squat to show for it. Braves do a much better job getting hitters from the international market.

It’s over."

22. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

clvclv (06-09-2015)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    It's hard to call this draft anything other than baffling after the Allard pick. Every single pick other than #14 is widely considered a reach, and most of them a big reach. Guardado wasn't even in the top 200-500 of most draft sites. The stats for most of the college pitchers taken are very mediocre.

I can understand getting some under slot guys so they can afford Allard, but it seems like every single other pick was very underwhelming. I certainly don't understand what's going on, but oh well, not like I know anything about any of these guys that can't be read on a fansite.
    I'm with you on the baffled part, but I don't see the early high school guys as reaches based on the rankings at BA, PG, MiLB, and other places. The Braves scouts see these guys and grade them accordingly. Soroka throws 92-94 with heavy sink and is considered to have a high ceiling. Riley is viewed as perhaps the best two-way player in the draft with big-time power potential. Herbert is a solid catch-and-throw guy whose bat is expected to carry. After that, I tend to agree with you, except that a lot of folks fell in love with Guardado late (and most of the lists were assembled a month ago).

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (06-09-2015), cajunrevenge (06-09-2015), clvclv (06-09-2015), jpx7 (06-09-2015), TXBravesFan (06-09-2015)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    I'm much more confident in this organization developing pitchers and helping them reach peak value, whether it be in the form of helping the major league team or acquiring something in a trade than I am a positional player. Taking that into consideration, we are building depth and should be able to and will be able to acquire hitting at other positions of need.

I didn't like the Drew trade, but without a Wainwright and Marquis we wouldn't have been able to acquire him. Same with Sheffield with Odalis, among many other moves that we made during that era.

And gone are the days where we can bring up a high impact bat year after year like we did in the 90's starting with Gant and Justice, than Klesko, Javy, Chipper, Andruw, etc. It would be nice to get to that point, but after the graduation of Freeman, Simmons, and Heyward and the recent evaluation and drafts of our previous regime has left the organization devoid of talent like that.

I'm not necessarily trying to defend the FO on this particular draft so far but appears that there is a game plan in place, and with the history and success that guys like Hart and Clark have had over the years, I'll give them the benefit of doubt...but it appears a couple of things are going on right now

1) allocating more bonus money for Allard, who clearly was on the Braves radar and they love and want to get into the organization and develop (Clearly was the Braves choice and could be an elite SP) &
    2) drafting college relief pitchers that should be ready sooner and can provide the Braves to go on the cheap with high impact arms in the bullpen in the near future to contend while allocating more dollars at more pressing areas of need &
    3) drafting hopefully more raw talent and taking on more risk in the later rounds that are farther away but could provide greater dividends in the long term
    Last edited by Millwood1Hitter; 06-09-2015 at 07:02 PM.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Millwood1Hitter For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (06-09-2015), clvclv (06-09-2015)