Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: 6/8/15: GDT - San Diego Padres @ Atlanta Braves (Only one Upton starting)

Got the Call to Lynchburg JusticeForAll23's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    I'm convinced if we had a competent bullpen we'd be 55-2 this season.

Ok, I'm exaggerating, but we'd be at least 54-3.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    You can't fault Fredi for pinch hitting for Miller at that point. It was the right call and 95% would have done it. Furthermore Grilli had Alanso struck out...

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsebe10 View Post
    Could have left Shelby in for another inning. He was cruising. Low stress pitches.
    Could have... Probably shouldn't have. The PH got a hit, and would have scored if not for fluke luck. You should win the game with Johnson and Grilli and a 2 run lead.

I hate Fredi but I'm not sure I play it much differently tonight

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-09-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    563 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Could have... Probably shouldn't have. The PH got a hit, and would have scored if not for fluke luck. You should win the game with Johnson and Grilli and a 2 run lead.

I hate Fredi but I'm not sure I play it much differently tonight
    And I'm not necessarily blaming him for tonight's loss. But he has played a huge factor in our inconsistent season...along side that historically bad bullpen.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsebe10 View Post
    And I'm not necessarily blaming him for tonight's loss. But he has played a huge factor in our inconsistent season...along side that historically bad bullpen.
    Agreed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    563 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Agreed
    Sad part is. We are still 3 games back in the loss column after this shi**y playing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Canmt wait until tomorrow to see how FG blew this game.

a) left Cunningham in as the only position player without a hit
    b) used no one but JJ and Grilli yet ...
    c) had Cody Martin (the version of Tommy La Stella) in a high "leverage situation" where he again got his tits lit

forum favorite didnt get a guy out in the 11th.
    2 days ago it was terrible managing

sheeesh

my problem with this is there are knowledge able baseball fans here.
    Knowledgeable baseball fans are not a lynch mob -- especially given the team

C'mon guys, up your game
    This times a million.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Goddamn this bullpen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    This times a million.
    You and 57Brave have your heads so far up Fredi's ass it's embarrassing to witness.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

Garmel (06-08-2015)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Canmt wait until tomorrow to see how FG blew this game.

a) left Cunningham in as the only position player without a hit
    b) used no one but JJ and Grilli yet ...
    c) had Cody Martin (the version of Tommy La Stella) in a high "leverage situation" where he again got his tits lit

forum favorite didnt get a guy out in the 11th.
    2 days ago it was terrible managing

sheeesh

my problem with this is there are knowledge able baseball fans here.
    Knowledgeable baseball fans are not a lynch mob -- especially given the team

C'mon guys, up your game
    Just because he's a pretty bad manager doesn't mean every loss is his fault, nor that every move he makes is bad. It's a lot of little things, and a handful of massive things—over not just this year, but his entire tenure—that add up to his not making the grade.
    Last edited by jpx7; 06-08-2015 at 10:21 PM.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (06-08-2015), Braves1976 (06-08-2015), Dalyn (06-09-2015), Garmel (06-08-2015), Hawk (06-09-2015), sturg33 (06-08-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Just because he's a pretty bad manager doesn't mean every loss is his fault, nor that every move he makes is bad. It's a lot of little things, and a handful of massive things ,over not just this year, but his entire tenure, that add up to his not making the grade.
    Exactly.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Just because he's a pretty bad manager doesn't mean every loss is his fault, nor that every move he makes is bad. It's a lot of little things, and a handful of massive things—over not just this year, but his entire tenure—that add up to his not making the grade.
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

16. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

Hawk (06-09-2015)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Fredi had to follow an overrated legend. His tenure is and was a no win situation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    Fredi didn't exactly light up the world with his managing last night but his moves weren't the cause of this loss.

Freddie Freeman not playing heads up and letting himself get hit by a batted ball cost us at least one and probably two runs. That was Freddie not having his head in the game.

Then there was Grilli's throwing error in the 9th. That was just pitiful.

If you're going to blame Fredi for this loss, blame his inability to keep his players playing with intensity and focus. His in game calls weren't the reason we lost. Really no matter who he went with out of the pen in extras it was going to be a bad choice. It's not like he left Kimbrel standing there warming up in favor of Martin. It was a couple bonehead plays by veterans who know better that cost us.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Fredi didn't exactly light up the world with his managing last night but his moves weren't the cause of this loss.

Freddie Freeman not playing heads up and letting himself get hit by a batted ball cost us at least one and probably two runs. That was Freddie not having his head in the game.

If you're going to blame Fredi for this loss, blame his inability to keep his players playing with intensity and focus. His in game calls weren't the reason we lost. Really no matter who he went with out of the pen in extras it was going to be a bad choice. It's not like he left Kimbrel standing there warming up in favor of Martin. It was a couple bonehead plays by veterans who know better that cost us.
    at last some sense here. Everything is Fredi's fault. I'm waiting to see how Cody Martin's dreadful play gets put on Fredi's feet. Did he use him too much, or too little? He ruined his confidence by forcing him to pitch in close games? The time honored "put him in a position to fail?"

Did it ever occur to anyone how easy it is to second guess a manager's decisions when you have a ****ty team that is going to lose most of its games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

1) not sure what moves or non moves you are talking about

2) ever played baseball ? Ball moves pretty quick, doesn't it? sometimes this happens. Heads up has very little to do with it. Ball hit him

3) Grilli , like Johnson, the other night threw a ball away. That is part of the game

4) This team plays with nothing but intensity and focus. You could argue they play with too much at times-- as in trying too hard.
    I go back to a bunt Simmons put down last year trying to create something. FG got demolished for making that call when in fact Simmons took that play on on his own. Trying to make something out of nothing.
    That is a football notion that has nothing to do with the game of baseball
    //////

Repeat again and again
    It's the bullpen
    It's the bullpen
    It's the bullpen

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    1) not sure what moves or non moves you are talking about

2) ever played baseball ? Ball moves pretty quick, doesn't it? sometimes this happens. Heads up has very little to do with it. Ball hit him

3) Grilli , like Johnson, the other night threw a ball away. That is part of the game

4) This team plays with nothing but intensity and focus. You could argue they play with too much at times-- as in trying too hard.
    I go back to a bunt Simmons put down last year trying to create something. FG got demolished for making that call when in fact Simmons took that play on on his own. Trying to make something out of nothing.
    That is a football notion that has nothing to do with the game of baseball
    //////

Repeat again and again
    It's the bullpen
    It's the bullpen
    It's the bullpen
    1) You could second guess Fredi for pulling Miller when he did. There were some pinch hitting decisions that could have been done differently. While the buttons Fredi punched didn't really work (Johnson gave up a critical run), it's hard to say they were terrible decisions that cost us the game. They at least had some logic to them for once.

2) When you're at second one of the things you're supposed to do is keep an eye on the ball when it's put in play. Savvy players will even time their running to third to try to screen the shortstop's view of the ball. Freddie wasn't looking for the ball. This was a ground ball up the middle and while it was hit hard, Freddie had plenty of time to get out of the way if he had kept an eye on it. I'm pretty sure he'd even tell you that. It's a mental mistake that cost us two runs.

3) Grilli's throw to second wasn't just a little off target or in the dirt or something. He wasn't even close. Maybe it was just part of the game but it was sloppy play no matter how you cut it.

4) This team has shown awesome intensity most of the year. The past week or so this team has taken body blow after body blow from it's pen. Hopefully last night was a one shot deal but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see this as the start of a stretch of sloppy, unfocused play. It's hard to keep focused in every game when you're just waiting to see which guy in the pen melts down or how the manager will screw up tonight. Fredi's not a guy who has shown a great ability to snap guys out of that malaise either. Again, hopefully it's just one night with an unusually high number of critical mistakes but I wouldn't be shocked to see it continue.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    1) You could second guess Fredi for pulling Miller when he did. There were some pinch hitting decisions that could have been done differently. While the buttons Fredi punched didn't really work (Johnson gave up a critical run), it's hard to say they were terrible decisions that cost us the game. They at least had some logic to them for once.

2) When you're at second one of the things you're supposed to do is keep an eye on the ball when it's put in play. Savvy players will even time their running to third to try to screen the shortstop's view of the ball. Freddie wasn't looking for the ball. This was a ground ball up the middle and while it was hit hard, Freddie had plenty of time to get out of the way if he had kept an eye on it. I'm pretty sure he'd even tell you that. It's a mental mistake that cost us two runs.

3) Grilli's throw to second wasn't just a little off target or in the dirt or something. He wasn't even close. Maybe it was just part of the game but it was sloppy play no matter how you cut it.

4) This team has shown awesome intensity most of the year. The past week or so this team has taken body blow after body blow from it's pen. Hopefully last night was a one shot deal but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see this as the start of a stretch of sloppy, unfocused play. It's hard to keep focused in every game when you're just waiting to see which guy in the pen melts down or how the manager will screw up tonight. Fredi's not a guy who has shown a great ability to snap guys out of that malaise either. Again, hopefully it's just one night with an unusually high number of critical mistakes but I wouldn't be shocked to see it continue.
    Fredi logic: "I don't know what's going on with the guys in the bullpen, but whatever it is it has to stop."