Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: 6/11/15: GDT - San Diego Padres @ Atlanta Braves

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    Fredi and Bo have a relationship though. I wouldn't grump at all if Bo Porter was our manager. I like Bo Porter. But I also liked Fredi. I thought he was really good with Florida as an outside observer. Not sure who I'd name as our next manager, but I would like to keep McDowell and Seitzer.
    I don't think we'd have any problem keeping Seitzer and McDowell if Fredi were fired. Though others on his staff with connections further back might go with Fredi.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I have no idea. It's not my job to know. Do you not think the rate our pitchers have gotten hurt - specifically with TJ - is alarming? Do you assume it's a coincidence?

I have no issue keeping mcDowell - but like I said, the shine has worn off a bit. Although it's probably bc I'm just mad we traded Heyward
    It's alarming But I don't see a link to McDowell's philosopy or a name of a current pitching coach who would prevent those injuries. Maybe it was just Wren's camp wasn't good at drafting guys who weren't major injury risks?
    thank you weso1!

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    It's alarming But I don't see a link to McDowell's philosopy or a name of a current pitching coach who would prevent those injuries. Maybe it was just Wren's camp wasn't good at drafting guys who weren't major injury risks?
    I have absolutely no doubt that Wren is to blame

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    I don't think we'd have any problem keeping Seitzer and McDowell if Fredi were fired. Though others on his staff with connections further back might go with Fredi.
    I think you are taking that for granted. Fredi/Bobby/Porter have a relationship with these guys. I don't think you can ignore that. There's a reason the highly respected Seitzer came here in a year where Fredi may have been a lame duck. By all accounts Seitzer was a very highly respected hitting coach and he's on Fredi's staff right now.
    thank you weso1!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,291 Posts
    Don't Roger and KS have contracts? If we fired Fredi it doesn't release them from their contracts.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    I never said it as an automatic just a possibility. Thus my hesitation.
    worth the risk to get rid of Fredi
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    I think you are taking that for granted. Fredi/Bobby/Porter have a relationship with these guys. I don't think you can ignore that. There's a reason the highly respected Seitzer came here in a year where Fredi may have been a lame duck. By all accounts Seitzer was a very highly respected hitting coach and he's on Fredi's staff right now.
    I disagree, Fredi didn't show any indication that he even knew Seitzer till he got here nor what he teaches about hitting. Sure he was actively involved in the process but that's not the same thing. Seitzer gave the impression that he came here because he liked the challenge here and thought he could help. Now Bo Porter is another matter, you are right that they had a prior connection but Porter didn't impress me as manager in Houston so I am not interested in him replacing Fredi to be honest. However, I don't think he could do as bad as Fredi so if I had to choose between them I'd say "Hey Bo, you're the new manager!" :)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    57's defense of Fredi is baffling...
    Not necessarily defending Fredi per se.
    I just don't get the vitriol aimed at him for doing what 99% of MLB managers would do.

I have no idea who would do a better / different job given the team he was handed
    Last edited by 57Brave; 06-12-2015 at 07:31 AM.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    K
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Not necessarily defending Fredi per se.
    I just don't get the vitriol aimed at him for doing what 99% of MLB managers would do.

I have no idea who would do a better / different job given the team he was handed
    I get hammered for "defending" Fredi, as though I'm a Fredi fan. I'm not. But I think what's got most of us frustrated is this bullpen. And it's not bullpen management, it's the pitchers therein.

Kind of like blaming a terrible choir director for the choir when the problem isn't the arrangement, it's...notes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    What I've concluded about this season so far is that by far the biggest miscalculation by the front office was how good the rest of the division would be. No way in their wildest dreams did they expect to be within three games of first place in June.
    Somebody ought to get their ass fired in Washington, not in Atlanta. With that pitching, they ought to be 20 over.

Bryce's hair is worth 3 WAR by itself.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (06-12-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    I've watched Gene Mauch, Chuck Tanner,Russ Nixon and Eddie Haas.
    Fredi doesn't hold a candle to those guys

Just imagine the fireworks if Fredi started Omar Moreno endlessly in CF and leadoff then laugh it off after the games !
    As hard of a time BJ had here ( and visa versa) he was an upgrade over Moreno

Or any manager that ever used Charlie Puelo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Well... Mazonne had a radical throwing program and few pitchers got hurt. Mcdowell pulled it back quite a bit and the injuries have piled up like I've never seen.

Both pitching coaches had good results. One had healthy pitchers.

I'll also admit that some of the shine has worn off a bit on Roger with the performance of the pen this year... fairly or not
    I have my son on Leo's program. We throw a little, every day, a lot at distance. And never max effort. And he's under orders not to go over 90% effort in games, which is tough to regulate in competition. But we try.

Lots of lower body, always, as you can see in my avatar. Form throwing always.

Throw often, long toss, no max effort. Not so radical. Sent Greg Maddux and Tom Glavine to the bump every fifth day for twenty years.
    Last edited by GovClintonTyree; 06-12-2015 at 07:57 AM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

57Brave (06-12-2015), Braves1976 (06-12-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Somebody ought to get their ass fired in Washington, not in Atlanta. With that pitching, they ought to be 20 over.

Bryce's hair is worth 3 WAR by itself.
    I judge managers by how their teams play fundamental ball -- game in game out.
    If a Tony LaRussa's team hits two cut off men in a row those would be the first
    The Braves rarely make ill timed relays or miss cut off men. They are always in the right place

I think managers are responsible for the mind set of their teams. This teams mind set is off the charts - shoot they came back from 5 down the other night against a pitcher considered by many to be top 15 in MLB. People rave on about how much fun this team is to watch - then bash the manager in the next sentence. Often the same sentence

I think managers are responsible to listen to their coaches and not try to do it all alone. This team has his coaches fingerprints all over it.
    Where Fredi was bashed earlier this season for not setling on a line up -- I thought that was praise worthy.
    He finally fooled around and found one that worked. Not popular, but worked.

Nats
    Padres
    Dodgers

To name just 3 are teams that are seriously underperforming.

The Braves are doing anything but under performing.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to 57Brave For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (06-12-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Well... Mazonne had a radical throwing program and few pitchers got hurt. Mcdowell pulled it back quite a bit and the injuries have piled up like I've never seen.

Both pitching coaches had good results. One had healthy pitchers.

I'll also admit that some of the shine has worn off a bit on Roger with the performance of the pen this year... fairly or not
    Sturg I understand you pitched beyond high school
    What were your programs?

Prescribed or found on your own?

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Sturg I understand you pitched beyond high school
    What were your programs?

Prescribed or found on your own?
    Pitched once a weekend in game... twice during the week.

Broke my elbow twice

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    I continue to believe that Fredi will be shown the door at some point between now and mid-November. If he's to be fired during the season, Hart needs to find the right inflection point to ensure the decision is perceived as fair by the players and staff. If the team stays in the race deep into the season, that opportunity might not present itself. Porter and Tosca are Fredi's guys, so it would likely be TP as interim manager if it comes to that. I don't suspect Fredi's fate will have any affect on McDowell or Seitzer.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (06-12-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    I continue to believe that Fredi will be shown the door at some point between now and mid-November. If he's to be fired during the season, Hart needs to find the right inflection point to ensure the decision is perceived as fair by the players and staff. If the team stays in the race deep into the season, that opportunity might not present itself. Porter and Tosca are Fredi's guys, so it would likely be TP as interim manager if it comes to that. I don't suspect Fredi's fate will have any affect on McDowell or Seitzer.
    Agreed.