Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 6/14/15 SUNDAY MINORS FINAL ... 4-hit day for Davidson

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    There's no way we can move Folty to the pen at this point given what he's flashed at times as a starter. Banuelos and Hursh, sure. But Folty should be given every chance to succeed in the rotation.
    I'd love to see him make it as a starter as well, but what he's "flashed" is that he's extremely hittable when he throws anything other than gas. His WHIP isn't 1.56 because he's walking the world (like our bullpen is) - he's only given up less than 5 hits in 2 of his 9 starts, and he's averaging less than 6 IP per start. If you throw out the one good start he had against the Brewers, he's given up 61 hits in 44.1 IP. If you take the Milwaukee and San Francisco starts (his two good ones) away, he HASN'T allowed less than 5 hits in a start and has given up 56 hits in 37.2 IP. His secondary pitches simply aren't ready for primetime. His overall strike/ball ratio is bad (531/313), and everything he throws other than his fastball is getting clobbered.

We all understand the upside if he can ever develop at least one solid secondary pitch, but he's going to continue to get crushed at this level until he does. You can already see he's lost in his reactions. If they're going to try to continue developing him as a starter, he needs to go back to Gwinnett and throw nothing but offspeed stuff before he loses confidence in himself.
    Last edited by clvclv; 06-15-2015 at 12:34 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying it's time to give up the ghost yet. I'm just pointing out that he's been given an extended look and taste, and it's become quite obvious (even to him) what he needs to do if he's ever going to succeed at this level as a starter. It's one thing to tell players this is where we want to see improvement before we call you up and an entirely different one for them to understand how much improvement is needed without being thrown into the fire to see it themselves.

Folty made 4 starts before he was called up and showed improvement, but was still walking ~4 batters every 9 innings. He was getting away with some things down there that he just won't get away with in the majors. He's had a chance to see just how much of a difference there is, and even he won't argue that he still needs LOTS of work. Let him go get that work at Gwinnett now that he's seen firsthand what will happen to him if he doesn't get better.

I personally think the same thing should be done for Wisler and Banuelos - call them up for 8-10 starts so they can see how significant the difference is themselves. This will keep them from "stagnating" in Gwinnett and wondering what else they have to do to get their shots. When they get blown up a few times, they'll have a much better focus when they go back down to finish their development off.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,324 Posts
    Davidson's line in June is .386/.481/.545. Wow.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Garmel For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (06-15-2015), nsacpi (06-15-2015), Tapate50 (06-15-2015), thethe (06-15-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    Stud
    Natural Immunity Croc

6. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

Garmel (06-15-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    Shreve would really help this BP right now, he's pitching great. If Man-Ban ends up a reliever (likely), that trade looks bad in hindsight IMO.
    Barring injury again, Man-Ban should make it as a starter if given a shot to do so here. I disagree that his upside is only back of the rotation and so do the Braves from what I've read, etc. Further, I could see arguing that it is likely he starts out in the bullpen simply because next season we may not have a spot in the rotation open. So in that case he could go to the bullpen a la Alex Wood for a time. Then maybe join the rotation later if there's an injury or poor performance.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

yeezus (06-15-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    It surprises me Wren's crew managed to draft him. I guess what they say about blind squirrels is true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post

10. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (06-15-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    It surprises me Wren's crew managed to draft him. I guess what they say about blind squirrels is true.
    I wonder how much control Wren had after Hart was brought in last year. We will never know but something to think about.
    Natural Immunity Croc

12. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (06-15-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I wonder how much control Wren had after Hart was brought in last year. We will never know but something to think about.
    Also JS was around, which might explain some of the other good things that happened.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (06-15-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Also JS was around, which might explain some of the other good things that happened.
    I know what you are trying to do but JS deserves credit and blame since he was overseeing everythiNg.

But, if you don't think that the power system was changing after Hart was brought on then we will have to disagree on that. Otherwise, why bring him in?
    Natural Immunity Croc

16. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (06-15-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I know what you are trying to do but JS deserves credit and blame since he was overseeing everythiNg.

But, if you don't think that the power system was changing after Hart was brought on then we will have to disagree on that. Otherwise, why bring him in?
    Obviously to find players like Davidson that Wren's crew never would have been able to.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (06-15-2015), jpx7 (06-16-2015), Julio3000 (06-15-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    I think if we are going to focus on pitching that we should break some the young pitchers in as multi inning relievers. Like Folty, let him go 3 innings every 5 days and piggyback him on our worst starter. That gives the rest of the pen 1 out of every 5 games off and let's the pitcher get mug need experience. I would do this with Folty, Wisler, and Banuelos. 3 innings every 5 days.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts

Well, if you subscribe to doubleplusgood rightthink, Frank Wren was hired by Terry McGuirk, and JS had no input on anything Frank Wren did, so you have to give Wren credit for drafting Davidson, no?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Well, if you subscribe to doubleplusgood rightthink, Frank Wren was hired by Terry McGuirk, and JS had no input on anything Frank Wren did, so you have to give Wren credit for drafting Davidson, no?
    I thought Frank Wren was that Devil that went down to Georgia. You cannot give the "Devil" any credit, JS and the good old boys club is the best there's ever been! :)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Giving credit to a GM for a draft is not a good sign to me anyway. In a properly constructed organization they should have little to do with the sraft.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    I thought Frank Wren was that Devil that went down to Georgia. You cannot give the "Devil" any credit, JS and the good old boys club is the best there's ever been! :)
    He is not the devil, but my research shows him to be a direct descendent of William Tecumseh Sherman.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (06-15-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Giving credit to a GM for a draft is not a good sign to me anyway. In a properly constructed organization they should have little to do with the sraft.
    But Hart has never held the GM title with the Braves so it is kosher to give him credit for drafting Davidson.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    But Hart has never held the GM title with the Braves so it is kosher to give him credit for drafting Davidson.
    I dont believe I did.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I dont believe I did.
    I don't believe you did either. But if you were to do so it would be kosher since he never had the GM title with the Braves. I've checked with my rabbi and he backs me up on this.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 06-15-2015 at 06:34 PM.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    So the GM doesn't have anything to do with the draft, but Wren ran off the guys who run the draft, but apparently he takes the blame for hiring their lesser replacements, even though he has nothing to do with the draft. Is that right?

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (06-15-2015), jpx7 (06-16-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    So the GM doesn't have anything to do with the draft, but Wren ran off the guys who run the draft, but apparently he takes the blame for hiring their lesser replacements, even though he has nothing to do with the draft. Is that right?
    But that's why he is getting criticism. Because he ran off the guys that historically did such a greatnjob.
    Natural Immunity Croc