Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: 6/14/15 GDT: Braves (Foltynewicz) @ Mets (Gee)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Lol so now we are going to compare Folty to three of the best pitchers in baseball history?

Playing the Waiting Game Krovahn's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    David O'Brien ‏@DOBrienAJC 3m3 minutes ago
    #Braves Folty: 1 win and 5.66 ERA in his past 6 starts, with 45 hits (6 homers) allowed in 35 innings

I don't see a problem with sending him to AAA for a couple starts to try to figure it out while bringing up Man-Ban to see how he performs. If Folty shows he has it back, or if Man-Ban doesn't perform like he has in AAA then re-swap them.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Lol so now we are going to compare Folty to three of the best pitchers in baseball history?
    Lol so now we are willfully missing the point?
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Lol so now we are willfully missing the point?
    I agree with him that the hype surrounding Folty is crazy high, I've seen comps to both Smoltz and Scherzer around here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    I agree with him that the hype surrounding Folty is crazy high, I've seen comps to both Smoltz and Scherzer around here.
    I don't think anyone is seriously comparing Foltynewicz's likely ceiling to either one of those—certainly I am not. I think the point—at least as I've read it in this thread—is that even great pitchers often struggle to find their footing at first, so we can't discern in mid-June of his first real season how good (or bad) of a starting-pitcher Foltynewicz can or will be.

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    I don't think anyone is seriously comparing Foltynewicz's likely ceiling to either one of those—certainly I am not. I think the point—at least as I've read it in this thread—is that even great pitchers often struggle to find their footing at first, so we can't discern in mid-June of his first real season how good (or bad) of a starting-pitcher Foltynewicz can or will be.

some one gets it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Oh, I am sure some posters have done that. They made it very clear at the time, but I wasn't talking about this thread of course nor you. Further, I certainly agree with you on the point about even great pitchers having their struggles, not always at first but at some point. I remember arguing with my Dad back in '91 over my boy Smoltz when Smoltz had a bad first half before his great second half and playoffs. My Dad wanted Smoltzy demoted to the minors at the time. Thankfully Bobby Cox didn't do that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    @mlbbowman
    The #Braves have now lost each of the past three games they've scored at least 8 runs. They went 135-2 when doing so from 2009-14.

@mlbbowman
    In other words, the #Braves have lost more games when scoring at least 8 runs over the past 2 weeks than they did over the past 6 seasons

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    If the Braves can't break in a young starter in this rebuild year then a pitcher can never struggle with us. Let the man pitch. Wins and losses aren't the most important thing this year.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    If the Braves can't break in a young starter in this rebuild year then a pitcher can never struggle with us. Let the man pitch. Wins and losses aren't the most important thing this year.
    At the same time, however... you don't want him to keep pitching and failing and shatter his confidence. Especially when its something like control which you can keep working on in the minors and still pitch every turn.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

Krovahn (06-14-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    At the same time, however... you don't want him to keep pitching and failing and shatter his confidence. Especially when its something like control which you can keep working on in the minors and still pitch every turn.
    I don't disagree with that. There is a point where if Folty keeps on having stinkers like today that you have to make a decision. However, I do not think we are close to that point. He has had plenty of solid outings so far this year that makes me want to see more.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    I hope we add some more good groundball pitchers to this team with our mostly great infield defense (not counting CJ of course). This is the best infield defense we've had in a while IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    I don't disagree with that. There is a point where if Folty keeps on having stinkers like today that you have to make a decision. However, I do not think we are close to that point. He has had plenty of solid outings so far this year that makes me want to see more.
    If he pitches the second half of June as poorly as he has the first half, then maybe you look at AAA.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

thethe (06-14-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Shoot, if we were talking about Perez all it would take is one game like today and folks would be calling for his head (we've already seen that with Perez despite his success so far). IMO Folty gets a pass for the reasons I covered earlier in this thread. I also disagree that he's had plenty of solid outings so far this year, he hasn't made it through six innings in 6 of his 9 starts. That only makes it tougher on our bad bullpen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Shoot, if we were talking about Perez all it would take is one game like today and folks would be calling for his head (we've already seen that with Perez despite his success so far). IMO Folty gets a pass for the reasons I covered earlier in this thread. I also disagree that he's had plenty of solid outings so far this year, he hasn't made it through six innings in 6 of his 9 starts. That only makes it tougher on our bad bullpen.
    In terms of pure ceiling I believe Folty is a better bet to be an impact starter than Williams Perez. I am by nature a patient person and even moreso with my sport teams as long as I feel they are looking at the big picture long term.

I also define a solid outing differently for a young/green pitcher like Folty than I would say Teheran.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    In terms of pure ceiling I believe Folty is a better bet to be an impact starter than Williams Perez. I am by nature a patient person and even moreso with my sport teams as long as I feel they are looking at the big picture long term.

I also define a solid outing differently for a young/green pitcher like Folty than I would say Teheran.
    I wasn't debating the ceiling of either pitcher. Bottom line: If Folty keeps struggling and not going deep they'll have to do something eventually. Plus I wouldn't just assume struggling a lot won't hurt his confidence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I wasn't debating the ceiling of either pitcher. Bottom line: If Folty keeps struggling and not going deep they'll have to do something eventually. Plus I wouldn't just assume struggling a lot won't hurt his confidence.
    If struggling hurts his confidence ten he won't be a good major league pitcher either way.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Minor sucked balls his initial years in the majors.

Smoltz and Glavine struggled as well. If Folty is as good, it benefits him to be up with Roger and get his growing pains. He can dominate hitters in the minors with his stuff but he can't learn how to pitch against major league talent in the minors. Needs to happen up in the bigs.
    Forever Fredi

21. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

thethe (06-14-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    If struggling hurts his confidence ten he won't be a good major league pitcher either way.
    Actually, plenty of pitchers that later turned into good pitchers had struggles and reported that they lost some confidence for a time. Then when things fell into place they built their confidence back up and had more success.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    He also has not had near as many good outings as you seem to remember. In fact, I only remember one start where I felt comfortable... and I'm pretty sure I've seen all of his MLB starts.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (06-14-2015)