Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: 6/14/15 GDT: Braves (Foltynewicz) @ Mets (Gee)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    You just cant be surprised anymore when the bullpen blows leads.

It is a rebuilding/transition year but still kinda frustrating we'd be in 1st if we had a decent pen, cant count on both my hands how many leads we've blown.

Another note, good to see Jace continue to keep hitting well.

I'd probably keep Folty up, let him work through his struggles, but if the clocks of Wisler or ManBan dont have a huge impact, then bring one up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heywood View Post
    Minor sucked balls his initial years in the majors.

Smoltz and Glavine struggled as well. If Folty is as good, it benefits him to be up with Roger and get his growing pains. He can dominate hitters in the minors with his stuff but he can't learn how to pitch against major league talent in the minors. Needs to happen up in the bigs.
    Problem is, I wouldn't say he's dominated the minors at all yet. He had one very good year in AA... struggled last year mightily in AAA (granted it was the PCL)... and only had 4 starts in AAA this year. 6 seasons in the minors with a 1.40 WHIP... sounds like he needs quite a bit of control/command work still to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Problem is, I wouldn't say he's dominated the minors at all yet. He had one very good year in AA... struggled last year mightily in AAA (granted it was the PCL)... and only had 4 starts in AAA this year. 6 seasons in the minors with a 1.40 WHIP... sounds like he needs quite a bit of control/command work still to me.
    Yep, that was my take on him too. Houston even admitted that they probably called him up when he wasn't ready last year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Brutal game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    BTW, speaking of giving players chances to show what they can do. I hate it how inconsistent we have been over the years in that regard with position players. I would even go back to when KJ was here last and all the talk about him not being able to go back to playing the outfield his last year here or trying him at other positions in general (besides second). Plus we'll spin things with bad defensive players like Chris Johnson and have no problem starting him at third (sure having Simmons at short made that not turn into a total disaster). But in a rebuild season a player hitting very well like Garcia we won't even give a shot at OF or 3B in the Majors. I bring him up as in a recent game in AAA he had a lot of plays at third and showed better range and arm than Chris Johnson. He even had the opposing team announcers giving his defense at third props. Now am I saying he's a great or even good defender at third overall? No I'm not, I am not sure how good he can be there. I just don't buy that he's worse than Chris Johnson and I like his bat. So I would've liked seeing him get a shot there during his call-up. And I am bringing that up again because I think Uribe might be traded at some point (though I am in favor of bringing Uribe back next year at this point).

PS: I also bring this up because I am seeing such talk again with Bowman saying Peterson doesn't have the arm to play third for Atlanta. Now I am not saying move him off second but this sort of talk is total bull****. Chicago thinks La Stella has enough arm for third and while I disagree I do like that they're not so quick to assume before trying him out there.
    Last edited by Braves1976; 06-14-2015 at 07:39 PM.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Folty needs to pitch.

Are we still in love with McDowell? Pitching has been awful.

The two guys getting PED suspensions really hurt the pen......Viz...the bloom is really off the rose. Simmons being hurt really hurts the pen.

We don't want Folty to be a rookie next year. B/c it's likely we make a move on the staff and have Wisler and/or Man ban up. You don't want 2 rookies in the rotation.

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I don't think the Braves should give up on his starting prospects yet. Like [MENTION=7]thethe[/MENTION] said, give him a full season's worth of major-league starts, then—if it looks like he can't swim in that rôle—you think about transitioning him to the pen.

Both Jason Marquis and Odalis Perez started in the pen in ATL before moving to the rotation. The Cardinals had Wainwright as their closer before he became their ace. Moving Folty to the pen in 2015 doesnt mean you give up on him as a starter, it just means that in 2015 hes best used in the pen. JMO of course.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Perfect Cell For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (06-14-2015)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    i am not kidding

there is no way the AAA pen is worse than the major league clubs overall

just no ****ing way

take the sunk loss and get rid of these bums and try something else
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,814 Posts
    David O'Brien ‏@DOBrienAJC 4h4 hours ago
    That was as down as I've seen Fredi Gonzalez after any game. He sounded exasperated.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    If struggling hurts his confidence ten he won't be a good major league pitcher either way.
    BTW thethe, Folty himself said this concerning his confidence: "I've just got to go out there and get that confidence back a little bit and attack guys. It seems like a broken record the past three starts."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    That was as down as I've seen Fredi Gonzalez after any game. He sounded exasperated.
    I am not sure about that, during the multiple Sept. collapses he seemed pretty down and out too. But I agree that he sounded that way again today.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    joke of a reporter reporting that a joke of a managers most down moment is a game in june instead of the times he choked away seasons or made terrible moves that cost us in the playoffs etc

why am i not shocked when it comes to Fredi
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

14. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-14-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    i am not kidding

there is no way the AAA pen is worse than the major league clubs overall

just no ****ing way

take the sunk loss and get rid of these bums and try something else
    There are three or four arms in the AAA bullpen I like more than multiple relievers in our current bullpen. And that isn't even counting Kohn who I also like as he's on the DL. I hope he's back soon where we can recall him at some point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    joke of a reporter reporting that a joke of a managers most down moment is a game in june instead of the times he choked away seasons or made terrible moves that cost us in the playoffs etc

why am i not shocked when it comes to Fredi
    I have noted Bowman has questioned Fredi a lot more of late while DOB still seems to defend most anything he does.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    We've been blessed with a really good bullpen for several years. It's hard to accept that that those days are gone for now.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Maybe he'll quit.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

19. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (06-14-2015), goldfly (06-14-2015), jpack1 (06-14-2015), Julio3000 (06-15-2015), Perfect Cell (06-14-2015), thethe (06-15-2015), UNCBlue012 (06-15-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Maybe he'll quit.
    One can only hope, nice thought anyway. :)

Anyway, while I had no expectations of winning going into this season it is frustrating looking at how bad this division is knowing that with a decent manager and decent bullpen we could probably win the division. The Mets are not very good but they're still in first place thanks to the Nats injuries, etc. In other words, I am of the opinion both the Nats and Mets seem very beatable if we could fix manager and the bullpen. But we'd need to do it very soon before we fall too far back and I doubt that happens. Further, I doubt this division will be so open for the taking next year as it is now.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Cell View Post
    Both Jason Marquis and Odalis Perez started in the pen in ATL before moving to the rotation. The Cardinals had Wainwright as their closer before he became their ace. Moving Folty to the pen in 2015 doesnt mean you give up on him as a starter, it just means that in 2015 hes best used in the pen. JMO of course.
    I like this idea.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    If struggling hurts his confidence ten he won't be a good major league pitcher either way.
    That's not so. You have to learn to deal with it. It usually doesn't come all at once.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (06-14-2015)