Thread: Frank Wren's Tenure

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I'm one of the few who was skeptical on the Uggla trade from the get-go, but absolutely thought the extension was ridiculous. He also bid against himself for Melvin Upton, Jr., and went about $2 million per year above that market.

But those thoughts aside, I always found Wren too impulsive. I think the Chris Johnson contract is case in point. He made some very good trades, but I still think we were headed for a crossroads post-2015 and there was no contingency plan. I think a plausible case can be made that we should have patched things together as best we could have for 2015 and then let all the free agents walks and make a bunch of other trades in hopes of putting a core together early into the new stadium's life, but that doesn't allow us to escape the fact that big changes were in the offing.

I find it difficult to believe that trading for Rick Ankiel can be viewed as a good move.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

keithlaw (06-17-2015)