Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Heyman: Braves have tried to trade CJ eating alot of the deal.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts

Heyman: Braves have tried to trade CJ eating alot of the deal.

Atlanta has tried to trade third baseman Chris Johnson, even offering to substantially pay down his contract. Johnson is a solid player, but extending at $23.5 million over three years after acquiring him in the Justin Upton trade was a mistake ... Jace Peterson looks like a terrific pickup. He came in the other Upton trade.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/...-more-mlb-news

Nothing ground-breaking i know, slow news day.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,282 Posts
    The front office is in a tough spot with CJ, no doubt, but it's hard for him to re-gain his value when he never plays. The only shot we had to trade Johnson was for him to get off to a hot start and entice some team with a weakness at third base to fall for a high batting average and a bunch of pretty line drives.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Uribe might be willing to eat some of it.

4. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (06-19-2015), BoneThrower (06-22-2015), Chico (06-19-2015), chopdrew (06-19-2015), CJ9 (06-19-2015), DaneHill (06-19-2015), Garmel (06-19-2015), Gary82 (06-19-2015), goldfly (06-19-2015), Heyward (06-19-2015), JohnAdcox (06-20-2015), jpx7 (06-19-2015), Metaphysicist (06-20-2015), mossy (06-19-2015), Prikichi (06-20-2015), striker42 (06-19-2015), sturg33 (06-19-2015), Tapate50 (06-19-2015), The Chosen One (06-19-2015), zitothebrave (06-19-2015)

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Uribe might be willing to eat some of it.
    This is so stupid, but I totally snickered.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

57Brave (06-19-2015), Julio3000 (06-19-2015), Prikichi (06-20-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    568 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Atlanta has tried to trade third baseman Chris Johnson, even offering to substantially pay down his contract. Johnson is a solid player, but extending at $23.5 million over three years after acquiring him in the Justin Upton trade was a mistake ... Jace Peterson looks like a terrific pickup. He came in the other Upton trade.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/...-more-mlb-news

Nothing ground-breaking i know, slow news day.
    See I don't agree with this. I do agree that they are shopping CJ but I don't think they are doing it extensively as the media portrays. There are quite a few teams that are having a hard time at the hotbox and that acquiring CJ would be a bit of a boost. The way I see it, if they were adamant on trading him, he'd be gone.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I think it comes down to other teams wanting to send back money and the savings not being enough. CJ should be shipped off at any cost given Uribe being a much better player. Even with Uribe being a FA, we can slide Peterson to 3B or Peraza to 3B or maybe Rio will be ready by the start of next year. He's struggling now but a hot streak could change it all.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    I think it comes down to other teams wanting to send back money and the savings not being enough. CJ should be shipped off at any cost given Uribe being a much better player. Even with Uribe being a FA, we can slide Peterson to 3B or Peraza to 3B or maybe Rio will be ready by the start of next year. He's struggling now but a hot streak could change it all.
    I'd bring back Uribe next year.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

goldfly (06-19-2015), JohnAdcox (06-20-2015), Prikichi (06-20-2015)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Still think there's an opportunity there - maybe even without having to eat "most" of the money - IF (a big one, obviously) the right prospects are involved.

Given Jace's emergence, I'd seriously consider talking to Uribe to see if he'd be interested in staying through at least 2016 with an option for 2017. If he would and Ruiz isn't ready when the new park opens you'd have the opportunity to give him another year and pay Juan or buy him out if you'd rather take a shot at Beltre or Prado on a short-term deal (maybe 2 years with an option max).

Since the Brewers should turn into sellers any day now, they'll be looking to unload Ramirez with no viable option ready behind him for awhile. If I'm Hart, I'd call Doug Melvin and offer him Peraza, Sims, and Johnson plus $8 million for Jonathon Lucroy. The money makes the deal salary neutral (it's the difference between Johnson and Lucroy's salaries), and would give them a CF replacement for Carlos Gomez if they move him for prospects, a 3B replacement for Ramirez if they can get anything for him since he's in the last year of his deal, and a high-upside arm that might benefit from a change of scenery.

The benefit for us is obvious - we get our answer behind the plate and a chance to lock him up through maybe 2020 while we have money to spend. Offering to extend Lucroy at $10-$12 million per for those years ($30-$36 million) would take him through his age 34 season and be a much sounder investment than chasing Wieters IMO since it would leave you more money to absolutely try to knock J-Up's socks off with an offer this winter.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (06-20-2015)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,823 Posts
    Man - we'd be able to easily pay for the whole thing without the Cahill trade

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,911 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Your master status of baiting is without equal.
    Ivermectin Man

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (06-20-2015)

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    You're so annoying, and i know i cant be talking, all you do is bash the FO.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Still think there's an opportunity there - maybe even without having to eat "most" of the money - IF (a big one, obviously) the right prospects are involved.

Given Jace's emergence, I'd seriously consider talking to Uribe to see if he'd be interested in staying through at least 2016 with an option for 2017. If he would and Ruiz isn't ready when the new park opens you'd have the opportunity to give him another year and pay Juan or buy him out if you'd rather take a shot at Beltre or Prado on a short-term deal (maybe 2 years with an option max).

Since the Brewers should turn into sellers any day now, they'll be looking to unload Ramirez with no viable option ready behind him for awhile. If I'm Hart, I'd call Doug Melvin and offer him Peraza, Sims, and Johnson plus $8 million for Jonathon Lucroy. The money makes the deal salary neutral (it's the difference between Johnson and Lucroy's salaries), and would give them a CF replacement for Carlos Gomez if they move him for prospects, a 3B replacement for Ramirez if they can get anything for him since he's in the last year of his deal, and a high-upside arm that might benefit from a change of scenery.

The benefit for us is obvious - we get our answer behind the plate and a chance to lock him up through maybe 2020 while we have money to spend. Offering to extend Lucroy at $10-$12 million per for those years ($30-$36 million) would take him through his age 34 season and be a much sounder investment than chasing Wieters IMO since it would leave you more money to absolutely try to knock J-Up's socks off with an offer this winter.
    It would cost at least Wood, Sims, CJ, Peraza to get Lucroy and someone else.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    It would cost at least Wood, Sims, CJ, Peraza to get Lucroy and someone else.
    Who else?

Peraza, Sims, Johnson and $8 million for Lucroy is what the above says.

I think you must've read something into that that wasn't there.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,745 Posts
    Its not nearly as bad the BJ deal. CJ is still a good bench bat even if horribly overpaid. If they keep him out there someone will take him eventually. Might not be till his last year but the longer it goes the less he is owed overall and the easier it gets to trade him. If Vernon Wells can be traded Chris Johnson can be given away.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Who else?

No, he's just Heyward.
    The Atlanta Braves signed Nick Markakis for 4/45 - Never forget 12/3/2014

"Klay Thompson > James Harden" - Heyward

"Chris Bosh is the MVP of the Miami Heat" - Heyward

"Hibbert is better than Dwight Howard"- Heyward

"Steven Adams will be a top 10 center in two years - thethe

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Who else?

You really think Peraza, Sims, and CJ with money eaten nets Lucroy?

You can offer that all you want, Mil isnt giving Lucroy away for that.

And im saying my offer of Wood, Sims, Peraza, CJ is a better chance to get Lucroy and something else than what you offered.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    You really think Peraza, Sims, and CJ with money eaten nets Lucroy?

You can offer that all you want, Mil isnt giving Lucroy away for that.

And im saying my offer of Wood, Sims, Peraza, CJ is a better chance to get Lucroy and something else than what you offered.
    I do.

I also don't think Wood will be dealt at this point. The other arms are too unproven and too far away to project a 2017 rotation without him in it - at this point. That's not to say that he couldn't conceivably be dealt prior to 2017, but not this early. I could see Alex being traded sometime in 2016 IF Folty, Wisler, and Banuelos prove that they're ready to be capable rotation options by the time camp breaks next spring, but probably not before that. I also don't see what "else" Milwaukee has to offer that would be worth adding Wood to that offer to obtain unless you're getting Gomez to sign a below-market deal.
    Last edited by clvclv; 06-19-2015 at 02:14 PM.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Peraza/Sims/CJ is a fantastic deal for Milwaukee in exchange for Lucroy -- and even if they paid the entire remainder of CJ's contract (which people continue to get their panties wadded about, but is a menial amount) they would be insane not to jump on it.

If Lucroy was 2/3 years younger I'd do that deal as a Braves fan. I wouldn't now.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    The Brewers would laugh in our face at an offer of Peraza, Sims, and CJ. Good grief. Sims is quickly running himself out of prospect status, and CJ is a terrible defensive 3B with no speed OPS'ing at .616 and hasn't hit .300 in OBP in 2 years. He has negative value.

Peraza would be the only thing they'd want in that deal, and that doesn't even begin to approach Lucroy's value.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (06-20-2015), Prikichi (06-20-2015)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I think the brewers would want Peraza, CB, and one of Folty/Wisler/Wood. If we tried to attach CJ they'd prob want two of those guys.

The CJ deal was the worst move of Wrenn for me...b/c it made no sense and was terrible before the ink dried.

That said, I don't think it's a crippling amount of money. The issue is the roster spot. The 25 man and 40 man can get crowded and you hate to lose someone b/c you have to keep CJ. I wonder if there will be an injury and we can find a contender who needs a bench bat to mash lefties. Maybe that team would pay some. Braves are eating at least half, prob 2/3 of it.