Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Thread: GDT: 8-4-13 Braves at Phillies (Brooms Ready)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunit24 View Post
    That package is just for starters. Those 2 would be the headliners, but to my point, I wouldnt want to trade either of them for one, but would love to hear peoples take on it. I think if this team had a TRUE ace, it would be lethal for the next few years, but Im not sure im willing to give up what it will take.
    Personally, I think Teheran could be a top 10 pitcher in baseball and Mike Minor is on his way to being a top 20 pitcher if he isn't already. I love our pitching.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    I am as well. Both have ace potential and I think both get there sooner rather than later.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dunit24 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-05-2013)

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Personally, I think Teheran could be a top 10 pitcher in baseball and Mike Minor is on his way to being a top 20 pitcher if he isn't already. I love our pitching.
    I don't see the point in flipping two cheap players for one expensive one.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-05-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    I don't see the point in flipping two cheap players for one expensive one.
    Good point. Braves should follow the Tampa Bay model given how well we develope talent, etc. Plus I don't agree with those wanting to trade Gattis. I do agree with trading Medlen this off-season though. I'm also for bringing back Huddy as our veteran next year (Rotation: Minor, Teheran, Beachy, Huddy, Wood).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    Good point. Braves should follow the Tampa Bay model given how well we develope talent, etc. Plus I don't agree with those wanting to trade Gattis. I do agree with trading Medlen this off-season though. I'm also for bringing back Huddy as our veteran next year (Rotation: Minor, Teheran, Beachy, Huddy, Wood).
    Yeah, I hate it for Kris but the other options are either better, cheaper, or both.

I have faith the Braves will be able to consistently produce #3-5 starters. Keep Minor/Julio and roll the dice.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Nice win last night.

Liked the way Fredi used the pen.

Walden, Carpenter and Avilan are fresh.

Unfortunately Kimbrel isn't today.

Fredi almost went to what I said and only used Downs, Ayala, and Varvaro.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tiger2vette2 View Post
    Anyone else think we're seeing the Phillies crumbling (in big picture terms)? Or to put it another way, have they lived long enough as the hero to see themselves become the villain?

I'm not making guarantees or anything, but it wouldn't surprise me if they weren't competitive again for another decade.
    They have like a 5 billion TV contract coming in a few years.

They should of traded some of their players for prospects though.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Nonetheless - another great series and time to stomp the throats of Wash. Just won't have to Kimbrel to shut the door tomorrow if needed.
    Walden and Luis are both fresh.

As well as Carpenter.

And in this park, a 3 run lead can go by real quick. Secure the wins while you can.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunit24 View Post
    That package is just for starters. Those 2 would be the headliners, but to my point, I wouldnt want to trade either of them for one, but would love to hear peoples take on it. I think if this team had a TRUE ace, it would be lethal for the next few years, but Im not sure im willing to give up what it will take.
    Imagine this team with Waino......

Oh well.

Ugh that trade still pisses me off, way more than the Tex trade.

I'd trade Meds for prospects to bolster the system.

Minor, Julio, Beachy, Wood are my top 4.

Not sure on the 5th.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Keith Law, who is ever in the Minor debate, said Minor was a top 15 pitcher right now.

Not sure what everyone's definition of ace is, but I think Minor is. He's not a power guy that can just shut you totally down on most nights. But he's easily in the top 20 pitchers and that is really valuable.

Tehran is still a little homer prone and his stuff can flatten out. I think he's going to need that change up or vary his curve to get to the top 10.....but no doubt the potential is there.

Best thing for the Braves would be for Medlen to rock it out at the end of the year and then flip him.

As good as the braves are right now, I still think they need a MAJOR trade in the offseason. I think they need to move Uggla because they need money for Mac and they need to replace 1 power guy for a high avg guy to balance the line up. They need to set themselves up for a competitive offer for McCann and to try to be aggressive on buying out FF, Heyward, and Minor. They might be able to extend Upton for less with his up and down year. I think the chips are Uggla, Medlen, and Kimbrel.

Braves are in a spot where they have the power....they don't have to trade any of those guys. But it is probably best to deal from the power spot instead of waiting a year or two and having to deal with multiple FA and FA to be. Somebody has to pay dearly for anyone on the team under 27, but you have to be open to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Minor does a pretty damn good job of shutting teams down on most nights. He's really good, and really underrated.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogi44 View Post
    More impressive than the Braves streak, is this board's. The GDT beat it's division rival with a score of 470-1!!

Am enjoying the discussion, the other place has been turned into a complete wasteland.
    "This is a very satisfying season for sure. Jerry Starke has stepped down here so if anyone is interested in doing game threads contact him before he completely sheds himself of all his responsibilities here.Let's give him due for attempting to bring everyone some info and game threads. I will be around for a short whie until someone else takes his place."

aka, Until I make a new username.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    In the NL it's really been Harvey and Kershaw better than everyone else and in a league of their own.

Minor fits in that level right below them with the next grouping of pitchers (There's 10 who have pitched fairly similarly). So it's extremely accurate to say that this season Minor has pitched like an ace. Certainly he's a top 12 NL pitcher.
    thank you weso1!

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    This. Not that I'm eager to trade Medlen, but given the "it takes quality to get quality" old saw, I'd love to see the system restocked.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnAdcox For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (08-07-2013)