Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Nikki Haley To Call For Confederate Flag To Be Removed From South Carolina Capitol:

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    Its the representation of the symbol he is referring to.

There is no Freedom of Speech in this country and you know that. It only extends to certain areas of speech.

Let me say this...if you came to me and call me the N word, I would knock your head off, you will cry to the police because I hit you and you had freedom of speech to say it, but I can defend saying, it is word you shouldn't utter to my kind. So who should win, you displaying your rights of freedom of speech or my rights of doing my freedom of speech to knock you the eff out for disrespecting me? I will win because being intelligent when speaking or spoken to is what the government is trying to convey and as a country we really suck at it. This is why we have this rule.

Oh, I wouldn't hit you if you said it. I would give you a look of "come on, you are better than that" look. And I have been called the "N" word a lot in my lifetime and no one has died because of it......yet. Or even assaulted. Sav calls me an angry old man, in life, I am the opposite, loud yes, opinionated yes, but that is the Chicago-born in me. My CEO brother and my sisters are several times more violent than I am.

You'd lose. sturg calling you a word doesn't give you the right to assault him.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Krgrecw For This Useful Post:

Runnin (07-09-2015)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Had a rare opportunity to see Lee play as part of Emmylou Harris' touring band back in the mid-1970s. Phenomenal guitarist.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

57Brave (07-09-2015)

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    You'd lose. sturg calling you a word doesn't give you the right to assault him.
    Ha ha, with our PC system, I highly doubt it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    sadly that event turned into a "debate" about flags instead of guns and mental health and watching and arresting hate groups etc
    and so it goes

http://www.thenation.com/article/con...ng-rights-act/

///

So much of the political discussion following the massacre in Charleston has focused on the hateful symbol of the Confederate flag. But racism—and race-based efforts to control the political process—go much deeper than symbolism, which is why the VRA has been so important historically and remains vital today. “You don’t fully end the issue of racism,” Leahy said, “so long as you’re able to block classes of people from voting.”

As well as Weapon Reform, addressing mental health issues and stemming white hate groups.
    Anything meaning ful will have to be legislated
    Last edited by 57Brave; 07-09-2015 at 01:56 PM.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    57, if this flag is so evil where is all this racism in SC? I didn't see any riots where blacks were talking about how unfairly they are treated like we've seen recently in other states that don't have a racist flag flying?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    first off I don't see the flag as evil. It is just a piece of cloth with a symbol stitched in it. However I do see the intent of the fliers and the stigma attached to the flag as purposely insulting and intimidating.
    I'm reminded of an NEA sponsored art exhibit a few years back where an artist showed a crucifix in a glass of urine. Many of the same defenders of the flying of the flag were outraged at the art exhibit. Personally, I don't see a crucifix in urine as either art or a profound statement so don't confuse me with defending such a childish display. I can understand where some Christians would be insulted over a crucifix in urine. As well as I understand 30% of the population insulted, intimidated and reminded of a heritage where the flag was the banner used to inspire soldiers to fight to their death to preserve their ancestors enslavement.
    I actually see more evil in those defending flying the flag than just the flag itself

my best guess would be you are comparing a rural state like SC or even the city of Charleston to a major metropolitan area - Baltimore .
    2 totally different day to day experiences

why not compare the Chicago Bulls to the Chicago Bears

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Is the Washington Redskins next? The Washington Natives?