Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6/23/2015 MINORS THREAD TUESDAY ... All-Star Gaemes... Smith: Alex with an 'M'

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

6/23/2015 MINORS THREAD TUESDAY ... All-Star Gaemes... Smith: Alex with an 'M'

From MiLB.com:

Mallex Smith, acquired from San Diego in the Justin Upton trade over the winter, got some high praise during Spring Training with the Atlanta Braves.
    Hitting coach Kevin Seitzer likened the young center fielder to former Major League standout Kenny Lofton after seeing him lay down some bunts, and Braves director of baseball operations John Hart seconded that thought. As lofty as those comparisons were, though, it may have shortchanged Smith a little in the speed department. Asked to compare the now 22-year-old Mississippi Braves player to the top Major League speedsters of today, Fredi Gonzalez put him at or near the top.
    "Oh, it's right up there," the Braves manager said of the*organization's No. 15 prospect. "Billy Hamilton-type speed, maybe just a tad below. I was really impressed. His speed is there with Hamilton, Dee Gordon."
    Smith, who led the Minors with 88 stolen bases last year in Class A, has had to go through a bit of a learning curve on the bases in Double-A. That doesn't mean, though, that his speed isn't paying off. Taking advantage of the bunting ability that impressed Seitzer and Hart, Smith went into Memorial Day leading the Southern League with a .348 batting average.
    "I lay down at least one bunt every series," the left-handed batter said. "It works two ways. It's hard to throw me out, so they have to play in. Then when they do, I can hit it by them."
    Smith, who took over the Southern League batting lead by going 9-for-15 in a five-game stretch, has only seven extra-base hits, but a single or walk can quickly turn into much more. His on-base percentage was .395 and he had scored 23 runs and driven in 16. Maybe too eager to match last season's steals total, Smith in the first four weeks of the season was picked off six times -- twice on Opening Night. Catchers, though, have caught him stealing just twice in 17 attempts. He is 8-for-10 on steals of second base and 7-for-7 going to third.
    "I'm getting back in the groove now," said Smith, who had seven stolen bases in his past five games. "The pickoffs affected me for a while. I lost my confidence a little bit, but now it's back."
    Confidence is something in which the 5-foo-9 native of Tallahassee, Florida, isn't usually lacking. A defensive back in high school, Smith once thought his future was in football. But the college offers he had hoped for didn't materialize, and he headed to Santa Fe Community College to play baseball.
    "I didn't choose baseball -- baseball chose me," said Smith, who was taken in the fifth round of the 2012 Draft by the Padres after stealing 37 bases as a freshman and was given an over-slot bonus of $375,000.
    Smith hit a combined .310 last season for Class A Fort Wayne and Class A Advanced Lancaster while running wild on the bases, then hit .305 in the Arizona Fall League. The Braves loved his speed and made sure he was included as part of the Upton deal.
    "To be traded by the Padres was a surprise," he said. "But I grew up a Braves fan, and the more I thought about everything, it seemed like a good opportunity."
    Smith was 4-for-11 with a triple and stole two bases in three attempts during eight Grapefruit League games with the Braves, putting his speed on display of the whole organization.
    "He just needs games to kind of polish him off," Gonzalez said. "The tools are there, and he's certainly not shy to go get balls in center field. We saw that in Spring Training. We had to tell him he's not the only one out there. There are two more guys, one to his right and one to his left."
    Unless he is sidetracked, one day Smith will become the first Major Leaguer named Mallex. Where did that name come from anyway?
    "Everyone in my family has a first name starting with 'M'," Smith said. "But there was a smart kid in our apartments named Alex. My mom liked his name. So I became Mallex. I'm Alex with an 'M'."

THURSDAY SCORES

ALL TIMES EDT

CLASS AAA

Gwinnett 6, Indianapolis 3

SP: Marimon 4 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 1 K.
    WP: Brigham (1-0) 4 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 5 K. (AAA debut for '15)
    Bethancourt 2-4, R, 2 RBI; M. Jones 2-3, 2B, R, RBI; Peraza 2-5, 2B, R; EYJ 2-4, 2B, 3 R; Castro 1-4.

CLASS AA

North All-Stars 9, South All-Stars 0

SOUTH: M. Smith 1-3, K.

ADVANCED CLASS A

Cal League 3, Carolina League 1 (4th)

Camargo 0-1.

CLASS A

North All-Stars 7, South All-Stars 5

Beech (Loss) 1 IP, 2 H, 0 ER(2R), O BB, K.
    Kinnan 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K.
    SOUTH: Albies 0-2, K; Edgerton 0-2, K; Daris 1-2, 2B, RBI.

SHORT-SEASON

GCL Braves 8, GCL Yankees 7 (10)

Ellison GWRBI hit.
    SP: Avalos 0.2 IP, 2 H, 5 ER, 2 BB, 1 K.
    WP: Orozco (1-0) 3 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K.
    Acuna 3-4, 4 R, 2B, 3B, 1 RBI, BB, 2 SB; Ellison 3-5, 2B, 3 RBI; Salazar 3-6, R, RBI: Riley 0-3, R, 2 K.

Danville 9, Pulaski 6

Six stolen bases for Braves.
    SP: Weigel 2 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 K.
    Wp: Stiffler (1-0) 2 IP, 3 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 3 K.
    Moore 2 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 3 K.
    Roney (Save, 1) 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K.
    Hoekstra 1-5, 3B, RBI, SB; Gaylor 1-3, 3B, 3 R, SAC, SB; L. Baez 2-5, 2B, R, SB, 3 K; Dykstra 1-4, 2B, 2 R, 2 RBI, SB.

DSL Tigers 4, DSL Braves 3

Braves led 3-0.
    SP: F. Sanchez 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K.
    LP: Moreno (0-1) 1 IP, 1 H, 0 ER(1R), 0 BB, 1 K.
    Ventura 2-4, SB (16); Olmos 1-3, 2B; Michael 1-4, R.
    Last edited by rico43; 06-23-2015 at 11:11 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

buck75 (06-23-2015), JohnAdcox (06-23-2015), thethe (06-23-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Say what you will about his power but I'm salivating over a guy with that speed with a potential OBP over 370 at the major league level.
    Natural Immunity Croc

4. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (06-23-2015)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I like Mallex....which is why I don't get the Peraza to CF experiment.

Put Peraza at 3B and have a great fielding infield. CF is Smith or Maybin. I know there is no power at 3B then, but it's not like we ever got that from CJ. We just have to hope in a couple of years that Rio Ruiz lives up to his prospect rating, D Peterson moves to 3B and can play it, or we get a trade for a long term 3B. Chipper ain't walking through that door.

Peterson
    Maybin-LF
    FF
    FA catcher-as much as it pains me to think of the cost and likely downside of the 30 y/o catcher
    Markakis
    Simmons
    Mallex
    Pitcher
    Peraza

Should be great on D. High OBP. team will slug about 0.350. Chicks dig the single, steal, walk, single.

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Say what you will about his power but I'm salivating over a guy with that speed with a potential OBP over 370 at the major league level.
    Ditto. I’m telling you, an outfield of Markakis, Smith, and Maybin will create a lot of havoc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I like Mallex....which is why I don't get the Peraza to CF experiment.

Put Peraza at 3B and have a great fielding infield. CF is Smith or Maybin. I know there is no power at 3B then, but it's not like we ever got that from CJ. We just have to hope in a couple of years that Rio Ruiz lives up to his prospect rating, D Peterson moves to 3B and can play it, or we get a trade for a long term 3B. Chipper ain't walking through that door.

Peterson
    Maybin-LF
    FF
    FA catcher-as much as it pains me to think of the cost and likely downside of the 30 y/o catcher
    Markakis
    Simmons
    Mallex
    Pitcher
    Peraza

Should be great on D. High OBP. team will slug about 0.350. Chicks dig the single, steal, walk, single.
    Under that scenario, I’d move Maybin to right and improve the defense all around.

Any worry about Peraza’s arm at 3rd? If so, I’m fine with Uribe and Kelly until something better emerges. That lets us focus on the pen and catcher.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnAdcox View Post
    Under that scenario, I’d move Maybin to right and improve the defense all around.

Any worry about Peraza’s arm at 3rd? If so, I’m fine with Uribe and Kelly until something better emerges. That lets us focus on the pen and catcher.
    For the time being, yes, that is fine. But in the near future, to be on a championship level, I think it's safe to say that the Braves will not look to employ 3 light hitting outfielders. A balanced offense will require at least one, if not both of those corner outfielders to have some pop. Maybin has very little punch (what, 11 extra base hits on the season?) but has been productive compared to the disaster of BJ. I would be surprised if the Braves ever consider having Mallex and Maybin in the same outfield because their value is mostly as CFers. I like what Maybin has been able to do this season, but I'm not really on board with him having a future with ATL.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    For the time being, yes, that is fine. But in the near future, to be on a championship level, I think it's safe to say that the Braves will not look to employ 3 light hitting outfielders. A balanced offense will require at least one, if not both of those corner outfielders to have some pop. Maybin has very little punch (what, 11 extra base hits on the season?) but has been productive compared to the disaster of BJ. I would be surprised if the Braves ever consider having Mallex and Maybin in the same outfield because their value is mostly as CFers. I like what Maybin has been able to do this season, but I'm not really on board with him having a future with ATL.
    Maybe, but given the likely price and potential candidates, and the surprising production of the offense this year, I’d like to see what some speed can do, and concentrate on catcher and pen, or maybe even an ace (although I admit the latter is hard to defend).

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    A target for 3B could be Baez from the Cubs. Their IF seems to be set for the next 5 years with Bryant/Russell/Castro/Rizzo (an insanely talented group, by the way), and Baez struggled in his taste of MLB action last year. He is still an all star talent with elite RHed power, albeit with a lot of swing and miss (25% K rate), but he would pair nicely with Freeman in the middle of the lineup.

What would it take to get him? Probably Shelby or Teheran or Wood plus another good prospect or two. It will be a steep price to pay, but some of the electric arms have to be used to bring in positional talent at some point. Might as well go after a guy that has the potential to be a true impact player.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 06-23-2015 at 12:39 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    A target for 3B could be Baez from the Cubs. Their IF seems to be set for the next 5 years with Bryant/Russell/Castro/Rizzo (an insanely talented group, by the way), and Baez struggled in his taste of MLB action last year. He is still an all star talent with elite RHed power, albeit with a lot of swing and miss (25% K rate), but he would pair nicely with Freeman in the middle of the lineup.

What would it take to get him? Probably Shelby or Teheran or Wood plus another good prospect or two. It will be a steep price to pay, but some of the electric arms have to be used to bring in positional talent at some point. Might as well go after a guy that has the potential to be a true impact player.
    25% K rate? His career stats say 95 Ks in 213 at bats. More like 45%.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Stay away from Baez. Guy won't make enough contact to stay in the league.
    Natural Immunity Croc

13. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (06-24-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts

No way am I giving up anything close to that for Baez. He's an intriguing prospect, but he's nowhere near good enough to warrant a very good MLB SP plus 1-2 good prospects. I probably wouldn't even give up something like Folty + Dustin Peterson for him.

He has crazy power, but he struck out 42% of the time in his first MLB look. He's a huge risk.

In terms of our overall offense, I'm far more concerned with just putting quality hitters at every spot than I am with power in certain spots, speed in others, etc. If Maybin keeps doing what he's doing, I'd be more than fine with him in RF. If you can get .350+ OBP with either power or speed from pretty much every spot in your lineup, your offense will be good enough.

And we have some guys coming through, in Davidson, Ruiz, and Peterson, who have some pop, so I'm fine with Maybin/Smith/Markakis in the OF for a year or two.
    Last edited by smootness; 06-23-2015 at 01:01 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (06-24-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    There is too much fascination with power. First and foremost we need good hitters.
    Natural Immunity Croc

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (06-23-2015), JohnAdcox (06-24-2015)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts

You forgot La Stella.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    This Ronald Acuna guy looks like a pretty damn good ball player! 3-4, 3B, 2B, BB, HBP, 2 SB(3)
    Last edited by Jay212033; 06-23-2015 at 02:44 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    25% K rate? His career stats say 95 Ks in 213 at bats. More like 45%.
    First of all, you use PAs as the denominator for K rate, so his MLB rate is 41%. His MiLB K rate is 25%, and has been pretty steady. Your point is still valid though, which is why he was sent back down to AAA. He was only 21 during his MLB stint, and despite the insane K rate he posted a BB rate of 6.5% (in line with his MiLB rate) and an isoSLG of .155 (within earshot of his MiLB iso) with good HR ability. A guy like Baez might do very well under the tutelage of Mr. Seitzer.

I'm not saying Baez is THE target to go after, but he is the TYPE of target the Braves need to be going for when they finally trade some of this pitching: young, controllable, RHed impact hitter, OF or 3B, all star (role 6/7) potential. Not many of those are available (ever), so I'm not sure how else folks expect the Braves to acquire that type of talent.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 06-23-2015 at 03:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    First of all, you use PAs as the denominator for K rate, so his MLB rate is 41%. His MiLB K rate is 25%, and has been pretty steady. Your point is still valid though, which is why he was sent back down to AAA. He was only 21 during his MLB stint, and despite the insane K rate he posted a BB rate of 6.5% (in line with his MiLB rate) and an isoSLG of .155 (within earshot of his MiLB iso) with good HR ability. A guy like Baez might do very well under the tutelage of Mr. Seitzer.

I'm not saying Baez is THE target to go after, but he is the TYPE of target the Braves need to be going for when they finally trade some of this pitching: young, controllable, RHed impact hitter, OF or 3B, all star (role 6/7) potential. Not many of those are available (ever), so I'm not sure how else folks expect the Braves to acquire that type of talent.
    He's not a guy I'd give up the farm for. If he's jammed and we can make a good deal, great. But I'm not trading anything close to the package mentioned above.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Go GCL Braves! 9 hits from the 1-2-3 guys in the order (Acuna, Salazar, Ellison). 2 RBIs for Yepez.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts

I'm fine with trying to go after that talent, just not at the expense of what you suggested. If you're willing to trade Wood/Miller plus 1-2 good prospects, you can get someone with similar talent who has actually proven themselves already.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Go GCL Braves! 9 hits from the 1-2-3 guys in the order (Acuna, Salazar, Ellison). 2 RBIs for Yepez.
    Ellison was supposed to one of those later round picks that had a high ceiling right?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Ellison was supposed to one of those later round picks that had a high ceiling right?
    Yes, he was our 12th rounder from a JUCO I think. I'm pretty sure he had two hits yesterday, too.