Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6/28/2015 MINORS SUNDAY: Danville loses 1-hitter; Toussaint Debuts! Janas article

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

6/28/2015 MINORS SUNDAY: Danville loses 1-hitter; Toussaint Debuts! Janas article

Janas Leaves Bus Wreck Behind; Season Back on Track
    FRom MiLB

Steve Janas walked away from an accident six weeks ago that could have been much worse. On Saturday night, it was business as usual for the right-hander. The Braves' No. 29 prospect gave up three hits over five scoreless innings as Class A Advanced Carolina defeated Myrtle Beach, 4-3, at Five County Stadium.
    Janas (5-0), walked two, struck out one and hit a batter in his first start since May 6. The 23-year-old right-hander threw 43 of 66 pitches for strikes, getting six ground-ball outs and six flyouts.
    "I would say throwing strikes, but I walked a couple and hit a guy," Janas said. "For the most part, I was trying to attack guys and give them a chance to get themselves out. I didn't think I was as sharp as I was before with my fastball command."
    Janas was on the Mudcats bus that was involved in an accident on May 13. The Georgia native was just happy to be back with his teammates.
    "It was great," he said. "Got into town Wednesday night, the last day of the All-Star break, and got to hang out with some of the guys. Just being in the clubhouse with the guys was a lot better than being in the clubhouse, rehabbing in Orlando.
    "It was unfortunate that the bus crashed like that. I just tried to make the best of it. Things like that happen."
    In the midst of his best season as a pro, Janas said he felt no frustration for the missed time.
    "I didn't look at it as being frustrated. I would say I was happy that everyone was able to walk away," he said. "I was thinking we had some people really messed up that might not be able to walk away from it."
    Janas has given up only two runs over 37 innings for a 0.49 ERA that would lead the Carolina League if he pitched enough to qualify. He's limited opponents to a .146 batting average and has recorded 24 strikeouts against only four walks.
    "My pitching coach in Rome last year, Gabe Luckert, helped me develop a cutter," the 2013 sixth-round Draft pick said. "I'll give a lot of credit to that, but I think my fastball command is much better this year. It makes all my off-speed pitches effective. I'll say the cutter and the fastball command have come a long way. I really started throwing [the cutter] a couple of weeks after the All-Star break last year. It was a new pitch, so I didn't use it that much. I've got a lot more confidence with that now."
    After a lengthy rain delay, Caleb Dirks walked one and struck out one in a hitless ninth to earn his first save. Braves No. 17 prospect Dustin Peterson was 2-for-4 with an RBI, while Connor Lien reached base three times and scored twice for the Mudcats.

SUNDAY'S SCHEDULE

ALL TIMES EDT

CLASS AAA

Pawtucket 3, Gwinnett 2 (11)

SP: G. Smith 5 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5.
    Marimon 0.1 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 0 K.
    LP: Fisher (1-3) 1.2 IP 1, H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 2 K.
    M. Smith 0-5, 2 K; Peraza 2-5, R, SB; Bethancourt 2-3, RBI, SB; EYJ 1-4, R, RBI, SB (9th).

CLASS AA

Mississippi 3, Pensacola 1

SP: Jenkins 5.1 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 5 BB, 6 K.
    WP: A. Robinson (4-1) 1.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K.
    Vizcaino 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K.
    T. Jones (Save, 8) 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K.
    Landoni 2-3, 3B, 2 RBI; Lipka 1-3, R, SB.

ADVANCED CLASS A

Potomac 3, Carolina 1

LP: Webster (3-4) 7 IP, 10 H, 3 ER, 0 BB, 1 K.
    Curcio 1-4, 2B; Briceno 2-4, SB; D. Peterson 1-4, 2B, R.

CLASS A

Rome 6, Augusta 4

SP: Toussaint 4.1 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 5 BB, 5 K, 2 WP, 2 HBP. (88 pitches)
    WP: Gonzalez (3-3) 2.2 IP, 3 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 1 K.
    Emmons (Save, 1) 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K.
    Albies 2-4, R (.325); Davidson 1-3, 2B, R, RBI; Murphy 2-3, 2B, R, RBI; Oliver 2-3, RBI.

SHORT-SEASON

Greeneville 1, Danville 0

SP: Weigel 4 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K.
    Roney 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K.
    LP: Cordero (0-1) 2 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 1 K.
    Joint no-hitter into 7th; Codero (3rd pitcher) gives up hit, unearned run.
    Hoekstra 1-3, 3B; Estevez 1-3.

GCL Braves, DSL Braves idle.

MOVES: Closers are on the move: In addition to Ryan Kelly reaching the big leagues, Dave Peterson has moved from Carolina to Mississippi
    RHP Cole Brocker has been released. Indy league pickup has played at three levels this year, but had a 5.14 ERA in 10 total appearances, allowing 20 hits in 14 innings, although he had 15 strikeouts and just three walks. He had no record but picked up two saves for Carolina.
    Franklin Azuaje, a Venezuelean, has been moved from GCL hell to Danville. Career .296 hitter in two short seasons.
    Last edited by rico43; 06-28-2015 at 08:52 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (06-28-2015), buck75 (06-29-2015), DaneHill (06-28-2015), JohnAdcox (06-28-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Strong start by Greg Smith in Gwinnett. Considering the constant shuttle between AAA and the major league team, it is surprising he has yet to be given an opportunity.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Touki is all over the place. He reminds me of Mauricio Cabrera right now! Big arm but has no clue where it's going

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Strong start by Greg Smith in Gwinnett. Considering the constant shuttle between AAA and the major league team, it is surprising he has yet to be given an opportunity.
    My guess is it's his stuff, I don't think they're sold on it for MLB. When I last watched him he did well but his fastball sat 85-86 mph a lot, more 85 mph fastballs too and topped out at 88 mph (rarely).

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    Touki is all over the place. He reminds me of Mauricio Cabrera right now! Big arm but has no clue where it's going
    Hey Jay. I didn't get that. He's Cabrera like in stuff but his secondary pitches are better at the same stage. Yes. He was all over the place though.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    Hey Jay. I didn't get that. He's Cabrera like in stuff but his secondary pitches are better at the same stage. Yes. He was all over the place though.
    His secondary stuff flashed plus just like Cabrera's. His FB is not easy gas like Cabrera's but they're similar because they both have good stuff but have no clue where it's going.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jay212033 For This Useful Post:

thethe (06-28-2015)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Janas Leaves Bus Wreck Behind; Season Back on Track
    FRom MiLB

Steve Janas walked away from an accident six weeks ago that could have been much worse. On Saturday night, it was business as usual for the right-hander. The Braves' No. 29 prospect gave up three hits over five scoreless innings as Class A Advanced Carolina defeated Myrtle Beach, 4-3, at Five County Stadium.
    Janas (5-0), walked two, struck out one and hit a batter in his first start since May 6. The 23-year-old right-hander threw 43 of 66 pitches for strikes, getting six ground-ball outs and six flyouts.
    "I would say throwing strikes, but I walked a couple and hit a guy," Janas said. "For the most part, I was trying to attack guys and give them a chance to get themselves out. I didn't think I was as sharp as I was before with my fastball command."
    Janas was on the Mudcats bus that was involved in an accident on May 13. The Georgia native was just happy to be back with his teammates.
    "It was great," he said. "Got into town Wednesday night, the last day of the All-Star break, and got to hang out with some of the guys. Just being in the clubhouse with the guys was a lot better than being in the clubhouse, rehabbing in Orlando.
    "It was unfortunate that the bus crashed like that. I just tried to make the best of it. Things like that happen."
    In the midst of his best season as a pro, Janas said he felt no frustration for the missed time.
    "I didn't look at it as being frustrated. I would say I was happy that everyone was able to walk away," he said. "I was thinking we had some people really messed up that might not be able to walk away from it."
    Janas has given up only two runs over 37 innings for a 0.49 ERA that would lead the Carolina League if he pitched enough to qualify. He's limited opponents to a .146 batting average and has recorded 24 strikeouts against only four walks.
    "My pitching coach in Rome last year, Gabe Luckert, helped me develop a cutter," the 2013 sixth-round Draft pick said. "I'll give a lot of credit to that, but I think my fastball command is much better this year. It makes all my off-speed pitches effective. I'll say the cutter and the fastball command have come a long way. I really started throwing [the cutter] a couple of weeks after the All-Star break last year. It was a new pitch, so I didn't use it that much. I've got a lot more confidence with that now."
    After a lengthy rain delay, Caleb Dirks walked one and struck out one in a hitless ninth to earn his first save. Braves No. 17 prospect Dustin Peterson was 2-for-4 with an RBI, while Connor Lien reached base three times and scored twice for the Mudcats.

SUNDAY'S SCHEDULE

ALL TIMES EDT

CLASS AAA

Pawtucket 3, Gwinnett 2 (11)

SP: G. Smith 5 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5.
    Marimon 0.1 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 0 K.
    LP: Fisher (1-3) 1.2 IP 1, H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 2 K.
    M. Smith 0-5, 2 K; Peraza 2-5, R, SB; Bethancourt 2-3, RBI, SB; EYJ 1-4, R, RBI, SB (9th).

CLASS AA

Pensacola @ Mississippi (34-37), 6:00

SP: Jenkins (4-5).

ADVANCED CLASS A

Carolina (37-35) @ Potomac, 6:05

SP: Webster (3-3).

CLASS A

Rome 6, Augusta 4 (8th)

SP: Toussaint 4.1 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 5 BB, 5 K, 2 WP, 2 HBP. (88 pitches)
    Albies 2-4, R (.325); Davidson 1-3, 2B, R, RBI; Murphy 2-3, 2B, R, RBI; Oliver 2-3, RBI.

SHORT-SEASON

Greeneville 1, Danville 0

SP: Weigel 4 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K.
    Roney 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K.
    LP: Cordero (0-1) 2 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 1 K.
    Joint no-hitter into 7th; Codero (3rd pitcher) gives up hit, unearned run.
    Hoekstra 1-3, 3B; Estevez 1-3.

GCL Braves, DSL Braves idle.

MOVES: Closers are on the move: In addition to Ryan Kelly reaching the big leagues, Dave Peterson has moved from Carolina to Mississippi
    RHP Cole Brocker has been released. Indy league pickup has played at three levels this year, but had a 5.14 ERA in 10 total appearances, allowing 20 hits in 14 innings, although he had 15 strikeouts and just three walks. He had no record but picked up two saves for Carolina.
    Franklin Azuaje, a Venezuelean, has been moved from GCL hell to Danville. Career .296 hitter in two short seasons.
    He was doing fairly well in the GCL before getting injured last season. I think they are high on him. Lord knows we could use more 3B prospects.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    He was doing fairly well in the GCL before getting injured last season. I think they are high on him. Lord knows we could use more 3B prospects.
    And the hitting in Danville is atrocious! They need all the help they can get!

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Man the hitting throughout the system right now SUCKS!

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    His secondary stuff flashed plus just like Cabrera's. His FB is not easy gas like Cabrera's but they're similar because they both have good stuff but have no clue where it's going.
    I can only talk about what I've seen, but I've seen Cabrera since rookie ball. He's always been a Fastball-slider guy, mostly fastball. His changeup is/was below average (to me). They both have electric who knows where it'll go fastballs, but I think the D-backs did him a huge disservice by having him shelve his CB. I don't care how good it is, he needs to continue to harness it's potential.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Went to the Rome game today. Touki looked about as expected...good stuff and great curve (he only started throwing it in the 4th) but needs serious work on his command. Interestingly, his fastball was only sitting 90-92.

Albies and Davidson both look the part; Albies in particular looks like a bonafide stud.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Vizcaino just struckout the side in the 8th for Mississippi after the first batter reached on an error by the shortstop. I was watching it but missed all three strikeouts as I lost the feed after mid-way through second AB. I'll try to review the inning in full after they archive the game later.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

Garmel (06-28-2015), thethe (06-28-2015)

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    what happened to Jordan Paroubeck?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    I just watched that full 8th inning by Vizcaino to see the three K's by him, each K he got to two strikes with his fastball and struckout each with off-speed pitches. The last one was a really nasty curveball that broke low and inside. No chance to hit that pitch at all. He got the first two strikeouts on lessor pitches, first one was up in the zone but batter caught looking for the fastball. The second one was better and dropped in right on the outside corner.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

Garmel (06-28-2015), Julio3000 (06-28-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Is Toscano ever going to play??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Is Toscano ever going to play??
    Jordan Paroubeck and he are starting their own league, Barry Bonds is coaching and providing PED's if either wants some. :)

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (06-28-2015), zbhargrove (06-28-2015)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    I just watched that full 8th inning by Vizcaino to see the three K's by him, each K he got to two strikes with his fastball and struckout each with off-speed pitches. The last one was a really nasty curveball that broke low and inside. No chance to hit that pitch at all. He got the first two strikeouts on lessor pitches, first one was up in the zone but batter caught looking for the fastball. The second one was better and dropped in right on the outside corner.
    I've been skeptical of Viz--admittedly without any real reason--but I've been encouraged by how he seems to be bringing it now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I've been skeptical of Viz--admittedly without any real reason--but I've been encouraged by how he seems to be bringing it now.
    The suspension may have been a good thing for him... a wake up call. And it gave him more time to just keep getting stronger.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (06-28-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,324 Posts
    Speaking of wake up calls, Bethancourt is hitting very well at Gwinnett right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    Speaking of wake up calls, Bethancourt is hitting very well at Gwinnett right now.
    Not surprising. Bethancourt has a history of being a slow starter on his first round of a level, and when he repeats it, his numbers kick up. I'm curious to see if he will use his second stint at the big league level as his second round.