Thread: Masset, Eveland DFA'd. Viz, Carpenter called up.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts

Masset, Eveland DFA'd. Viz, Carpenter called up.

That was quick lol

Mark BowmanVerified account
    ‏@mlbbowman
    Masset and Eveland were DFA'd. Carpenter and Vizcaino are coming up.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

FreemanFan (07-06-2015), JohnAdcox (07-06-2015), yeezus (07-06-2015)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Three Johns Kick Back!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

drewdat (07-05-2015), The Chosen One (07-05-2015)

Playing the Waiting Game keithlaw's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    294 Posts
    I thought Nick would prove to be a valuable Masset, but I was wrong.

6. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to keithlaw For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (07-05-2015), CrimsonCowboy (07-05-2015), FreemanFan (07-06-2015), Freshmaker (07-06-2015), gamecock4braves (07-05-2015), Hawk (07-05-2015), JohnAdcox (07-06-2015), Julio3000 (07-05-2015), nsacpi (07-05-2015), sturg33 (07-05-2015), Tapate50 (07-05-2015), The Chosen One (07-05-2015), thethe (07-06-2015), TomahawkCult (07-05-2015), UNCBlue012 (07-06-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Good to see these moves, we might actually have a decent bullpen now if both Viz and Carpenter do well. Carpenter had been doing great for Gwinnett and has MLB experience with the Angels. He really earned this call-up.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-06-2015)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    I worry that the stripes of Freddies whip are going to show soon on the rumps of Johnson, Avilan and Grilli. If they were horses Peta would be going nuts. Since they are three of the top trade chips I would be one p*ssed off GM in watching how Freddie is using (abusing) those guys.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    I worry that the stripes of Freddies whip are going to show soon on the rumps of Johnson, Avilan and Grilli. If they were horses Peta would be going nuts. Since they are three of the top trade chips I would be one p*ssed off GM in watching how Freddie is using (abusing) those guys.
    Hopefully we trade them all before Fredi breaks them. :)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    They arent over-used over anyone else.

Stl has three in the top 10 in games pitched of RP's.

Mil has 5 in the top 40 of RP's.

SF has 4, who EVERYONE praises Bochy for.

I can get bashing Fredi but i disagree here, Harry.

All managers use their best RP's to secure wins, its common.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Wonder if Greg Smith will ever be given a shot.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by keithlaw View Post
    I can't Eveland.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

Freshmaker (07-06-2015), gamecock4braves (07-05-2015), Hawk (07-05-2015), JohnAdcox (07-06-2015), keithlaw (07-05-2015), thethe (07-06-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Wonder if Greg Smith will ever be given a shot.
    Well, Carpenter being given a shot might be a good sign for Smith since neither wow anyone with the radar gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    Hell! Who else does he have to use? There would be something wrong if he wasn't using his only effective pitchers, and with Avilan, that effectiveness is inconsistent at best.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    Hell! Who else does he have to use? There would be something wrong if he wasn't using his only effective pitchers, and with Avilan, that effectiveness is inconsistent at best.
    Their value is in their trade value. Not saving or holding a victory in effort to finish .500.

Pitch them, sure. But keep them on plenty of rest and see if you can develop a pen for when these guys are gone, which they will be soon enough. If that means you lose a game here or there that you might have won otherwise, so much the better at this point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    Their value is in their trade value. Not saving or holding a victory in effort to finish .500.

Pitch them, sure. But keep them on plenty of rest and see if you can develop a pen for when these guys are gone, which they will be soon enough. If that means you lose a game here or there that you might have won otherwise, so much the better at this point.
    To you, maybe. To EVERY MANAGER in baseball, they aren't going to give up wins just to keep a player's value high.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Then he has no vision and no management from above.

There comes a time when the bigger picture takes precedent. When the Braves started there rebuild they signaled what the bigger picture was.

Staggering around all season, wearing out arms and designations in effort to fall over the .500 line on the last day is just stupid in the big picture. That is especially true since the rules for rebuilding teams favor those with the worst record: Draft, rule 5, International, waivers, etc.etc.

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by keithlaw View Post
    Yeah, he was a total Masset Hound.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JohnAdcox For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (07-06-2015), Julio3000 (07-06-2015), keithlaw (07-06-2015), UNCBlue012 (07-06-2015)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts

you're basically saying winning doesn't matter. that's the worst message anyone can give.

The front office needs to build for the future, but the guy on the field needs to play to win, every night.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stpeteirish View Post
    you're basically saying winning doesn't matter. that's the worst message anyone can give.

The front office needs to build for the future, but the guy on the field needs to play to win, every night.
    No, I'm saying that winning is secondary to development and talent acquisition at this point. Every move by the front office has been made with this in mind. When the Manager is doing things, like wearing out three of the best trade chips left before the All Star break, with no realistic chance of contending for anything, then you have a break down in communication between the Manager and General Manager that needs to be addressed ASAP.

Does anyone believe that Grilli and Johnson will be here, barring injury, at the end of the season? I don't. Most don't. Then you don't take a chance on hurting them or overworking them into fatigue and diminished capability. And, at some point, you will be working with a new pen, so why not start developing some of those guys, even if it costs a game here or there short term? Chances are you will get those games back because of the experience gained by the new guys after Grilli and Johnson are gone. And if not, so what.

For this season, 70-92 would be a hell of a lot better than 81-81 anyway. They don't give out trophies or pennants in baseball for mediocre .500 teams.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    No, I'm saying that winning is secondary to development and talent acquisition at this point. Every move by the front office has been made with this in mind. When the Manager is doing things, like wearing out three of the best trade chips left before the All Star break, with no realistic chance of contending for anything, then you have a break down in communication between the Manager and General Manager that needs to be addressed ASAP.

Does anyone believe that Grilli and Johnson will be here, barring injury, at the end of the season? I don't. Most don't. Then you don't take a chance on hurting them or overworking them into fatigue and diminished capability. And, at some point, you will be working with a new pen, so why not start developing some of those guys, even if it costs a game here or there short term? Chances are you will get those games back because of the experience gained by the new guys after Grilli and Johnson are gone. And if not, so what.

For this season, 70-92 would be a hell of a lot better than 81-81 anyway. They don't give out trophies or pennants in baseball for mediocre .500 teams.

You're assuming he's been told not to pitch them so much. Not defending Fredi here any more than to say his job is to win games. If the front office wants him to preserve those arms it's on them to convey that, otherwise Fredi's simply doing what he's supposed to do in an effort to keep his job - win as many games as possible.

Until there's word that the brass is unhappy with his pen management, I see little choice other than to give Fredi the benefit of the doubt - and thus far the only complaints I've seen attributed to anyone are on message boards. I don't want him to blow them out either, but personally think if Hart wants to trade them for anything of value he needs to quit worrying so much about what to do with Chris Johnson and trade them.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

Horsehide Harry (07-06-2015), JohnAdcox (07-06-2015)

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    Well Harry, you got a good reminder yesterday what the difference is pre and post extra innings. think we should have just gone straight to Masset, Eveland and Brigham? Get the loss out of the way?

27. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

gcbraves (07-06-2015)