Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Affordable Community College

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

Affordable Community College

How many here attended - -- had a bad experience -- went on to 4 year and further

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_7743944.html

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Meh. I'm not opposed to free education, but I don't think that any sort of liberal arts curriculum should be available on the federal dime. At least initially. Trade/specialized programs, absolutely.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Meh. I'm not opposed to free education, but I don't think that any sort of liberal arts curriculum should be available on the federal dime. At least initially. Trade/specialized programs, absolutely.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Agreed. There just isn't enough well paying jobs in this market to support so many people going in this route. It should all be targeted to the fields where there are opportunities to support yourself and a family.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Agreed. There just isn't enough well paying jobs in this market to support so many people going in this route. It should all be targeted to the fields where there are opportunities to support yourself and a family.
    Everyone should be exposed to a liberal arts curriculum, even if the ultimate goal is trade training or the program is ultimately vocational in nature.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

57Brave (07-07-2015)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Agree with Hawk on this one as well.

I did do 2 years of community college (paid own way); transferred to 4-year (paid off thru student loans), now paying off Masters.

Community college is probably a large waste of time for a good number of people that would take advantage of this program as well.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Everyone should be exposed to a liberal arts curriculum, even if the ultimate goal is trade training or the program is ultimately vocational in nature.
    Hmm, impersonating Sarah Palin, two degrees from said schools and then a Bachelors from the state university. Went to a lot of schools though, Embry Riddle (NTSB), West Kentucky (Electric Engineering) and Iowa (Info Technology) were the first three and then ended up at UW (Bach in Information Technology).

Wisconsin is a great state for education, they will take any jc that is part of the state system. It is cheaper than the actual state schools, only Madison requires I think you call "acceptance". I was accepted at any university I applied for outside of Northwestern in Evanston, IL. Never bothered, but Illinois is a hard school to get into and I was accepted there as well in their technology department.

I am a NERD of the Urkel type.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Agree with Hawk on this one as well.

I did do 2 years of community college (paid own way); transferred to 4-year (paid off thru student loans), now paying off Masters.

Community college is probably a large waste of time for a good number of people that would take advantage of this program as well.
    Two semesters from getting my Masters, but meh, don't need it in my career field. I do not want to manage people any more, it is a headache.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Living in Florida the best post high school baseball is played at Community Colleges.
    Chipola will have two on the AL All-Star team.

Reading the article I gather it isn't free just for showing up - but would be free (reimbursed I'd guess) if one maintains GPA and graduation requirements.
    To me that means if you are one who goes simply as 13th grade -- it will cost.

As far as Liberal Arts -- I think it the foundation to specialization
    ///

oh yeah, did 2 trying years of CC. Like anything else, get out of it as much or as little as you like

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I agree with this -- I'm a huge proponent of truly well-rounded education ... and liberal arts has proven itself to be the foundation for one. We should be pushing this deeper at the High School level, though.

That said, if this initiative is to succeed (at least from a financial standpoint) it's going to need to produce immediate dividends vis-à-vis job creation and equipping students for immediate employment is best accomplished through specialized programs.

There are other ways to incentivize 'alternate' forms of education without making it free, such as lowering/guarding tuition rates, which might be employed in the meanwhile.

We also shouldn't forget those who have already achieved a secondary education but are saddled up to the eyeballs in student loans -- debt forgiveness is at the top of my list.
    Last edited by Hawk; 07-07-2015 at 03:00 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (07-07-2015), jpx7 (07-07-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Don't forget Hawk this is legislation being introduced by 2 (D) congress people. If it comes out at all -- worth a discussion

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Don't forget Hawk this is legislation being introduced by 2 (D) congress people. If it comes out at all -- worth a discussion
    It is. If the Democrats are able to champion college education (along with healthcare, and, really, general social progressivism) as one of 'their' achievements it would seem to bode very well for the party. You worry that Republicans then are going to do whatever it takes to derail the legislation without much consideration.
    Last edited by Hawk; 07-07-2015 at 03:02 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    It is. If the Democrats are able to champion college education (along with healthcare, and, really, general social progressivism) as one of 'their' achievements it would seem to bode very well for the party. You worry that Republicans then are going to do whatever it takes to derail the legislation without much consideration.
    In Wisconsin, they are really trying to get it affordable or free (which they prefer) for everyone but it seems there is a big fight brewing in that area....teachers pay.

We got it good already and encouraging kids to go the JC route for at least two years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    I wouldn't think it gets out of the House - at the soonest? 2022 - House as constituted now will never give it the time of day.
    However, as a campaign issue I can see it.
    I think the ratio I saw was 3-1 Federal to state funding. I can think of 30+ state legislatures where they refuse to pay for even class room / lab upgrades.

It is after all another form of the GI Bill. Would love to see some stats, now that we operate on a trimmed down volunteer service, how that has effected colleges.
    Both financially and academically

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    In Wisconsin, they are really trying to get it affordable or free (which they prefer) for everyone but it seems there is a big fight brewing in that area....teachers pay.

We got it good already and encouraging kids to go the JC route for at least two years.

My younger days if memory serves U of Wisconsin was like Berkley and U of Texas free for in state students

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    I agree with this -- I'm a huge proponent of truly well-rounded education ... and liberal arts has proven itself to be the foundation for one. We should be pushing this deeper at the High School level, though.

That said, if this initiative is to succeed (at least from a financial standpoint) it's going to need to produce immediate dividends vis-à-vis job creation and equipping students for immediate employment is best accomplished through specialized programs.

There are other ways to incentivize 'alternate' forms of education without making it free, such as lowering/guarding tuition rates, which might be employed in the meanwhile.

We also shouldn't forget those who have already achieved a secondary education but are saddled up to the eyeballs in student loans -- debt forgiveness is at the top of my list.
    I wish we do what the Germans do, in high school select your path and just do the basic classes for general education your Frosh and Soph (usually life skills - finance is the most important) years equivalent and then the latter two the career field you are interested in and if you need more, go the university route. Too many wasted classes you are force to take like Anthropology or Chemistry knowing you never going to use it in your career field, but require to take them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    I disagree on Chemistry and Anthropology.

How can having a basic working knowledge of the science Chemistry or the human history of Anthropology do anything but make one wiser ?
    Especially Chemistry -- I mean simple Sodium Chloride 2
    //

Schooling should not be all about careers. We have to many people trained for careers that can't make decisions on simple things or understand issues because they have no foundation in the subjects.

Schooling to my mind is to learn how to think. Learn how to decide
    Last edited by 57Brave; 07-07-2015 at 03:29 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    My younger days if memory serves U of Wisconsin was like Berkley and U of Texas free for in state students
    I think it was, only thing they kept the price down is the JC/Tech schools. I know plenty of people put their kids through it while their kids work and save up for Madison/Green Bay or Milwaukee tuition which aren't bad compared to other state schools.

Gov Walker is in hot water because the university schools want to raise rates while he froze and then force the tuition down in some cases and cut off their funding. Some people are like hate him and love him at the same time. He tries to do the right thing but he does it for the wrong reasons. I don't like him at all but Baldwin is worse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    I disagree on Chemistry and Anthropology.

How can having a basic working knowledge of the science Chemistry or the human history of Anthropology do anything but make one wiser ?
    Especially Chemistry -- I mean simple Sodium Choloride 2
    Well, what job require you to know Anthropology (I had it and II because I was interested and it fulfilled a requirement)? Unless you are studying people and their surroundings, which the black community needs but I don't any that would do it. You do it if you like to do it. Chemistry, well some jobs require it, but knowing what salt chemical properties is not one of them. I can break down a chemical formula still at my old age (it's fun) but I can't for the life of me remember using it in my long career in programming.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    After the past couple years you don't think young white people could use a little more Anthropological knowledge ? That surprises me
    We have a chunk of the population that doubt our involvment in climate change. I tend to think a society with more understanding of chemistry would understand the issue better

It's not all about having careers.
    ///

As to what jobs would be enhanced / required by having an Anthropological background -- policing ?
    Last edited by 57Brave; 07-07-2015 at 03:45 PM.