Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: If the Padres move Kimbrel

Playing the Waiting Game Krovahn's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    They need IF help badly and young pitching is always good to have (and we have a surplus of it).

Would you trade them Peraza and Folty for Kimbrel?

I think I would.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    I'd love to have Kimbrel back...AFTER solving the LF and 3B problem going forward.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    I'd love to have Kimbrel back...AFTER solving the LF and 3B problem going forward.
    Getting Renfroe and unloading CJ in the deal would address both those issues. Move Markakis to LF next year and plug Renfroe in RF.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    Getting Renfroe and unloading CJ in the deal would address both those issues. Move Markakis to LF next year and plug Renfroe in RF.
    Plug Renfroe in RF next year? Have you seen what he's doing in AA? I'm a Mississippi State fan, so I'm a Renfroe fan, but he is a long way from the majors still, and his chances are decreasing with every month that goes by. I'd be fine taking a shot on him, but I wouldn't give up much and certainly wouldn't expect him in Atlanta before mid-2017 at the absolute earliest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Renfroe far from solves either of these issues. At this rate he won't be a good ML hitter at all.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Offer to take Kemp and Kimbrel back for CJ and a bag of magic beans (may have to actually throw in a real prospect or two).

I'm serious. You take a flyer on Kemp and his bad contract in exchange for the less bad contract of CJ, and the Pads balance the deal out by including Kimbrel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Plug Renfroe in RF next year? Have you seen what he's doing in AA? I'm a Mississippi State fan, so I'm a Renfroe fan, but he is a long way from the majors still, and his chances are decreasing with every month that goes by. I'd be fine taking a shot on him, but I wouldn't give up much and certainly wouldn't expect him in Atlanta before mid-2017 at the absolute earliest.
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    Renfroe far from solves either of these issues. At this rate he won't be a good ML hitter at all.
    Renfroe is hitting something like .333/.368/.611 over the past two weeks and is turning it around. His value is probably at the lowest it's going to be.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

Hawk (07-08-2015)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Offer to take Kemp and Kimbrel back for CJ and a bag of magic beans (may have to actually throw in a real prospect or two).

I'm serious. You take a flyer on Kemp and his bad contract in exchange for the less bad contract of CJ, and the Pads balance the deal out by including Kimbrel.
    Kemp's bad contract runs through 2019. No thanks.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DirkPiggler For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (07-08-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Renfroe is hitting something like .333/.368/.611 over the past two weeks and is turning it around. His value is probably at the lowest it's going to be.
    He's started to turn it around more than once this year only to fall back again.

He was raw even coming out of college and still has a chance to realize his potential and become something special. But that likelihood is dwindling. His most likely result as a major league hitter at this point is something like .220/.270/.420 with 200 Ks and about 20 HR.

And I wasn't even talking about down the line. I was talking about next year. He is in no way, shape, or form prepared to start in the majors next year.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

yeezus (07-08-2015)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    It's the same thing the Braves did with Arroyo with he exception that Kemp might actually turn things around and be close to the player he once was and if not that then at least better than any OF the Braves currently have or have anywhere in the system.

He's owed $86M through the end of his contract. CJ is owed $17.5M. So that makes Kemp a net $70M guy or equivalent of a $17.5M dollar outfielder. PLUS you get Kimbrel back for next to nothing who you could then turn around and trade again if you so wished.

I'm not saying it's the best option in the world. But, if you think relying on FA the next two years to fill OF holes is going to work, then you haven't looked. And the idea (and I'm not calling out anyone in particular) that the Braves will be able to move 2nd and 3rd tier pitching prospects for top end hitting is just unrealistic, especially considering that bats are scarce right now in comparison to pitching.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Slightly off topic, but I just can't stop LOLing at the fool in San Diego thinking he could light the world on fire and put together a serious WS contender in one offseason acquiring high dollar assets and gutting a deep system.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    It's the same thing the Braves did with Arroyo with he exception that Kemp might actually turn things around and be close to the player he once was and if not that then at least better than any OF the Braves currently have or have anywhere in the system.

He's owed $86M through the end of his contract. CJ is owed $17.5M. So that makes Kemp a net $70M guy or equivalent of a $17.5M dollar outfielder. PLUS you get Kimbrel back for next to nothing who you could then turn around and trade again if you so wished.

I'm not saying it's the best option in the world. But, if you think relying on FA the next two years to fill OF holes is going to work, then you haven't looked. And the idea (and I'm not calling out anyone in particular) that the Braves will be able to move 2nd and 3rd tier pitching prospects for top end hitting is just unrealistic, especially considering that bats are scarce right now in comparison to pitching.
    Uh, Kemp's contract is awful. Arroyo is gone after we buy him out, we would have to pay Kemp 4 more years. That is the difference.

And even without the money aspect, I'd rather have most old the OFs on the market than Kemp. I'm not sure you realize what Kemp is now. He is not good anymore and has been straight awful, as in below replacement level, this year. I don't know why anyone would be interested in having him on the team. Add the contract, and the Padres would be beyond thrilled if we took him off their hands.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Uh, Kemp's contract is awful. Arroyo is gone after we buy him out, we would have to pay Kemp 4 more years. That is the difference.

And even without the money aspect, I'd rather have most old the OFs on the market than Kemp. I'm not sure you realize what Kemp is now. He is not good anymore and has been straight awful, as in below replacement level, this year. I don't know why anyone would be interested in having him on the team. Add the contract, and the Padres would be beyond thrilled if we took him off their hands.
    He's 30. He had an .852 OPS last year. In Dodger Stadium and playing many other games in Giants Stadium and San Diego, all pitchers parks. Sure, he has not been good this year. But, it's not like he's 36. Keep in mind, Cam Maybin, the new flavor of the day, is coming in from that same Park under much the same situation. Yes, Kemp has a bigger contract and would be a bigger financial risk, but the reward would be bigger as well which would be Kimbrel for next to nothing.

I understand that this is out of the box thinking but I think, in context, it makes sense.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Even with his offense, Kemp posted a WAR of 1 last year, making him unbelievably overpaid. His defense is awful, and that's only going to get worse. Maybin was 27 when we traded for him and we don't plan on keeping him for more than a year or two at most. We would have Kemp for his 31-34 seasons at more than $20 million per when he's already shown significant regression at ages 28-30 and is currently way overpaid with a danger to be even more so soon.

It is extreme risk with little chance for reward. Again, I've seen the FA market, and I'll take just about all of them over Kemp.

It would go against the grain of pretty much every other move we've made and would tie up all that BJ money we just got rid of, except we'd be tied to it for even longer. We're trying to get rid of CJ for payroll flexibility, not so we can find an even worse contract to anchor us.
    Last edited by smootness; 07-08-2015 at 01:33 PM.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Even with his offense, Kemp posted a WAR of 1 last year, making him unbelievably overpaid. His defense is awful, and that's only going to get worse. Maybin was 27 when we traded for him and we don't plan on keeping him for more than a year or two at most. We would have Kemp for his 31-34 seasons at more than $20 million per when he's already shown significant regression at ages 28-30 and is currently way overpaid with a danger to be even more so soon.

It is extreme risk with little chance for reward. Again, I've seen the FA market, and I'll take just about all of them over Kemp.

It would go against the grain of pretty much every other move we've made and would tie up all that BJ money we just got rid of, except we'd be tied to it for even longer. We're trying to get rid of CJ for payroll flexibility, not so we can find an even worse contract to anchor us.
    Sure his defense sucks. But, the Braves are full of defense first players. You don't bring him in for his defense. You bring him for his bat. If you think that you can get that .800-.900 OPS from him (get him out of the big parks by and large) for the next four years while playing him in LF then it's probably worth the bad defense. You can always late inning replace him. And, as bad as his defense is, it's not like he's Gattis level bad in LF.

The 2016 FA outfielders are:
    Outfielders
    Jeff Baker
    Jose Bautista *
    Yoenis Cespedes
    Alejandro De Aza
    David DeJesus *
    Marlon Byrd *
    Rajai Davis
    Chris Denorfia
    Dexter Fowler
    Alex Gordon *
    Corey Hart
    Jason Heyward
    Torii Hunter
    Austin Jackson
    Matt Joyce
    Nate McLouth *
    David Murphy
    Gerardo Parra
    Carlos Quentin *
    Ryan Raburn
    Alex Rios *
    Cody Ross *
    Grady Sizemore
    Denard Span
    Drew Stubbs
    Ryan Sweeney
    Justin Upton
    Will Venable
    Shane Victorino
    Chris Young
    Delmon Young

The 2017 are:
    Nori Aoki
    Jose Bautista
    Carlos Beltran
    Gregor Blanco
    Peter Bourjos
    Michael Bourn *
    Jay Bruce
    Chris Coghlan
    Coco Crisp *
    Michael Cuddyer
    David DeJesus
    Sam Fuld
    Craig Gentry
    Carlos Gomez
    Alex Gordon
    Chris Heisey
    Matt Holliday *
    Jon Jay
    John Mayberry
    Cameron Maybin *
    Nate McLouth
    Logan Morrison
    Angel Pagan
    Josh Reddick
    Alex Rios
    Michael Saunders
    Jordan Schafer
    Seth Smith *
    Travis Snider
    Jose Tabata *
    Mark Trumbo

I don't see much there when you take out Heyward and Upton. And, considering the lack of bats overall, I think teams will be paying a premium for anyone approaching the "good" level in both dollars and years.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I'm not sure you realize how bad Kemp has been this year. It goes well beyond 'pitcher's park'. You just don't go get a guy OPS'ing under .700 with bad defense at age 30 owed $80 million over the next 4 years. Period.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I'm not sure you realize how bad Kemp has been this year. It goes well beyond 'pitcher's park'. You just don't go get a guy OPS'ing under .700 with bad defense at age 30 owed $80 million over the next 4 years. Period.
    I can't even believe its an option. Its far more likely that Kemp is done then it is he will have a revival.
    Natural Immunity Croc

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krovahn View Post
    They need IF help badly and young pitching is always good to have (and we have a surplus of it).

Would you trade them Peraza and Folty for Kimbrel?

I think I would.
    Never.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-08-2015), yeezus (07-08-2015)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    149 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Never.
    Me either. Folty might become Kimbrel if he can find his control.

Playing the Waiting Game Krovahn's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by buck75 View Post
    Me either. Folty might become Kimbrel if he can find his control.
    Might? It is highly doubtful; he is an extra piece who is low on the totem pole, and so is Peraza at this point with Simmons and Peterson, with Albies down lower.