Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Jeb Bush: People Need to Work Longer Hours...

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Should we be capping pay?
    Do you honestly NOT think CEOs cap the salaries of every single one of their employees? Have you never seen or been a part of a company with a salary structure? CEOs determine the pay of everyone at every level in that company and then they or upper management who want to become CEOs some day serve on boards who hire and set the salary and perk levels for CEOs. Remember your theory of relativity, if you want to really understand the whole picture you have to look at BOTH sides of it. The sturg I used to know would be willing to do that.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Oklahomahawk For This Useful Post:

zitothebrave (08-09-2015)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    Do you honestly NOT think CEOs cap the salaries of every single one of their employees? Have you never seen or been a part of a company with a salary structure? CEOs determine the pay of everyone at every level in that company and then they or upper management who want to become CEOs some day serve on boards who hire and set the salary and perk levels for CEOs. Remember your theory of relativity, if you want to really understand the whole picture you have to look at BOTH sides of it. The sturg I used to know would be willing to do that.
    Uh... what? What does that have to do with the government capping pay? For the record, the CEO doesn't usually set the pay scales... that's usually left to up to the board. Are you suggesting they shouldn't have the right to do that?

I asked a direct question. Should the government cap pay? If the answer is no, then just shut up or go start your own business. Otherwise, quit bitching about how much money someone else is paying you.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    If the answer is no, then just shut up or go start your own business. Otherwise, quit bitching about how much money someone else is paying you.
    yeah you commie
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Uh... what? What does that have to do with the government capping pay? For the record, the CEO doesn't usually set the pay scales... that's usually left to up to the board. Are you suggesting they shouldn't have the right to do that?

I asked a direct question. Should the government cap pay? If the answer is no, then just shut up or go start your own business. Otherwise, quit bitching about how much money someone else is paying you.
    There is no way that the BOD gets involved in the pay scale of over 99% of the workers in a large corporation. BOD will get involved with executive management.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    There is no way that the BOD gets involved in the pay scale of over 99% of the workers in a large corporation. BOD will get involved with executive management.
    In my experience the BOD sets the pay scale for positions. For example, associate would have a pay range of x-x, and a bonus potential of y-y. A senior associate would have a higher range, and so on and so forth. Then of course the hiring management would then need to fill those roles within those ranges.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    In my experience the BOD sets the pay scale for positions. For example, associate would have a pay range of x-x, and a bonus potential of y-y. A senior associate would have a higher range, and so on and so forth. Then of course the hiring management would then need to fill those roles within those ranges.
    Sturg, the BOD does not approve the pay of low level workers in a company. Budget are set for departments and executive committees are established in conjunction with human resources to develop a workforce within that budget and in line with market rates. The pay of the companies workers is not a business decision that concerns the BOD.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Sturg, the BOD does not approve the pay of low level workers in a company. Budget are set for departments and executive committees are established in conjunction with human resources to develop a workforce within that budget and in line with market rates. The pay of the companies workers is not a business decision that concerns the BOD.
    I'm not saying that they weigh in on individual salaries. I'm saying that they set the general pay ranges for the different positions in the company.

I am 100% certain this is the case with bonus compensation as I have personally experienced it with my company, Walmart, and Home Depot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I'm not saying that they weigh in on individual salaries. I'm saying that they set the general pay ranges for the different positions in the company.

I am 100% certain this is the case with bonus compensation as I have personally experienced it with my company, Walmart, and Home Depot
    Bonuses will be approved in pools. After the pool is established then executive management will determine how to allocate appropriately. Typically, discretionary bonus language in employment contracts is very generic which therefore provides flexibility for management to do with it what they will.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Bonuses will be approved in pools. After the pool is established then executive management will determine how to allocate appropriately.
    I think we're arguing two different things.

It really has nothing to do with the discussion as OHawk pulled a completely irrelevant example out of thin air.

But just so you know... my sales quota bonus compensation is 25% of my salary, that can accelerate to 45% if I meet certain goals. That is a BOD approved range, and is non-negotiable for someone with my title in the company.

If I get a promotion, I will have a new bonus range that is pre-approved from the BOD and is non-negotiable.

Obviously, there are bonuses like you speak of that is pooled and management can decide how that is handed out. But for my title, and my OTE, the BOD set a range that I was able to negotiate within, but now outside of.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I think we're arguing two different things.

It really has nothing to do with the discussion as OHawk pulled a completely irrelevant example out of thin air.

But just so you know... my sales quota bonus compensation is 25% of my salary, that can accelerate to 45% if I meet certain goals. That is a BOD approved range, and is non-negotiable for someone with my title in the company.

If I get a promotion, I will have a new bonus range that is pre-approved from the BOD and is non-negotiable.

Obviously, there are bonuses like you speak of that is pooled and management can decide how that is handed out. But for my title, and my OTE, the BOD set a range that I was able to negotiate within, but now outside of.
    If your job performance is tied directly to sales metrics then yes, specific bonus language will be written into your employment contract and might get approved by the board. In all likelihood though the board will appoint a committee (probably outside the company) to review these contracts. However, when looking at a large multi-national company the BOD will not get involved in pay scales or bonuses for an overwhelming majority of the workforce.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts

You're still siding with those who were born on third and thought they hit a triple, but whatever. Also I was talking about (mainly) those corporations having someone with the balls to stand up to the current setup. I really don't like the government getting involved in these things any more than you do, but one the few jobs the government should have is to keep things from getting as fvcked up as they are right now with CEOs making 500, 600, 700, 800 times what their workers make, all the while getting a hearty "well done" from many of those getting screwed. And tell me again who's on those "boards" that you mentioned? Any minimum wage folks on there? What about medium level management? It's those at the top of the food chain taking care of each other, along with those almost there who believe if they're good little boys and girls and give the keys to the treasury to the new CEO, they'll get their turn to pillage the company one day.

It's easy to side with those at the top of the food chain and pretend they all got there by simple good old American hard work, that let's you sleep better at night, unless you've experienced being "in their way" once or twice. Seeing the truth is something Americans simply do not want to do.

And about the government's "powers"if noone in the government watches out for regular people, who the hell do you think will? Oh and they just go somewhere else and get a job, yeah, there probably are places where that might be possible, but it sure ain't most places. Right to work states (which I both live in and work in) are literally the biggest pile of dogsh!t to come along since crooked and criminally behaving unions with mob ties.

Oh and about that tone, I sincerely hope I didn't use that when I wrote my post to you, if I did it wasn't my intent, in fact even though we disagree quite often I don't recall ever using that tone with you, it doesn't exactly foster friendly debates...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Oklahomahawk For This Useful Post:

goldfly (08-09-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    You're still siding with those who were born on third and thought they hit a triple, but whatever. ..
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    so, if we restructured the tax codes for big business to pay even less taxes than they are already not paying and got rid of the minimum wage

it would keep good paying jobs here in the states instead of being shipped to 3rd world countries that pay their workers nothing

that makes total sense
    U do realize that GE Bank of America and Verizon are among the massive amount of corporations who paid NO FEDERAL INCOME TAX and got a refund. It's a well known fact that NO big corporations pay that rate, if they pay anything at all. So let me get this straight it's perfectly fine for corporate America to pay zero federal taxes, have one state or locality fight another to see who will give them more tax breaks, and the minimum wage is the problem. Really? So corporate welfare is good but people welfare is not ? In order to keep up with inflation to equal out the value of the 1968 minimum wage , it would have to be 13.60 not 7.25 but the minimum wage is the problem not corporate america robbing us blind

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jcc03004 View Post
    U do realize that GE Bank of America and Verizon are among the massive amount of corporations who paid NO FEDERAL INCOME TAX and got a refund. It's a well known fact that NO big corporations pay that rate, if they pay anything at all. So let me get this straight it's perfectly fine for corporate America to pay zero federal taxes, have one state or locality fight another to see who will give them more tax breaks, and the minimum wage is the problem. Really? So corporate welfare is good but people welfare is not ? In order to keep up with inflation to equal out the value of the 1968 minimum wage , it would have to be 13.60 not 7.25 but the minimum wage is the problem not corporate america robbing us blind
    uh

17. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (08-11-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    I suspect the poster is new and isn't familiar with you.