Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeb Bush: People Need to Work Longer Hours...

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Shipping jobs overseas could be avoided if we restructured our corporate tax rates to be competitive with the rest of the world (they are the highest)... or got rid of silly minimum wage
    so, if we restructured the tax codes for big business to pay even less taxes than they are already not paying and got rid of the minimum wage

it would keep good paying jobs here in the states instead of being shipped to 3rd world countries that pay their workers nothing

that makes total sense
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

57Brave (07-09-2015), The Chosen One (07-09-2015)

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Jobs are sent overseas in order to take advantage of workers earning 10 dollars per day. Lets be real here Sturg.
    I'm sure that you own stock in these companies too, so that practice is making you money like it is for most of us. Is it not hypocritical to say we should keep the jobs in America while we invest in companies that send those send jobs overseas?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    I don't trust quotations from an article on a message board and I'll go read the entire thing
    haha, uh, i quoted him and linked the article

but whatever
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    I'm sure that you own stock in these companies too, so that practice is making you money like it is for most of us. Is it not hypocritical to say we should keep the jobs in America while we invest in companies that send those send jobs overseas?
    Am I supposed to sit idly by while my money is aggregating at 50 basis points in a bank?

Please, the country as a whole would be much better off if the wealthy weren't as greedy as they are.
    Natural Immunity Croc

6. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

goldfly (07-09-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    the country as a whole would be much better off if the wealthy weren't as greedy as they are.
    to quote 2 chainz: "TRUUUU"

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Am I supposed to sit idly by while my money is aggregating at 50 basis points in a bank?

Please, the country as a whole would be much better off if the wealthy weren't as greedy as they are.

At the same time wouldn't the country be better off with more people working which would put more money on the streets?

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    so, if we restructured the tax codes for big business to pay even less taxes than they are already not paying and got rid of the minimum wage

it would keep good paying jobs here in the states instead of being shipped to 3rd world countries that pay their workers nothing

that makes total sense
    Companies should be trying to make as much profit as possible. If the US made working in the US more competitive, there would be less of a need to leverage the more favorable conditions overseas.

This is common sense

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ESP47 View Post
    This guy comes from a family who has completely exploited our country while raping and pillaging other countries for their own personal wealth. You're really on board with him telling us that we need to work harder? This isn't your dad telling you that hard work = success. This is basically your slave owner telling you that 8+ hours a day is not enough.

Unemployment doesn't exist because people are lazy. It's because a ton of the good jobs have been sent overseas and they left us with minimum wage service work. People are foaming at the mouth to land real middle class paying jobs. Which is why there are thousands of applicants and insane competition for what used to be considered your average run of the mill American job.

People like Jeb Bush want you to get into six figure debt to go to school. Then they want you to get out of school and work thousands and thousands of hours for free as an "intern". Then they want you to start at some menial $12/hr salary and just be happy that you're allowed to work to make someone else money. Then they say that you're still not working hard enough and you need to work more hours so you can jump start the economy. An economy that is designed to funnel the majority of your money and time spent into the pockets of him and his buddies.
    Well, I think you are misconstruing his comments. I saw the quote as being aimed toward the underemployed (which, as you know, is a huge segment of the population right now). I'd agree with you if I interpreted his remarks as a kind of blanket statement.

And then there's the whole question of 'gainful' employment -- how much should every American require to 'live'? Isn't good health, food, and a stable income essentially all that one (and one's family) should absolutely need?

I love it when people start pointing at the government and corporations as the sole reasons why American jobs have been shipped overseas. Do you own an iPhone, or any Apple products? If so, throw that piece of **** in the toilet and recognize that you, too, were actually party to the padding of foreign pockets/greedy corporations. Or, is that too much self-responsibility? Are Americans even capable of that anymore?

Remember when mass-market American made cars were the **** (I don't -- but apparently they were at one point in history)? What happened there?

The American export market is practically artisanal.

Further, this notion of blaming the government for each and every woe is a bit old-hat. Do I give a **** what Jeb Bush tells me I should do? No, because I'm actually out there on the mean streets every day trying to make money like every other American. I literally can't afford to sit around and wait for the government to guide me toward prosperity. Talk about being spoon-fed.
    Last edited by Hawk; 07-09-2015 at 09:57 AM.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (07-09-2015), acesfull86 (07-09-2015), BedellBrave (07-11-2015), gilesfan (07-09-2015), weso1 (07-09-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Companies should be trying to make as much profit as possible. If the US made working in the US more competitive, there would be less of a need to leverage the more favorable conditions overseas.

This is common sense
    Making it more competitive by forcing workers to earn $10 dollars a day and not collecting tax revenues from corporations?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Shipping jobs overseas could be avoided if we restructured our corporate tax rates to be competitive with the rest of the world (they are the highest)... or got rid of silly minimum wage
    You really believe that sturg?

If you take the greediest people on his planet and give them a tax break here, do you really think they are going to close down their sweat shops and give American's their middle class jobs back?

Lets get real here. All you are doing is lining their pockets with even more money. These people are loyal to one thing and it's not you, me or this country. It's money. That's all they care about and if you think for a second that they are going to bring jobs back here because of tax breaks then I have a bridge to sell you. No amount of tax breaks will ever save them more money than exploiting third world countries for pennies an hour.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ESP47 For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (07-09-2015), goldfly (07-09-2015), The Chosen One (07-09-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    At the same time wouldn't the country be better off with more people working which would put more money on the streets?
    It would be better off with a certain portion of the population working more but a lot of us are working too much as is.

The consolidation of wealth is reaching ridiculous heights at this time. If you can't see how that is damaging for the future then we are just going to disagree.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ESP47 View Post
    You really believe that sturg?

If you take the greediest people on his planet and give them a tax break here, do you really think they are going to close down their sweat shops and give American's their middle class jobs back?

Lets get real here. All you are doing is lining their pockets with even more money. These people are loyal to one thing and it's not you, me or this country. It's money. That's all they care about and if you think for a second that they are going to bring jobs back here because of tax breaks then I have a bridge to sell you. No amount of tax breaks will ever save them more money than exploiting third world countries for pennies an hour.
    Sturg also mentioned eliminating the minimum wage. So he wants to give the tax breaks to the companies while allowing them to run sweat shops in the US.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

This is common sense
    i disagree that trying to compete with the 3rd world makes sense

and i think companies should have more responsibilities than "just making as much profit as possible"

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Nailed it. Its a joke what a "good" job has become.

I can't even begin to describe how many hours of free work I've given to my company.
    I am more fortunate that my boss looks after me. She pays me to spend the extra hours I work but she complains if I spend too much time. But in the end, not being on salary she said is best for me of the time I spend doing what is needed and the owner wanted me on salary to exploit me.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    What other way is there? Should we ban foreign imports?

I guess a start would be making better products.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Jeb is the best public speaker of the entire Bush clan, but I think there is a garbled syntax/lousy phraseology gene that plagues the family's rhetoric. I'm just guessing at what his point was here, but I think if he had said something that indicated we need policies that would move part-time workers into full-time jobs, there wouldn't be a problem. The question, of course, is what policies he would promote to accomplish that, but that can wait at this juncture.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (07-09-2015), BedellBrave (07-11-2015)

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts

and i think companies should have more responsibilities than "just making as much profit as possible"
    Unfortunately, even I agree with you, they do not care what you think and there is nothing we can do about it...yet. The only thing we can do is tax the hell out of any import to the point they are force to pay people what they are worth here and making labor costly overseas. But on the a geopolitical level it will sour relations all over the world.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    you don't trust direct quotations ===
    that explains why you come across so mis informed on most topics

Quotation marks mean, they are exactly what the person said.
    Suppose Jeb was POTUS and made such a faux pas that needed further explanation speaking with Putin or during delicate negotiations concerning the disposal of Iranian nuclear waste ? We are not even 3 months into the campaign and already his handlers are having to explain "what he really meant" wow, I remember another Bush with the same problem...

In quotation marks.

“My aspiration for the country and I believe we can achieve it, is 4 percent growth as far as the eye can see. Which means we have to be a lot more productive, workforce participation has to rise from its all-time modern lows. It means that people need to work longer hours” and, through their productivity, gain more income for their families. That's the only way we're going to get out of this rut that we're in.”

It is what he said - like Obama saying there were 57 states or ...
    Big difference between confusing the number of states visited and insinuating "47%" of the voting public isn't pulling it's weight
    I think having full context is a great thing. I guess you don't agree?
    Ivermectin Man

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    I want to hear the GOP start using the term Job Creators again.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    haha, uh, i quoted him and linked the article

but whatever
    I know, and I haven't gotten around to it yet. I will, but whatever.
    Ivermectin Man