Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeb Bush: People Need to Work Longer Hours...

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    What other way is there? Should we ban foreign imports?

I guess a start would be making better products.
    No, tax them to the point it is equivalent to what they should make here.

At Rockwell Collins, the union tried to get higher wages, from 22 to 25 an hour for factory workers, most of them with an equivalent of a GED. Well they push them to taking almost all of the higher wagers out of the equation and built a factory in Mexico which those workers are making half, but to them it is like middle class, no benefits.

You see we can't do anything about that, but normal items you see at Target, Sam's Club, Wallyworld, those things are cheap and cheaply made on others backs, hit them with an import tax of similar to what we pay for their normal work, instead of 7.25, give them 11 an hour. I think Costco is doing it now and they should be a blueprint on how to treat workers.

No CEO is worth 25 mil a year for a bonus, NONE.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    What other way is there? Should we ban foreign imports?

I guess a start would be making better products.
    We should not be trading with countries that artificually deflate their currency for starters.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Companies should be trying to make as much profit as possible. If the US made working in the US more competitive, there would be less of a need to leverage the more favorable conditions overseas.

This is common sense
    OMFG

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    OMFG
    Sturg is an idealogue and shows no room for change.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    We should not be trading with countries that artificually deflate their currency for starters.
    So you are going to ban trade with China? I mean, good luck with that. The ripple effect would be crippling.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    So you are going to ban trade with China? I mean, good luck with that. The ripple effect would be crippling.
    Sadly, I agree. But, something has to be done with these countries not acting in good faith with their trade policies.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Sadly, I agree. But, something has to be done with these countries not acting in good faith with their trade policies.
    That goes for us as well, but in our sense, we are taking jobs from Americans and sending them overseas while companies skirt the taxes they should pay and then the middle class like me is paying for both free-loaders and those who can't work in wealth fare and Obamacare.

We are fu*cked any way you want to put it.

Dems would make it worst and the Reps can do something but they are too greedy to try it.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Well, I think you are misconstruing his comments. I saw the quote as being aimed toward the underemployed (which, as you know, is a huge segment of the population right now). I'd agree with you if I interpreted his remarks as a kind of blanket statement.

And then there's the whole question of 'gainful' employment -- how much should every American require to 'live'? Isn't good health, food, and a stable income essentially all that one (and one's family) should absolutely need?

I love it when people start pointing at the government and corporations as the sole reasons why American jobs have been shipped overseas. Do you own an iPhone, or any Apple products? If so, throw that piece of **** in the toilet and recognize that you, too, were actually party to the padding of foreign pockets/greedy corporations. Or, is that too much self-responsibility? Are Americans even capable of that anymore?

Remember when mass-market American made cars were the **** (I don't -- but apparently they were at one point in history)? What happened there?

The American export market is practically artisanal.

Further, this notion of blaming the government for each and every woe is a bit old-hat. Do I give a **** what Jeb Bush tells me I should do? No, because I'm actually out there on the mean streets every day trying to make money like every other American. I literally can't afford to sit around and wait for the government to guide me toward prosperity. Talk about being spoon-fed.
    I agree with most of this.

You question how much do American's really need to live and I'll counter with how much do CEO's need to live? To say that all we need to live is health, food and shelter is true to it's core but don't you think the world has moved far beyond that? To me that's the thinking we should have had 100+ years ago. With all the technological advancements we have these days, we are far beyond just having to settle for health, food and shelter. Why can't we all live to the fullest extent? Why are only a select few allowed to live that way?

You are correct about not supporting products that are made overseas but is it realistic to live these days without owning a single foreign made product? The world has changed to where we are forced to own products made in sweat shops. If you don't, you can't work. You can't just walk into an office building and fill out and application. It's all done online. How are you going to find a fully made American computer to apply? I highly doubt those 50 year old computers that filled up entire rooms are going to be able to get you online to apply.

By lowering wages they are essentially forcing us to buy Chinese garbage. How can people afford to buy products made in the USA if they aren't being paid correctly for the work they do? Corporations know this and they know that by lowering our wages, we are essentially forced to buy their cheaply made products overseas because we have no other recourse. It's a racket. Hell, people can't even start American made businesses these days. How can you compete with sweat shop labor? It's impossible. Your products will be priced right out of the market and you'll be bankrupt in no time. Very very few people can break into the market and be successful these days. That's not the American dream.

Sturg also mentioned eliminating the minimum wage. So he wants to give the tax breaks to the companies while allowing them to run sweat shops in the US.
    If Sturg was part of the 1% then I'd be like ok I see why you think that way. The fact that he's not is mind boggling. At some point people have to start using common sense over the rules that their favorite party has laid out for them.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ESP47 For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (07-09-2015)

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    910 Posts
    Sometimes we act as though we're the only player in the game allowed to make moves. Restricting trade, increasing tariffs...I think posters here are grossly underestimating the impact of the retaliatory measures of those choices.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acesfull86 For This Useful Post:

Hawk (07-09-2015), weso1 (07-09-2015)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ESP47 View Post
    You really believe that sturg?

If you take the greediest people on his planet and give them a tax break here, do you really think they are going to close down their sweat shops and give American's their middle class jobs back?

Lets get real here. All you are doing is lining their pockets with even more money. These people are loyal to one thing and it's not you, me or this country. It's money. That's all they care about and if you think for a second that they are going to bring jobs back here because of tax breaks then I have a bridge to sell you. No amount of tax breaks will ever save them more money than exploiting third world countries for pennies an hour.
    So on one hand, I hear that companies will squeeze every dime they can and force people to work for $10 a day.

On another hand I hear that women make 77% of what men do.

So wouldn't companies be paying EVERYONE minimum wage today, or at least, only hiring women? Since they are so greedy?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Making it more competitive by forcing workers to earn $10 dollars a day and not collecting tax revenues from corporations?
    Who would be forcing workers to work for $10 a day?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    There are something like 4 million jobs in the US that could be filled right now if quality/skilled candidates existed. Most of them decent paying jobs.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Sturg is an idealogue and shows no room for change.
    Actually - change is exactly what I'm suggesting.

I'm not sure what you're suggestion is - other than for companies to willingly make less money than they are. Good luck with that

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Comments like this, andpeople think Bush will get elected.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts

18. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

thethe (07-09-2015)

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    So on one hand, I hear that companies will squeeze every dime they can and force people to work for $10 a day.

On another hand I hear that women make 77% of what men do.

So wouldn't companies be paying EVERYONE minimum wage today, or at least, only hiring women? Since they are so greedy?
    No because you can't just completely change the workforce overnight like that. No one is going to apply if they make drastic changes like that. They have to slowly get people used to a lower quality life and then over time drop the wages and raise the hours like they are doing now.

They are squeezing every ounce of money out of companies right now and people are fed up. People are getting hired to do job A at less than what the previous worker for job A got paid. The people who are working jobs B and C get laid off and now the new, lower paid employee, has to do jobs A, B and C for no extra compensation and no overtime. If this person doesn't work extra to complete the jobs of 3 people they are basically made to feel like they are lazy. Everything is being consolidated to where you're doing more work for less pay, while the CEO is making record profits. It's a slow process but eventually we will be exactly where you stated.
    Last edited by ESP47; 07-09-2015 at 11:32 AM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ESP47 For This Useful Post:

thethe (07-09-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    On one hand Sturg says good luck getting corps to make less money and on the other he implies wages will be inflated Which will result in less money for corps.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    On one hand Sturg says good luck getting corps to make less money and on the other he implies wages will be inflated Which will result in less money for corps.
    In the end, the American people have to dictate what they want. Stop shopping at Walmart, so on and so forth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ESP47 View Post
    I agree with most of this.

If Sturg was part of the 1% then I'd be like ok I see why you think that way. The fact that he's not is mind boggling. At some point people have to start using common sense over the rules that their favorite party has laid out for them.
    using sturg as an example:

Which goes back to the ongoing rant I give sturg about 10' of water ----- blah blah blah.

If he was a part of the 1% I Would better understand where he is coming from.
    But, by all indications he is not

Which goes back again, I don't understand why people support positions that are detrimental (threaten) to their own existence.
    Because it is a matter of time before his steadfast position on one of the safety net programs or the minimum wage issue, or "freedom" etc etc etc
    comes back to bite him.

The gold standard and the Federal Reserve are not changing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    In the end, the American people have to dictate what they want. Stop shopping at Walmart, so on and so forth.
    I don't shop at Walmart. But, in the end everywhere we shop uses outsourced labor insome for or another.
    Natural Immunity Croc