Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Grilli Close To Being Moved???

"Jason Grilli RP | ATL
    Braves seriously talking about trading closer Jason Grilli
    by Michael Hurcomb | CBSSports.com
    (40 mins ago) The Braves have had serious talks about trading closer Jason Grilli, according to CBSSports.com Baseball Insider Jon Heyman, who suggests the Blue Jays and Dodgers as two teams who could be a good fit for the veteran right-hander.

"He has good makeup. I'd take a shot," one AL scout said.

Grilli, who is 3-3 with a 2.67 ERA and 24 saves in 35 appearances, is under contract through 2016. He is slated to make $3.5 million next season and has a $3 million team option ($250,000 buyout) for 2017."
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Uh, yes. I would think a team would want to invest in him, Johnson (I wish Chris...) and Avilan. They're guys that could net us a decent little prospect or so.

Grilli is frustrating sometimes, but he's good. I really enjoy having the guy around.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    This is really the smartest move. Really curious what the Braves are asking for (and might get).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (07-10-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    This is really the smartest move. Really curious what the Braves are asking for (and might get).
    As much as I want to say no its tough to disagree. The return better be more than a marginal prospect though or else I don't agree with it.
    Natural Immunity Croc

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    I'm on board with it. We are absolutely not going to contend with this squad, and I'd like to see us turn some short term assets into prospects provided we get fair value for them. As others have said, I don't want to trade players like Grilli just for the sake of trading them, but if we get a solid return for them, it's prudent to take it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Good. Assuming we get back a useful player and not several might be somethings. I want one good player for him. Ideally MLB ready in the next two years. Ideally a C, LF, RF, CF or 3B. How about Schebler? Ranked high but some scouts don't think he has the bat speed. Prob LF b/c not great D or arm. LH, but a strong guy who can hit and hit for some power. THey have higher upside OFs.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Who cares if we get a marginal prospect? A marginal prospect is still better than a closer for a mediocre team. Grilli doesn't add much to us and his value to another team will be more than it will be to us.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

9. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-10-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Who cares if we get a marginal prospect? A marginal prospect is still better than a closer for a mediocre team. Grilli doesn't add much to us and his value to another team will be more than it will be to us.
    A marginal prospect does less for hte team than Grilli would for the next two years. Its pretty simple if you ask me.

There is value in winning games at the major league level.
    Natural Immunity Croc

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (07-10-2015), JohnAdcox (07-10-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I think we have more leverage than that. Seller's market and we have him next year at a solid rate. We can sell him for a marginal prospect next year.

Unless they take on CJ. Both LA and Toronto have all the money they want. Gilli for free if they take CJ.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-10-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I think we have more leverage than that. Seller's market and we have him next year at a solid rate. We can sell him for a marginal prospect next year.

Unless they take on CJ. Both LA and Toronto have all the money they want. Gilli for free if they take CJ.
    I would be behind that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    A marginal prospect does less for hte team than Grilli would for the next two years. Its pretty simple if you ask me.

There is value in winning games at the major league level.
    Grilli adds so few wins. We're not talking about trading Freeman, Simmons, etc. We're talking about someone who pitches 60 innings. In 60 innings, what is the difference between a 2 and 3 era? Like7 runs. So assume the average save is 2 runs, that makes like potentially 3 wins. A great closer is important in the post season. It's not important in the regular season.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    The point is the Braves are still on the edge of maybe being contenders. While that is still the case I think it sends a bad message to the entire organization if they become sellers right now. Things could certainly change in the next couple weeks to turn the team into sellers, but Grilli isn't going to bring back anything that will make any impact ever, so don't sell him unless the team is clearly out of contention.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Grilli adds so few wins. We're not talking about trading Freeman, Simmons, etc. We're talking about someone who pitches 60 innings. In 60 innings, what is the difference between a 2 and 3 era? Like7 runs. So assume the average save is 2 runs, that makes like potentially 3 wins. A great closer is important in the post season. It's not important in the regular season.
    Huh? 3 wins is an important player. I don't think Grilli is worth quite that, but if he keeps this up he'll be close. He's been phenomenal this year, better than he's ever been; we better get something good for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    how about Guerrero? Maybe he'd wave the trade/FA clause if we traded Gilli and KJ so he could start in LF?

Boras guy so you never expect him to play ball. You'd like to extend but Boras won't. But a RH LF/3B with power...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The point is the Braves are still on the edge of maybe being contenders. While that is still the case I think it sends a bad message to the entire organization if they become sellers right now. Things could certainly change in the next couple weeks to turn the team into sellers, but Grilli isn't going to bring back anything that will make any impact ever, so don't sell him unless the team is clearly out of contention.
    I think this is a poor evaluation of where we are this year as a team. We are still much closer to being a bottom 10 team than a top 10 team with this offense. I don't see any scenario where we could win a playoff series. We will struggle to score runs more often than not, and our bullpen is not deep enough to contend.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to mqt For This Useful Post:

Horsehide Harry (07-10-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    you're prob right. And Hart keeps saying he's old school.

But we need to maximize the asset. We still have a lot of holes. And he'll be 40 in the magic 2017.

We have relievers coming back from PED suspension. We have injured guys who could be available late in the year. We could try Folty at it (blown saves pile up).

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    If I'm picking...

I want Austin Barnes from the Dodgers or Max Pentecost from Toronto.

For those who continue to think Grilli won't get that kind of return, his contract does have that kind of value.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

Horsehide Harry (07-10-2015), JohnAdcox (07-10-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    I doubt we only get something marginal. He's extremely affordable the next two years and has been really productive. if it were just marginal, i'd keep him for at least the next year.

I think the fact that we're in trade talks regarding him is a clear sign the FO is acknowledging we aren't looking to buy or compete this year. How can that be construed any other way? The fact we're considering it makes it clear we are not going to buy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    If I'm picking...

I want Austin Barnes from the Dodgers or Max Pentecost from Toronto.

For those who continue to think Grilli won't get that kind of return, his contract does have that kind of value.
    I think it's possible...especially b/c the dodgers have catchers and OFs. And he's not a star type ceiling, he's a solid C with a solid hit tool.

I could also see us going blockbuster with the Dodgers. They need a SP and Grilli. I don't think we will, but it's an option.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Huh? 3 wins is an important player. I don't think Grilli is worth quite that, but if he keeps this up he'll be close. He's been phenomenal this year, better than he's ever been; we better get something good for him.
    I don't think so either. I was catering to thethe's view. As far as true added win, the difference between a great and average closer is less than a win. Only a few exceptions being generational talents, and Grilli isn't that. The closer's value is that he is sealing wins, if you're around .500 with a great closer, you're adding only a few marginal wins better at best than with anyone.