Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keith Laws midseason top 50 prospect update

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts

Keith Laws midseason top 50 prospect update

Anybody have this listing just to see which Braves may have made the list?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Playing the Waiting Game keithlaw's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    294 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Anybody have this listing just to see which Braves may have made the list?
    Albies at 24. Allard just missed

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Wow, no Peraza? Law was just saying a few months ago that he thought Peraza was a future All-Star.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Albies is heading toward a top 15 prospect at some point. Probably higher if he ups the power a tick or so.
    Ivermectin Man

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Albies: Yet another shortstop from Curaçao, Albies may be 5-foot-7, but he's very strong, with a short swing, especially from the left side, and great hand-eye coordination. He's fourth in the Sally League in hitting and in the top 15 in lowest strikeout rate even though he's the circuit's second-youngest regular.

IIRC he had Peraza in his pre-season Top 50.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Albies: Yet another shortstop from Curaçao, Albies may be 5-foot-7, but he's very strong, with a short swing, especially from the left side, and great hand-eye coordination. He's fourth in the Sally League in hitting and in the top 15 in lowest strikeout rate even though he's the circuit's second-youngest regular.

IIRC he had Peraza in his pre-season Top 50.
    Yep. #24. . Jose Peraza, 2B/SS
    Height: 6-0 | Weight: 165

Peraza is a natural shortstop, but the presence of defensive wizard Andrelton Simmons in the major league lineup has led Atlanta to try Peraza at second base, where he should be a 65 or 70 defender and half of a historically great middle-infield tandem when he gets settled in the majors. At the plate, he has a very compact, direct swing that produces line-drive contact without power. He's a 70 runner, albeit from the right side, enough to have high impact on the bases but not enough to give him Billy Hamilton-type value from pushing bunts toward third base. He's not a patient hitter since his hand-eye coordination and short stroke mean he can square up almost anything in the zone. As long as he's hitting .330, that trick works, but Howie Kendrick, who hit .360 in his minor league career, can testify to how that skill doesn't always translate to the majors if you don't work the count.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    If Albies demonstrates even a slight tick in power you are looking at a top 10 prospect at 18 years of age. Crazy.
    Natural Immunity Croc

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    If Albies demonstrates even a slight tick in power you are looking at a top 10 prospect at 18 years of age. Crazy.
    He barrels balls so easily too. It's uncanny really. I got video of him earlier this year and even his outs were well hit. He's growing (figure of speech) into a complete hitter. I love watching the guy. I've been to Rome 8 times now. He's worth it alone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    I've kept my eye on Albies for a bit, but I didn't think he'd end up this good. I hope it continues and his development is as high as we think. He sounds a guy that could be huge for this team.

I also means that we need to look into the prospect of trading Peraza while he's high, because I don't want another Bethancourt. (Though I know Peraza's numbers are wayyyy better)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    I've kept my eye on Albies for a bit, but I didn't think he'd end up this good. I hope it continues and his development is as high as we think. He sounds a guy that could be huge for this team.

I also means that we need to look into the prospect of trading Peraza while he's high, because I don't want another Bethancourt. (Though I know Peraza's numbers are wayyyy better)
    Peraza is an interesting case. If he can play at SS, some team may give him a shot. But, that walk rate means he's going to have to consistently hit over .300 to be a productive offensive player.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Peraza is an interesting case. If he can play at SS, some team may give him a shot. But, that walk rate means he's going to have to consistently hit over .300 to be a productive offensive player.
    His walk rate scares the heck out of me and that's one of the main reasons I brought up CB. He needs to walk. If he had a better eye, dude would be in the majors right now or incredibly soon IMO. He's a less fast Billy Hamilton.

I don't want a hitter with an average around .250 with an OBP of .290. We already have Simba, yet he has some pop and is a wizard.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    The shine of Peraza has definitely worn off

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Imo Peraza is still a very good prospect. The strikeout rate remains below 10%. His BABIP is low for him this year at .303. I think it settles around .320 or .330 even in the majors. If that is the case a walk rate around 5% is acceptable. Not great but acceptable when you consider the defense and speed.

The key question for guys like Albies and Peraza is whether they can develop some power. Not necessarily home runs, but doubles and triples.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Peraza will probably be marketed to other teams as a SS in trade discussions. I could definitely see Peraza plus a quality pitching prospect being the centerpiece of a deal bringing back an impact player at 3B/OF/C with 3+ years of control.

Albies will likely replace Jace at 2B as soon as Jace starts to get expensive.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (07-16-2015)

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    His walk rate scares the heck out of me and that's one of the main reasons I brought up CB. He needs to walk. If he had a better eye, dude would be in the majors right now or incredibly soon IMO. He's a less fast Billy Hamilton.

I don't want a hitter with an average around .250 with an OBP of .290. We already have Simba, yet he has some pop and is a wizard.
    It's just a damn logjam everywhere...Where does Albies go when he's ready for a shot at the majors?!?!? I'd like to see (SOON) Jace moved to 3rd, Peraza called up and placed at 2nd and of course Simmons at SS...might as well see what you got in Peraza and if you're considering trading him showcase him a little bit

17. The Following User Says Thank You to steveAKAslick For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (07-16-2015)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Everyone is mad hype about Albies (rightfully so, IMO), but do remember that he is a young 18. It'll be a while before we have to find room for him.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

yeezus (07-16-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveAKAslick View Post
    It's just a damn logjam everywhere...Where does Albies go when he's ready for a shot at the majors?!?!? I'd like to see (SOON) Jace moved to 3rd, Peraza called up and placed at 2nd and of course Simmons at SS...might as well see what you got in Peraza and if you're considering trading him showcase him a little bit
    When Uribe is flipped I think that should be the idea. Just to showcase both jace and Peraza and whoever gives the best offer then you take it.
    Natural Immunity Croc

21. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-16-2015)

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Everyone is mad hype about Albies (rightfully so, IMO), but do remember that he is a young 18. It'll be a while before we have to find room for him.
    Totally agree, but we have Simmons through 2020 and although he is super inconsistent with his bat you're not gonna beat that guy in the field....he's good for a lot of wins alone just based on his defense and IMO he's the best defensive SS I've ever seen

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    When Uribe is flipped I think that should be the idea. Just to showcase both jace and Peraza and whoever gives the best offer then you take it.
    It wouldn't bother me one bit and I actually wanna see as many AAA guys or guys that are deemed ready come up in the second half of the season...I think we are fooling ourselves if we think this team is a playoff contender...I don't wanna see a total tank job or anything but I wanna get a decent draft pick out of this season in the least...and I'm just excited about the future and greedily wanna see what some of our top prospects that are ready or almost there can offer

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Can anyone post the Baseball America top 10 for our system?