Thread: Jeff Schultz Interview w/ John Hart

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts

Jeff Schultz Interview w/ John Hart

Link is below. The parts that I found interesting were about Bethancourt and Fredi.

On CB . . .

Q: Any regrets about dealing Gattis, given Christian Bethancourt’s struggles.
    A: It had nothing to do with Bethancourt. It was more to do with Gattis and his availability to catch 115 to 120 games. We didn’t feel he could do that. If we kept him, we would’ve tried him in left field.
    Q: Are you worried about Bethancourt?
    A: I really like his skill set. I don’t think he has embraced what it is he needs to do to sell out to his pitching staff, to drive the train. We sent him to Gwinnett and I told (manager Brian Snitker) the boxes I wanted check: shows up early, prepares for game, goes over scouting report, works the pitcher.’ Go through those intangibles.
    Q: You’re talking about dedication.
    A: Not dedication. It’s a level of preparedness you need for what Roger (McDowell) expects and a championship organization expects, especially when dealing with young pitchers.
    Q: So he doesn’t understand what it takes.
    A: You put it well.
    And below on Fredi. If I had to guess, I think there is a chance that Fredi will be retained in a different capacity.

Q: How has Fredi Gonzalez dealt with the personnel changes?
    A: When we got together over the winter I told him: “You’re going to be a part of what we do here, as far as acquiring players, making deals and understanding the dynamic.” We made moves that Fredi knew were going to hurt him but he never complained. He said, “Whatever’s good for the organization.” I know I haven’t given him all the weapons he needs. His handling of the bullpen – I look up and think, “Well, how could anybody (handle this group)?” He’s a winning man, he loves and cares about the Braves and he’s done a superior job. I was candid with Fredi: “I know you’re in your last year (of a contract). We’re making a run-through here and we’ll make the call when it’s appropriate.” But Fredi is always ready to help figure out the solution to a problem.
    Q: Will that be a tough call at the end of the year?
    A: I don’t think so.
    Q: As in, he’ll be brought back?
    A: I don’t want to go there. There’s timing. But Fredi’s been really good. He’s been good to work with and he’s done a good job with his staff. And this club may fall apart but I know if it happens it’s not going to be because Fredi forgot how to manage.
    http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/bas...3828699.735795

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    The whole "I never promised we'd be winners this year" thing is, of course, literally true but substantively bull****.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    The whole "I never promised we'd be winners this year" thing is, of course, literally true but substantively bull****.
    Not to anyone that actually looked at the roster and expected to win. I don't really care if he tries to sell tickets to start the year. Hell, he better! I consider his pumping of the roster pretty standard industry practice no matter the situation. I am not going to knock him for it. The fact he is being candid now that the shine is off the ticket promotions is about right timing to me.
    Ivermectin Man

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Runnin (07-16-2015)

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Not to anyone that actually looked at the roster and expected to win. I don't really care if he tries to sell tickets to start the year. Hell, he better! I consider his pumping of the roster pretty standard industry practice no matter the situation. I am not going to knock him for it. The fact he is being candid now that the shine is off the ticket promotions is about right timing to me.
    I agree that's what he was doing at the beginning of the season, and I basically have no problems with it. And if he wanted to say, "Hey, look, we understood this was going to be a rebuilding year, but we didn't want to drive attendance into the ground at the beginning of the season, and I liked the character of the team, so I talked them up a little bit, as all executives do," that would be fine.

But that's not what he's doing. He's trying to change history by claiming that he never said what he said, and what's most galling is that he's winning fawning coverage for his "honesty" and "candidness."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (07-16-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    I agree that's what he was doing at the beginning of the season, and I basically have no problems with it. And if he wanted to say, "Hey, look, we understood this was going to be a rebuilding year, but we didn't want to drive attendance into the ground at the beginning of the season, and I liked the character of the team, so I talked them up a little bit, as all executives do," that would be fine.

But that's not what he's doing. He's trying to change history by claiming that he never said what he said, and what's most galling is that he's winning fawning coverage for his "honesty" and "candidness."
    But who was taking him at his word when he did that? **other than thethe. If you did, and got all panties bunched about it then we need to talk real estate in Arizona.
    Last edited by Tapate50; 07-16-2015 at 11:55 AM.
    Ivermectin Man

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (07-16-2015)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    "Fredi’s been really good. He’s been good to work with and he’s done a good job with his staff. And this club may fall apart but I know if it happens it’s not going to be because Fredi forgot how to manage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I think Freddi will be a Braves lifer but I just don't think he will be managing the team moving forward.

Shame that CB is having these makeup issues.
    Natural Immunity Croc

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I think Freddi will be a Braves lifer but I just don't think he will be managing the team moving forward.

Shame that CB is having these makeup issues.
    I've been CB's biggest supporter when I met him in rookie ball. He was so arrogant, but I liked it because then, all anyone wanted him to do was show of that arm and he did that. Then I saw him in Rome. Better attitude, but that's not saying a lot. But he made an effort. I saw that. Somewhere along the way, maybe I fooled myself into thinking the right person in his ear would make him "WORK." I say that because I saw a raw guy who just had tools, but he tried (at least up until Mississippi that I saw). I hoped he would at least be given an effort to play daily. SMH. But other than offense, AJ doesn't do it for me either!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Deester11 For This Useful Post:

Hawk (07-16-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    I think I am so apathetic with CB because he seems like a dick. Frankly, I feel like he is a dick. If his attitude were better, I would be all about helping the guy. But lord, you're given every opportunity (and a sum of cash) to play this game and you sure as hell need to play hard.

I like the guy's skill set as well, but he needs to work on it. We will see, I suppose.

As in, bring in Lucroy. lol

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Hope the bullpen doesn't read that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Bout as candid as a GM gets in those highlights.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    What's one more hit?

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Well it changes weekly outside of a few, so it would be hard for them to get offended

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    I think I am so apathetic with CB because he seems like a dick. Frankly, I feel like he is a dick. If his attitude were better, I would be all about helping the guy. But lord, you're given every opportunity (and a sum of cash) to play this game and you sure as hell need to play hard.

I like the guy's skill set as well, but he needs to work on it. We will see, I suppose.

As in, bring in Lucroy. lol
    Lol.... He definitely has a... Different attitude... No one can want success for him more than he wants it for himself.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Deester11 For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (07-16-2015)

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    Lol.... He definitely has a... Different attitude... No one can want success for him more than he wants it for himself.
    is everyone on the Lucroy bandwagon? I agree he's better than what we have, but he's 29 years old with a few solid seasons under his belt...is he worth what we'd have to give up to get him?

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    A: I don’t want to go there.

Yeah, if it's not going to be a tough call and Hart doesn't want to go there, then pretty safe that Fredi won't be manager. They just like Fredi on a personal level most likely and there is zero need to make a move mid season. And he likely stays around in some capacity in the org if he wants.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to auyushu For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (07-16-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    A: I don’t want to go there.

Yeah, if it's not going to be a tough call and Hart doesn't want to go there, then pretty safe that Fredi won't be manager. They just like Fredi on a personal level most likely and there is zero need to make a move mid season. And he likely stays around in some capacity in the org if he wants.
    It almost seems Hart knew Fredi wasn't the right fit but figured "What the Hell" in a rebuild season. Plus this allows them to save face again like they did last year with the batting coach (who they later gave another job). In other words, Fredi won't be officially fired but no renewal of his contract as manager. Then likely brought back in another capacity later on if not straight away (again same as Braves previous batting coach and same as TP once upon a time too).

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    A bit in the interview I found interesting was Hart's comment about not getting the pieces he originally wanted in the Justin Upton trade.

"The Justin Upton deal we (discussed) so many pieces. The guys we wanted, they didn’t put in — they got put into another (trade)"

MLBTR pointed out that the Padres moved Jesse Hahn to Oakland for Norris the day before.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    As a side note, I have to admit that Hart's candor is utterly and welcomingly refreshing in contrast to what we got from Wren. He's won me over in many respects.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    As a side note, I have to admit that Hart's candor is utterly and welcomingly refreshing in contrast to what we got from Wren. He's won me over in many respects.
    In fairness. Wren was trying to keep his job. Hart knows he's gonna be stepping down in a few years for Coppy.
    Forever Fredi

27. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (07-16-2015)