Page 18 of 85 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Thread: The Don

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Sorry I'm (to use Garmel's words) "hitting a little to close to home" call it what you will, but folks I mentioned want to enact laws with no basis other than their religious beliefs. Was a being a tad hyperbolic calling it Sharia Law? Yes. But it elicited the reaction I was hoping for.

At least I'm glad you've admitted your inflammatory, trolling, rhetoric. I thought you were a sounder thinker - glad I was right there.

Oh, and as I like to remind you "secularists," all views of law are rooted in ethical-religious systems. Law is religion codified.
    Last edited by BedellBrave; 12-13-2015 at 11:51 PM.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    At least I'm glad you've admitted your inflammatory, trolling, rhetoric. I thought you were a sounder thinker - glad I was right there.

Oh, and as I like to remind you "secularists," all views of law are rooted in ethical-religious systems.
    Well we could get into a chicken or egg debate here. But I don't believe one needs religion to be able to determine if things are good or bad (or just/unjust, fair/unfair, etc.) What we live in is a society. We have to make laws that are beneficial to it's citizens. Not the religious majority.

Lots of people have used religion to pass lots of heinous laws, there are still churches (not major ones mind you, more small fundamentalists who I'm sure you wouldn't want to associate with) that use the Bible to justify racism, and thing slavery should still exist.

Now to the average person, the idea that slavery should exist sounds horrible and heinous. It simply does. But to some sects of various religions, they think it should because it's in their holy book.

To me there's not much scarier than someone who wants to impress their beliefs on others, and the main reason why is because to me it crushes what little human individuality we have.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    If that scares you then be scared of yourself. That's what we all do. That's what you are doing in this thread. It's human nature.

Back to law - a society's laws reveal what that society thinks to be right and wrong. The question then follows: why does society think that? Or: upon what do they base that sense of morality? What authority? In other words, law reveals ethical system reveals accepted authorities reveals religion/belief/metaphysics, what have you.

Your statement, "we have to make laws that are beneficial to it's citizens" is an expression of your own belief system, one that you are at the moment trying to impress upon me. It's a highly religious statement.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-14-2015)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    Another thing I learned is that when I get replies like this it's usually because my comments are hitting a little too close to home. Isn't that right, jpx7? ;)
    I'm neither theophilic nor theophobic—just not a fan of self-congratulatory proclamations of one's own freedom from sin or nonsense.

And my grandma's an atheist, by the way; I don't condemn her, but I'll on occasion ask how she can be so sure.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Well we could get into a chicken or egg debate here. But I don't believe one needs religion to be able to determine if things are good or bad (or just/unjust, fair/unfair, etc.) What we live in is a society. We have to make laws that are beneficial to it's citizens. Not the religious majority.

Lots of people have used religion to pass lots of heinous laws, there are still churches (not major ones mind you, more small fundamentalists who I'm sure you wouldn't want to associate with) that use the Bible to justify racism, and thing slavery should still exist.

Now to the average person, the idea that slavery should exist sounds horrible and heinous. It simply does. But to some sects of various religions, they think it should because it's in their holy book.

To me there's not much scarier than someone who wants to impress their beliefs on others, and the main reason why is because to me it crushes what little human individuality we have.
    Sorry my friend, a lot of atheist think the opposite of you and we can point to them. Dal is one, but he is one of the nicest individuals you can meet and he can speak to Christians while not upsetting them or looking down on them like you do. He understand the world is a melting pot and understand that acceptance is the "word" here. Christians only do what is right for anyone. They are first to help one another regardless you are saved or not, most atheist isn't and surely not Democrats/Liberals (they think the rich should do it), they are the first to see if you are okay, they are the first in many things. Of all the religions, I believe Christians want is what good for the world and not cause no harm to others or subvert others or else mentality (Muslims). Buddhist and Hindus respect Christians, they don't respect Muslims, I wonder why? Violence and people here want to accept their religion. Most of the Muslims here don't want that as they know it is terrible - all the blacks do and no way they will blow themselves up for the cause. My wife is okay with Muslims if they are willing to ignore that part of their religion and I agree with her.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    Sorry my friend, a lot of atheist think the opposite of you and we can point to them. Dal is one, but he is one of the nicest individuals you can meet and he can speak to Christians while not upsetting them or looking down on them like you do. He understand the world is a melting pot and understand that acceptance is the "word" here. Christians only do what is right for anyone. They are first to help one another regardless you are saved or not, most atheist isn't and surely not Democrats/Liberals (they think the rich should do it), they are the first to see if you are okay, they are the first in many things. Of all the religions, I believe Christians want is what good for the world and not cause no harm to others or subvert others or else mentality (Muslims). Buddhist and Hindus respect Christians, they don't respect Muslims, I wonder why? Violence and people here want to accept their religion. Most of the Muslims here don't want that as they know it is terrible - all the blacks do and no way they will blow themselves up for the cause. My wife is okay with Muslims if they are willing to ignore that part of their religion and I agree with her.
    If Christians only do what's right for anyone why do we have Christians dicking Gays over?

HEre's the difference between you and I, I don't think any one group is all good or all bad. Islam has some bad seeds for sure.

As far as the Hindus not respecting Muslims you're probably referring to the religious battles in India. That's hardly just to do with religion.

Islam has issues but most of it's issues are with people from a very specific region more than the religion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    If Christians only do what's right for anyone why do we have Christians dicking Gays over?

HEre's the difference between you and I, I don't think any one group is all good or all bad. Islam has some bad seeds for sure.

As far as the Hindus not respecting Muslims you're probably referring to the religious battles in India. That's hardly just to do with religion.

Islam has issues but most of it's issues are with people from a very specific region more than the religion.
    Are they? Muslims will kill a gay in a heartbeat, even those here. Christians will only look down on them.

And you are wrong, the Koran, is the Koran, it is absolute, the ones here knows they can't have Sharia law here even though they want it because Christian views reign because our country was based on their rules.

If it were Muslim, the Death penalty would be the norm, people hands or heads would be cut off, females had to wear clothes which would piss you off or stone to death. That is the difference.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Another thing Zeet. Gays are not welcomed in a Muslim church, but the Catholic church welcome them as any other. We have a lot of them and treat them like any other. I am not Catholic but they treat the same as a Muslim and non believer and only want us to be happy.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    And you are wrong, the Koran, is the Koran, it is absolute, the ones here knows they can't have Sharia law here even though they want it because Christian views reign because our country was based on their rules.

If it were Muslim, the Death penalty would be the norm, people hands or heads would be cut off, females had to wear clothes which would piss you off or stone to death. That is the difference.
    Dude, there are plenty of Muslims who don't want or expect the application of Sharia where they live; likewise, there are plenty of places where Muslims predominate by Sharia does not.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Oh just to let you know, Christians don't care about gays, they just don't want them married in their church. Most Catholics I know from our church would accept gay couples that are GOVERNMENT sanctioned which is they don't want to be part of government. I was raised a black Baptist (black Baptist pastors were against gay marriage in Illinois) and our church believe the same, gay marriage is acceptable, but not in our church, you won't receive communion or things likes that because that is mandate, but we will not cut off or your penis or stone you to death or decapitate you like a Muslim church for being gay. We accept you as you are even misguided and hope we can change you. This goes for the Catholic church as well. We would just pray for you and hope God is merciful on your soul if you pass. That is all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Dude, there are plenty of Muslims who don't want or expect the application of Sharia where they live; likewise, there are plenty of places where Muslims predominate by Sharia does not.
    The ones here and there are a lot of them would hurt a gay person in a second. They think it is reprehensible and an affront to their allah.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Then they are not Muslim is what I gather. This is heresay to them.

I talk to many and told them that their way is not the right way. Some I grew up with and went to Mecca. Converting them was a chore but I accomplished it. They abused their wives severely and I told them if they continue then I have to do something about it. So we had counseling sessions (mid 90's). I told you this back on the old Braves Scout board in how I had to converted them from not being Muslim and abusing or I have them put in jail. One is a state trooper for Missouri, the other top security guard at a major plant and they thank me all the time for saving them from that life style.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Are they? Muslims will kill a gay in a heartbeat, even those here. Christians will only look down on them.

If all Christians do is look down on them why are there nations that are primarily Christian that have anti-Gay laws where people can go to jail for homosexual acts?

How is "the Koran, is the Koran" but the Bible is flexible and so on so forth?

You're describing certain muslims.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Then they are not Muslim is what I gather. This is heresay to them.

I talk to many and told them that their way is not the right way. Some I grew up with and went to Mecca. Converting them was a chore but I accomplished it. They abused their wives severely and I told them if they continue then I have to do something about it. So we had counseling sessions (mid 90's). I told you this back on the old Braves Scout board in how I had to converted them from not being Muslim and abusing or I have them put in jail. One is a state trooper for Missouri, the other top security guard at a major plant and they thank me all the time for saving them from that life style.
    Yup because only Muslims abuse women.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    excerpt from twitter:

Michael Ian Black ‏@michaelianblack 8m8 minutes ago

"How dare you compare Trump to Hitler!"

*Somebody shouts "Sieg Heil" to protestor at Trump rally*

"That's just a fun expression!"
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,741 Posts
    If your going to start holding people accountable for what one random dumbass in a crowd every rally is going to have a false flager trying to get the most offensive thing they can say heard.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    that's funny how these random dumb assessment keep showing up where they show up. Life is full of Co incidences me guess'

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    that's funny how these random dumb assessment keep showing up where they show up. Life is full of Co incidences me guess'
    If I posted a tweet on here of every ridiculous thing someone from the left or right said something, the board would self-implode.

The fact you take the time to do this so frequently is so pathetic.

And yes, I have actually worked on a campaign and it was definitely a strategy to put people in crowds to make the base look stupid.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I think we are beginning to Trump move toward the third party effort. The hint-dropping has picked up steam. We'll see how he answers the "Will you support the Republican nominee?" question tonight. I won't be watching. Someone will have to fill me in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    3 or 4 days ago a poster wondered how Trump could be called a Facist. I mean Stirg, there is a nose on your face, right?

Remind me when or bring to my attention an event surrounding another candidate, of any political stripe attracted this vein of " ridiculous thing"

Are you saying this was a Ted Cruz supporter ?