Page 2 of 85 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: The Don

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Regardless of my political bias, I honestly don't find Donald Trump entertaining in the slightest.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I deceive you not: I've never been amused by his schtick, and this recent trolling of the Republican primaries hasn't changed that.

I'd say this is probably the most amusing Trump-adjacent media I've encountered.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    I mean Bill Clinton literally stuck a cigar in his intern's vagina, and yet folks are sitting there with a straight face saying that Trump is controversial.
    That really happened? I thought it was a metaphor.

But I see no controversy in what 2 consenting adults do behind closed doors. It was terrible judgement but would've never been a big deal in any country run by grownups.

Playing the Waiting Game keithlaw's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    294 Posts
    lol he got limbaugh to call republicans cuckolds

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Graham with a decently brilliant comeback:

this was an awesome response. big props to him for it.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I'd say this is probably the most amusing Trump-adjacent media I've encountered.
    Satirical news bores me (it took me 24 hours to realize that was a link).
    Last edited by Hawk; 07-24-2015 at 08:49 AM.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...-richard-nixon

Mother Jones: Donald Trump Is Channeling Richard Nixon

The Silent Majority. At a campaign rally in South Carolina on Tuesday, Trump declared, "There is something happening. You know there used to be the expression, many of you have heard it, and for some reasons for years, it hasn't been....The silent majority. There's a silent majority out there. We're tried of being pushed around, kicked around, and acting and being led by stupid people. They're stupid people." Nixon popularized the "silent majority" term in a November 1969 speech, in which he pleaded for support for his war effort in Vietnam. He referred to those Americans not protesting the war or joining the counterculture as the "great silent majority."

Law and order. Following the recent shootings in Chattanooga, Tennessee, which claimed the lives of five service-members, Trump exclaimed, "Whether it's Islamic or anything else, it's getting worse. We're losing law and order." Law and order—that was a core element of Nixon's 1968 presidential campaign. As the Nixon presidential library puts it, "In January 1968, Nixon decided to once again seek the nomination of the Republican Party for president. Portraying himself as a figure of stability in a time of national upheaval, Nixon promised a return to traditional values and 'law and order.'"

A secret plan to end the war. In a recent interview with the Des Moines Register, Trump asserted that he has a plan to destroy ISIS: "I have an absolute way of defeating ISIS, and it would be decisive and quick and it would be very beautiful. Very surgical." What is this plan? Did it involve ground troops? Drone strikes? Trump wouldn't say. He was keeping it a secret: "If I tell you right now, everyone else is going to say, 'Wow, what a great idea.' You're going to have 10 candidates going to use it and they're going to forget where it came from. Which is me." During the 1968 campaign, Nixon promoted—or, at least, allowed to stand—the impression that he had a secret plan to end the Vietnam War. But he didn't. The war continued for years after his inauguration—until Nixon and Henry Kissinger negotiated with the North Vietnamese a US withdrawal. In the meantime, thousands of US GIs died.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Believe me, having grown up during the heyday of all things Nixon and deploring him mightily, I can only say that Trump is a mental midget compared to Mr. "I am not a crook."

Trump just strikes me as a spoiled child. The problem with him is that no one ever kicked the sh*t out of him in a fist fight.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Nixon was a genius. His 68' /72' elections were two of the most strategically brilliant campaigns I've ever seen.

---

Yeah, Trump is a priggish buffoon -- but tell me something I haven't known since 1990.

When people get bored of attacking his personality then hopefully the attacks will transition to issues.

He's enjoying a Herman Cain high ... those moments before people realize that he's not actually a politician.

Then again, the electorate has amply demonstrated in recent cycles (Cain/Sanders/Paul) that it wants to embrace non-traditional leaders.
    Last edited by Hawk; 07-24-2015 at 09:59 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-24-2015)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Nixon was an evil genius. His 68' /72' elections were two of the most strategically brilliant campaigns I've ever seen.

---

Yeah, Trump is a priggish buffoon -- but tell me something I haven't known since 1990.

When people get bored of attacking his personality then hopefully the attacks will transition to issues.

He's enjoying a Herman Cain high ... those moments before people realize that he's not actually a politician.

Then again, the electorate has amply demonstrated in recent cycles (Cain/Sanders/Paul) that it wants to embrace non-traditional leaders.
    Fixed the Nixon description.

Agree on Trump. Everyone wants the straight-talkin' type until it becomes apparent that one needs to build coalitions to get things done. Trump is the current representation of the id in the American politics. I think Rand Paul differs from his father enough that he could build a coalition. Probably not a coalition I would agree with, but a coalition nonetheless.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-24-2015)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,785 Posts
    I don't like Trump's beliefs politically... but I do like his candor. I always enjoyed the show the Apprentice - though I realize they went out of their way to make him a likable character.

Having said that, if it's true he's not taking any money, and running on his own dime - I give him mad props for that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Trump has found something. It would be stupid for the GOP to ignore it. I'll tell you one guy who may benefit from this is Ted Cruz. Here's a guy that can cash in on Trump's followers once Trump finally does something too outlandish, or people just start getting cold feet. Cruz is a guy that has a much better filter, but will still throw some heaters, and he's also a guy that grumps about similar issues. Cruz is also very smart, so if you want the next Nixon, I wouldn't be surprised if it's Cruz. But of course I would hope w/o the scandal.
    thank you weso1!

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Not that anybody likely cares, but while I loathe Trump, I would much rather have him as president than Jindal, the HP lady, Carson, Cruz (2nd worst of the candidates I actually ever heard of), Christie, Huck, Rand, Perry, Santorum, or my personal fave to totally effing loathe, Scott "why yes I am a POS Walker". I don't really know enough about Rubio, though when I see on TV, etc., he still seems unsure of himself, Kasich reminds me of Newt, some of the stuff he says I like but then he'll go and make some WTF comment and makes me want to run away, and Bush is about one more Koch-sucking comment away from joining them.

On the Dem side I'm not crazy about Hillary, never have been, though I really think she would be much more like a Repub president than most of the conservatives on this forum would ever admit to. I do think it's shameful (sorry Hawk) that when somebody like Steak Sauce posts a meme on here about how our totally effed up, perverted form of "free market" (rotflmao) is ruining this country they get immediately jumped on. Bernie Sanders, as well as Elizabeth Warren are absolutely right about that, whether any of you are honest and free thinking enough to admit it, but to me while I agree with "Bern" on those few things, I see him as a "one trick pony" his foreign policy stuff will probably cost him any outside chance he may have ever had, ala Ron Paul.

In short, we're all screwed.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to include Lindsay "867-5309" Graham on my POS list. My bad.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    I do think it's shameful (sorry Hawk) that when somebody like Steak Sauce posts a meme on here about how our totally effed up, perverted form of "free market" (rotflmao) is ruining this country they get immediately jumped on.
    I don't even know what you are talking about.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    I don't even know what you are talking about.
    Shameful was one of your terms from previous discussions and I didn't want to get into trouble for copyright infringement. :)

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    910 Posts
    I do think it's shameful (sorry Hawk) that when somebody like Steak Sauce posts a meme on here about how our totally effed up, perverted form of "free market" (rotflmao) is ruining this country they get immediately jumped on.
    Maybe if some meat were provided rather than the internet's version of a bumper sticker, the response would be different...

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Satirical news bores me (it took me 24 hours to realize that was a link).
    Different strokes.

But yea: links are pretty impossible to see on this site. Paging Fearless Leader.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

20. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (07-24-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    This is all about keeping himself relevant. I hope the American people aren't stupid enough to make him president.
    I'm not voting for him, but I am at least somewhat confident he could balance a budget.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Not that anybody likely cares, but while I loathe Trump, I would much rather have him as president than Jindal, the HP lady, Carson, Cruz (2nd worst of the candidates I actually ever heard of), Christie, Huck, Rand, Perry, Santorum, or my personal fave to totally effing loathe, Scott "why yes I am a POS Walker". I don't really know enough about Rubio, though when I see on TV, etc., he still seems unsure of himself, Kasich reminds me of Newt, some of the stuff he says I like but then he'll go and make some WTF comment and makes me want to run away, and Bush is about one more Koch-sucking comment away from joining them.

On the Dem side I'm not crazy about Hillary, never have been, though I really think she would be much more like a Repub president than most of the conservatives on this forum would ever admit to. I do think it's shameful (sorry Hawk) that when somebody like Steak Sauce posts a meme on here about how our totally effed up, perverted form of "free market" (rotflmao) is ruining this country they get immediately jumped on. Bernie Sanders, as well as Elizabeth Warren are absolutely right about that, whether any of you are honest and free thinking enough to admit it, but to me while I agree with "Bern" on those few things, I see him as a "one trick pony" his foreign policy stuff will probably cost him any outside chance he may have ever had, ala Ron Paul.

In short, we're all screwed.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to include Lindsay "867-5309" Graham on my POS list. My bad.
    But tell us what you really think! Hey you talkin' about Ted Cruz?!?

I agree that Hillary would strike a very moderate course on the domestic side of things and she'll run to the right (perhaps even well to the right) of Obama on foreign policy when she gets to the general election season. She may be able to work with a Republican Congress better than Jeb.

Glad to see you like Scott Walker as much as I do. My brother-in-law works in Wisconsin and likes the guy, but then I reminded him that he equated his son (not just his son, but all the folks in attendance) with a terrorist for demonstrating at the Wisconsin State Capitol.

Was Tommy Tutone actually singing about Lindsay?

Or maybe you have it mixed up and Wilson Pickett was singing about Lindsay with "634-5789."

Last edited by 50PoundHead; 07-24-2015 at 12:52 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    Maybe if some meat were provided rather than the internet's version of a bumper sticker, the response would be different...
    They don't have Google in your corner of Dumb****istan ?