3,701 Posts

DOTW 7/23/'15: Jace Peterson

Last 7 games...
    .148 avg .233 obp .259 slugging

Last 15 games...
    .190 avg .266 obp .259 slugging

Last 30 games...
    .177 avg .271 obp .283 slugging

At what point does this become who he is and not just a slump?

I think we should move Maybin to leadoff and give Peterson 10-15 more games to right the ship. If he can't, give peraza his shot.

If we do give peraza a shot, I'd like to send Peterson down and let him learn to play multiple positions (LF, 3b, SS, 2b) so he can be a solid utility player for us

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    On one hand, Fredi is giving a rookie every chance possible to figure it out. Giving the kid confidence by keeping him atop the order.

On another hand, Hart has conceded we aren't going to compete this year, so let Jace continue to play for a few more weeks and maybe bring up Peraza.
    Forever Fredi

3. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-24-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    I think the league all around has made the adjustments to him. We need to give him the opportunity to make the adjustments to get out of it.

I wouldn't be opposed to a situation like this:

Trade Uribe to the Angels.they are looking for a power bat that can bat 5th behind trout and pujols. Their 3b just went down to injury and uribes numbers are better than his anyway.

Bring up Peraza to play 2b and bat leadoff. Move Peterson to 3b to keep him in the lineup not necessarily a permanent position. Bat him somewhere in the lineup with less pressure. Maybe 7th. This allows him to try to make the adjustments the pitchers have made against him. Worst case use Chris Johnson in a platoon for the rest of the season against lefties before we dump him this offseason

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-24-2015)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    I think the league all around has made the adjustments to him. We need to give him the opportunity to make the adjustments to get out of it.

I wouldn't be opposed to a situation like this:

Trade Uribe to the Angels.they are looking for a power bat that can bat 5th behind trout and pujols. Their 3b just went down to injury and uribes numbers are better than his anyway.

Bring up Peraza to play 2b and bat leadoff. Move Peterson to 3b to keep him in the lineup not necessarily a permanent position. Bat him somewhere in the lineup with less pressure. Maybe 7th. This allows him to try to make the adjustments the pitchers have made against him. Worst case use Chris Johnson in a platoon for the rest of the season against lefties before we dump him this offseason
    I don't know. I'm all for letting a rookie figure things out. But I'm probably the only one on the planet who would rather have had Bethancourt play regularly (although I admit his defense/offense was putrid). Jace doesn't profile at 3B that well. If you do that, then you let him become uber-Prado. I know Jace is a favorite and I like he way he plays, but he shouldn't be anywhere near leading off right now. 7th is probably good for him at this point.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Despite thethe and yeezus claiming him to be the savior, I'm not convinced on him going forward... I think Omar Infante is probably the best case scenario

Would love to be wrong

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    There's a very good chance Uribe and CJ are both traded. It would be a good time for Jace to learn 3B and increase his value as a supersub.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Despite thethe and yeezus claiming him to be the savior, I'm not convinced on him going forward... I think Omar Infante is probably the best case scenario

Would love to be wrong
    I'm with you there sturg. The world is truly rotating on an axis.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    He's always profiled as a borderline starter/utility guy. Hopefully, he reaches the starting 2B level, but we don't know yet. He certainly loses a ton of value moving to 3B, but I don't see the harm in doing that and bringing up Peraza for a couple months to see where we are at. Maybe Jace handles 3B enough to be our utility man going forward. Maybe Peraza bombs and we move Jace back to 2B.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    I think the lineup is better with Maybin either hitting leadoff for in an RBI spot like cleanup anyways. I like Jace, but he has been pretty horrible lately and I think he needs some time to figure it out. He's still learning. How about:

Markakis RF
    Perez LF
    Freeman 1B (soon)
    Maybin CF
    Uribe 3B
    AJ C
    Peterson 2B
    Simba SS

Nonetheless, I like Markakis leading off a lot and have from the beginning while I believe Maybin has shown nothing but confidence while hitting with RISP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    He's just in a slump. Like I said at the beginning of the season if he can hit .260 for us then he'll be a nice little inexpensive 2b.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post

Would love to be wrong
    Why not make an argument rather than obsessive hyperbole?
    I never said anything relatively close to what you said I said about Jace. I've said all along he's far from a guarantee and this is the perfect situation to let him play and find out what you really have in him. I definitely like a lot of what I've seen and he has a couple of major league skills. He's also just a rookie, and a little hot streak will shoot his numbers up.

But yeah, please find where I said he's any sort of guarantee - I'd love to see it. I've said the same thing all along.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Jace is only good enough to be the starter at 2B for a contending team if he is cheap and hits 7th or lower (maybe 6th if it's the Sunday scrub lineup). The second he hits arbitration he is likely gone, at which point hopefully Albies will be ready to take his place. Having said that, I think it is best to keep Peraza in AAA and move him to SS so he can be traded this offseason to help acquire a bat.

When Freeman returns I would set the lineup as:

Markakis RF
    Maybin CF
    Freeman 1B
    Uribe 3B
    KJ LF
    AJ C
    Simmons SS
    Pitcher
    Jace 2B
    Last edited by Enscheff; 07-23-2015 at 12:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    I don't think he is a leadoff man, but I think he will be a starter and should be put back in the 7th hole where he did best.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

Garmel (07-23-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Jace is only good enough to be the starter at 2B for a contending team if he is cheap and hits 7th or lower (maybe 6th if it's the Sunday scrub lineup). The second he hits arbitration he is likely gone, at which point hopefully Albies will be ready to take his place.
    You're assuming Jace won't improve at all, though. If he hits to above a .700 OPS, which is certainly possible, and can refine his base stealing while playing really good defense, he's a really solid player that may be able to be locked up for a good team deal.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Why would the last 30 days be who he is and not the whole season?

Wait, this is msstate7...haven't you been his biggest supporter?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I could see moving him down in the lineup.

But he needs to play. IMO its a travesty that we don't have a season of data on Bethancourt this year. We need as season of data on Peterson. They need to make some decisions and know if he's a long term piece. Let him play. He had a terrible slump early and then heated up.

He's a rookie. I think he's running out of gas some. B/c his D is slipping lately. It's a long year.

He is patient and hits the ball pretty hard. I think he's ideally hitting 7 or 8 for you, not first. The problem is that is the same thing you'd say about Simmons.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Why would the last 30 days be who he is and not the whole season?

Wait, this is msstate7...haven't you been his biggest supporter?
    Yes, I love Peterson, but I'm worried to say the least.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

Garmel (07-23-2015), JohnAdcox (07-24-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    4 months of data are better than 1. 3 years of data are even better and that includes minor league data properly adjusted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    561 Posts
    Don't care what anyone says...get that boy up to bat with the bases juiced and he's money. Pure money. After his heroics in San Fran earlier this season, he's earned the entire season.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    I have been on record pretty much all season long saying I don't like him at all. I think he's an awful base runner with decent defense. I think he's a little better than where he currently sits, but not as good as he was a few weeks back. He shouldn't be near the top of the order at a minimum. I am for giving him his chances until September rolls around and then call Peraza up. I think Jace has a knack for hitting with runners on and that is a very good ability to have. That's his best skill right now. Move him down to 6th or something where he can come up with more chances to knock runs in.