Thread: Uribe and KJ to NYM

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Players tend to be delusional.
    Can't expect too much. A lot of them are Dominican, after all.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

Freshmaker (07-25-2015), Gary82 (07-25-2015), jpx7 (07-25-2015), NinersSBChamps (07-25-2015), Tapate50 (07-25-2015), The Chosen One (07-25-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,900 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    If that's all they bring in a trade, just keep them. We didn't have to trade them at all. Keep them to mentor all the September callups. That alone is worth more than what we got for them.
    Lol
    Ivermectin Man

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    522 Posts
    David O'Brien ‏@DOBrienAJC 24m24 minutes ago
    Uribe had 5 cars from his fleet shipped to ATL for what ended up being 2 months with #Braves. #Baller

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Freshmaker For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-25-2015), Julio3000 (07-25-2015)

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I think Maybin may go but probably in the off season.

Maybin trade fits if we try to extend miller and wood and can only get one. Then we may find part of the wood package is a corner of. Then Maybin trade to fill hole at c or 3b unless we attach him to cj
    Maybin may turn out to be a hot commodity. I'd personally love to keep him, as he's been very good for us. Saw this a moment ago from Rosenthal though, so maybe he'd fetch us a good return.

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 15m15 minutes ago
    Exec on market: “If you’ve got a hitter, you’ve got gold. If you’ve got a pitcher, you’ve got a hot potato.” Surplus of pitchers available.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    A pretty good comparison will be to see what Oakland gets for Zobrist.
    I think Zobrist will definitely bring back more. He's a full tier above Juan Uribe in my view. His versatility gives the A's a huge market. He's a borderline candidate to receive a qualifying offer IMO, so that may factor in as well.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    I think Zobrist will definitely bring back more. He's a full tier above Juan Uribe in my view. His versatility gives the A's a huge market. He's a borderline candidate to receive a qualifying offer IMO, so that may factor in as well.
    Well, Uribe alone, yes -- but KJ + Uribe is pretty close, especially when you bring in Kelly's versatility. Plus Zobrist is double the cost.

But the qualifying offer is huge, and you know that Oakland isheavily factoring that into their asks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    But the qualifying offer is huge, and you know that Oakland isheavily factoring that into their asks.
    Yep, if I'm Oakland, I would not trade Zobrist for less than the value of the QO. It's not a slam dunk that they would give him the QO, but in a world where Michael Cuddyer gets one, I think they can convince the acquiring team that this is the price threshold that has to be exceeded. I think their return for Zobrist will be in the ballpark of what they got for Kazmir.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post
    Maybin may turn out to be a hot commodity. I'd personally love to keep him, as he's been very good for us. Saw this a moment ago from Rosenthal though, so maybe he'd fetch us a good return.

Exec on market: “If you’ve got a hitter, you’ve got gold. If you’ve got a pitcher, you’ve got a hot potato.” Surplus of pitchers available.
    But, but, but.....you can never have too much pitching!

And....we will build our offense through trading away our second and third tier pitching!

Times change. The smart change early with them.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I say we keep Maybin n slide him over to left. Maybin, Mallex, n Markakis has a nice ring to it
    Of course we'd have to upgrade 3b and catcher since we'd have no pop in the OF.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

if he is we should strike why the iron is hot...i'm not a long term believer....but we don't have to trade him...we should only trade him if we get an offer we can't refuse IMO. Otherwise wait till offseason where more people are planning.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    But, but, but.....you can never have too much pitching!

And....we will build our offense through trading away our second and third tier pitching!

Times change. The smart change early with them.
    Trading pitching for hitting is a fine thing to do, whether they can get anyone for that is another story.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I say we keep Maybin n slide him over to left. Maybin, Mallex, n Markakis has a nice ring to it
    Of course we'd have to upgrade 3b and catcher since we'd have no pop in the OF.
    Let's see if Mallex can get his average above .215 and OBP above .248 at Gwinnett before we plug him in in CF next spring.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (07-25-2015), jpx7 (07-25-2015), NinersSBChamps (07-25-2015)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    This just means more playing time for CJ. I am okay with this. We sent cash too? The deal doesn't really make sense since these prospects we got probably are nothing better than our current group. But hey it doesn't make the slightest difference anyway.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    This is exactly what I didn't want the Braves to do with these trade pieces...trade them 1 for 1 and acquire C level prospects. I would have much rather the KJ/Uribe package (the most offense this current roster can offer a contender) bring back a single B prospect than 2 C level prospects. Maybe that type of deal wasn't available, so who knows.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    This is exactly what I didn't want the Braves to do with these trade pieces...trade them 1 for 1 and acquire C level prospects. I would have much rather the KJ/Uribe package (the most offense this current roster can offer a contender) bring back a single B prospect than 2 C level prospects. Maybe that type of deal wasn't available, so who knows.
    if we were in the met's place would you want to give up Mallex for KJ/URIBE? I'd be pissed.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Has anyone seen the projection on free agents' status (Class A, Class B, etc.). Wondered what, if any, draft picks would have been at hand if the Braves had merely allowed Uribe and Kelly to become free agents.

Playing the Waiting Game keithlaw's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    294 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Has anyone seen the projection on free agents' status (Class A, Class B, etc.). Wondered what, if any, draft picks would have been at hand if the Braves had merely allowed Uribe and Kelly to become free agents.
    Class A and B free agents don't exist anymore. We would have only gotten a pick for them if we had offered them a qualifying offer, which would be a 1 year deal for about $15 million.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Let's see if Mallex can get his average above .215 and OBP above .248 at Gwinnett before we plug him in in CF next spring.
    Yup. I'd like to see both Mallex and Peraza have a stretch of at least 200 ABs in AAA where they put up an OBP of .330 or higher before bringing them up. Bethancourt was counted on too soon.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 07-25-2015 at 01:13 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-25-2015)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    532 Posts
    Trading them to the NYM is almost like trading them to the Cardinals. We only have 7 games left with NYM, and before last night, had 6 left with St. Louis.

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I'm on board with the overall direction that Hart and company are taking this team. I'm just very surprised and disappointed with yesterday's trade. It's the timing and circumstances more than anything else. It has that feel of the rug being pulled out from under the team. The Braves were coming off a good series with the Dodgers and eagerly anticipating the return of Freddie Freeman very soon. Our chances for the playoffs are not very good, but there is still somewhat of a legitimate chance, especially with Freeman. Then, minutes before the beginning of a tough series they go and give away two of our most important players with a week to go before the deadline for a very modest return. That's, of course, not to mention helping the team just a few games ahead of us in our own division. It just seems so unnecessary. Why this particular trade at this exact moment? It's hard to see the players taking it as anything other than the front office officially giving up on this year's team. We all understand their chances of making the playoffs are very slim, but there is never anything wrong with trying as long as you're not doing it at the expense of the future. To hang around in the wildcard or even division race would be the kind of experience that can only help our young players.

I'm a big John Hart fan going back to his days as a minor league manager here in Charlotte where he won a Southern League Championship with the Charlotte O's. I think he's done an amazing job of restocking the minor league system in a very short period of time. For the moment, though, this hurts my faith in him a little bit. I know this trade isn't important in the overall scheme of things, but I just feel like he let his players down with this one.

I'm still holding out hope there might be some other move made that would put this trade in a different light, cause it to make more sense.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CarolinaBravo For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (07-25-2015), Garmel (07-25-2015), Hawk (07-25-2015)