Page 102 of 107 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,040 of 2133

Thread: Farewell to Wood, Peraza, Jimmy Johns, and Avilans.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    Bad news on the $ the Braves are sending the Dodgers. It's $7.45m to be paid on Dec 10. So Braves are basically paying all of Arroyo's salary. This maneuver takes Arroyo's money off the books for 2016, at least. I'm afraid the trade goes back to "Wednesday night bad" instead of "Thursday afternoon kinda bad".

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ae80b...braves-marlins
    It helps just as much because the money spent this year doesn't hurt us at all, but the $4.5MM we would have had to spend in 2016 to buyout his option is now freed up for spending elsewhere.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    It's still 7.5m for an organization funded by a cheap Liberty Media ownership group. We pay Arroyo's salary, don't mAke them take Johnson's salary, give away Peraza, and deal a young starter for an aging, unproven 3B.

So how again does this "allow us to do other things?" How does this extend our window to compete? Pure idiocy.

Hopefully Hart and Coppy are out before they screw up further.

We dealt Heyward, Upton, Kimbrel, Gattis and Wood. We received One young stud in return. One. Think on that.

Shelby-#2 long term starter at most.

Jenkins-3/4 starter at best

Wisler-mid rotation starter

Folty-destined for late inning role

Ruiz-struggling bad in AA

Thurman-4/5 starter profile at best

Jace-still a question mark if he can be our 2B (and we gave away the back up plan there)

Peterson-potential until the wreck

Fried-huge question mark on how he returns from TJ

Mallex-back end top 100 prospect at best. Big question marks on his swing.

Olivera-30 year old question mark

Bird-reliever profile

Arguably, the best deal was acquiring Touki, but who knows what he will become. And we had a chance to improve that deal with the Dodgers paying Arroyo's salary, and we screwed that up.

Tell me again about this fantastic rebuild.
    Last edited by SidSlid92; 08-01-2015 at 12:47 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    I love all of this optimism! Because the pessimism is really going to help things.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SidSlid92 View Post
    It's still 7.5m for an organization funded by a cheap Liberty Media ownership group. We pay Arroyo's salary, don't mAke them take Johnson's salary, give away Peraza, and deal a young starter for an aging, unproven 3B.

So how again does this "allow us to do other things?" How does this extend our window to compete? Pure idiocy.

Hopefully Hart and Coppy are out before they screw up further.

We dealt Heyward, Upton, Kimbrel, Gattis and Wood. We received One young stud in return. One. Think on that.

Shelby-#2 long term starter at most.

Jenkins-3/4 starter at best

Wisler-mid rotation starter

Folty-destined for late inning role

Ruiz-struggling bad in AA

Thurman-4/5 starter profile at best

Jace-still a question mark if he can be our 2B (and we gave away the back up plan there)

Peterson-potential until the wreck

Fried-huge question mark on how he returns from TJ

Mallex-back end top 100 prospect at best. Big question marks on his swing.

Olivera-30 year old question mark

Bird-reliever profile

Arguably, the best deal was acquiring Touki, but who knows what he will become. And we had a chance to improve that deal with the Dodgers paying Arroyo's salary, and we screwed that up.

Tell me again about this fantastic rebuild.
    Everyone of your pessimistic statements can be rephrased to look at potential rather than risk. Really makes things look a lot better ;-)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mfree80 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-03-2015), Knucksie (08-03-2015)

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Also delt Upton, Melvin. As key a factor as any positive asset.

It's a lot of bad luck with the trades and FAs. Retrospect it is obvious but at the time it wasn't black and white against with hardly any move.

Even the Elvis Andrus thing now as the #1 hated loss at the time is hard to get worked up about. He has not ascended at all in recent years. It's actually the opposite.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperVisor View Post
    Also delt Upton, Melvin. As key a factor as any positive asset.

It's a lot of bad luck with the trades and FAs. Retrospect it is obvious but at the time it wasn't black and white against with hardly any move.

Even the Elvis Andrus thing now as the #1 hated loss at the time is hard to get worked up about. He has not ascended at all in recent years. It's actually the opposite.

I really hated that deal at a number of levels, but Teixeira continues to out-perform all the guys used to acquire him.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

gcbraves (08-03-2015), JohnAdcox (08-01-2015), Tapate50 (08-02-2015)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    The money shouldn't make a difference for any of us this year, as long as it wasn't prohibiting us from progress next year
    I guess it depends on when the Braves begin their fiscal year. MLB begins theirs November 1, so I'm assuming the Braves fall in similarly.

It's possible that the Braves see some advantage behind including that money in 2016 expenses. I suspect there's some creative accounting at play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    BA ranked the prospects traded at the deadline. Olivera was #1 and Peraza #4. Bird was about 25th but is noted to be a high risk high reward player who could crack our top 10 in the future.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/major...aded-deadline/
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Also from BA about the trade and also saying the Braves were very interested in trading Jurrjens/Hanson before they fell off a cliff.

J.J. Cooper: If Alex Wood is what Alex Wood has been, then this trade is puzzling to me. I personally understand trading Jose Peraza, a very solid player who is close to big league ready, but Peraza can’t play SS for the Braves and as a CF or 2B his offensive value is tied a whole lot to hitting for high average as he’s not a high walks guy and he has no power. So trading him to get Olivera back? Makes sense. Wood seems to me to be a young cost-controlled mid-rotation starter. Unless the Braves are confident that his stuff is going to back up a la Jair Jurrjens or Tommy Hanson then this seems puzzling. But then, the Braves were very interested to trade both of those guys in the year before their stuff fell apart so they have some track record of selling high or trying to sell high in the past.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    [/B]

I really hated that deal at a number of levels, but Teixeira continues to out-perform all the guys used to acquire him.
    If ownership would have just put up the money to sign him that would have been a brilliant trade.
    Natural Immunity Croc

13. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-03-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Also from BA about the trade and also saying the Braves were very interested in trading Jurrjens/Hanson before they fell off a cliff.

J.J. Cooper: If Alex Wood is what Alex Wood has been, then this trade is puzzling to me. I personally understand trading Jose Peraza, a very solid player who is close to big league ready, but Peraza can’t play SS for the Braves and as a CF or 2B his offensive value is tied a whole lot to hitting for high average as he’s not a high walks guy and he has no power. So trading him to get Olivera back? Makes sense. Wood seems to me to be a young cost-controlled mid-rotation starter. Unless the Braves are confident that his stuff is going to back up a la Jair Jurrjens or Tommy Hanson then this seems puzzling. But then, the Braves were very interested to trade both of those guys in the year before their stuff fell apart so they have some track record of selling high or trying to sell high in the past.
    I think the sell-high aspect was a big reason this trade happened. I wanted it since the start of the season acknowledging that Alex will probably have another two seasons of stellar pitching. Its always better to sell early as oppposed to late.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I think the sell-high aspect was a big reason this trade happened. I wanted it since the start of the season acknowledging that Alex will probably have another two seasons of stellar pitching. Its always better to sell early as oppposed to late.
    I haven't seen anyone yet who has an issue with the fact that we traded Wood.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    BA ranked the prospects traded at the deadline. Olivera was #1 and Peraza #4. Bird was about 25th but is noted to be a high risk high reward player who could crack our top 10 in the future.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/major...aded-deadline/
    They're just going off their midseason top 50, in which Olivera was 16.

But I still just can't figure out why they even list Olivera as a prospect; he's just not anywhere close to the same as any of the other guys. Obviously he has yet to play in the majors, and they're basing that value off what he should be right away, but holy cow, I would hope he's better right away than everybody else on that list.

I would much rather have a guy like Phillips, though.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I haven't seen anyone yet who has an issue with the fact that we traded Wood.
    I do. I expect him to be the best pitcher out of the Miller/Wood/Teheran group. (not to mention the starting prospects we have)
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

18. The Following User Says Thank You to gilesfan For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (08-03-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    Exactly how are we seeing that?
    I've started a different thread that has some quotes from Hart and others within the industry about how difficult it has become to find good hitting talent.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    I do. I expect him to be the best pitcher out of the Miller/Wood/Teheran group. (not to mention the starting prospects we have)
    I think even you would agree, though, that trading Wood could have been a good move for us.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I think even you would agree, though, that trading Wood could have been a good move for us.
    Certainly, but depends on the return obviously. A long term bat would have been understandable. Now we have a short term bat and a hole in the pitching staff.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to gilesfan For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (08-03-2015)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    [/B]

2012 through 2014 would have been tough to sit through though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Moving Wood makes it more likely that we will be buying extremely high on Price or your favorite Greinke.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Certainly, but depends on the return obviously. A long term bat would have been understandable. Now we have a short term bat and a hole in the pitching staff.
    Calling Olivera "short term" is a subjective assessment. He is signed for 5 more years... making him more "long term." I know you are making an assumption that he will be injured and not be good in the long term. My point is that a player signed for 5 years is not, by definition "short term."