Page 91 of 107 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,820 of 2133

Thread: Farewell to Wood, Peraza, Jimmy Johns, and Avilans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Are they factoring in the Braves are a couple years away from contending at best? For all the stockpiling of pitching we have been doing, we are going to have to hit the FA/trade market to find a starter or 2 next year unless you want to go into the season with a top 3 of Miller/Teheran/Wisler
    Braves have a bunch of money available and probably even more when they move into the park. I'm all in now for signing Grienke long term.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,705 Posts
    Are they factoring in the Braves are a couple years away from contending at best? For all the stockpiling of pitching we have been doing, we are going to have to hit the FA/trade market to find a starter or 2 next year unless you want to go into the season with a top 3 of Miller/Teheran/Wisler
    Think minor pitches here next season?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Think minor pitches here next season?
    I dont think it makes sense to have Minor in your plans at all. If he ends up being healthy then yiu have a good problem.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    So based on those interviews it seems pretty clear that Olivera is a significant piece in the deal. What confuses me is that people are railing this deal and have not seen Olivera at all. Ideally I would have liked what is perceived to be more talent in this trade but I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to experts that have actually scouted these players
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Ivermectin Man

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (07-31-2015), thethe (07-31-2015)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    So based on those interviews it seems pretty clear that Olivera is a significant piece in the deal. What confuses me is that people are railing this deal and have not seen Olivera at all. Ideally I would have liked what is perceived to be more talent in this trade but I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to experts that have actually scouted these players
    Most of the complaints are not the talent level of Olivera. It's that he's 30 years old with zero track record in the United States and has been nothing but injured for 2-3 years. He would be fine if you didn't give up a top 50 prospect and a top of the rotation type 24 year old starter.

Would anyone trade that package for Justin Turner? I sure as heck wouldn't and Turner is the same age, has a track record, and hasn't been injured the last couple years. Justin Turners production (overall; not 2015) is essentially what people are projecting for Olivera.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    As the dust settles it becomes more clear why this trade was made.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Most of the complaints are not the talent level of Olivera. It's that he's 30 years old with zero track record in the United States and has been nothing but injured for 2-3 years. He would be fine if you didn't give up a top 50 prospect and a top of the rotation type 24 year old starter.

Would anyone trade that package for Justin Turner? I sure as heck wouldn't and Turner is the same age, has a track record, and hasn't been injured the last couple years. Justin Turners production (overall; not 2015) is essentially what people are projecting for Olivera.
    Would we have turner for 5 years at 32 million?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    I didn't really put two and two together on the Marlins end. They gave up Latos to get rid of Morse's contract and in return only get 3 crappy prospects?

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Would we have turner for 5 years at 32 million?
    We would have Turner for at least this year and next. This year at 2.5 million (pro rated) and next year as Arby 3. I don't want to pay for 34/35 year old seasons so that's not a good thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    My sense based on the Braves' actions is that they will be positioning themselves to contend for a wild card spot in 2016. 2017 or 2018 may be the apex they're shooting for, but they seem intent on making moves to help the 2016 club contend. Also, I think it's near a given that they will sign a veteran SP this offseason. I don't think it will be of the ace variety, but at least a number 3 type. They're sitting on a mountain of cash right now, which is exciting . . . and nerve-wracking.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    As the dust settles it becomes more clear why this trade was made.
    You're hilarious

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Braves have a bunch of money available and probably even more when they move into the park. I'm all in now for signing Grienke long term.
    Some people make it sound like we are landing one of the top FA pitchers in the offseason...yes, we have the money to do it but even if you're all in on Price/Grienke, etc there's absolutely no guarantee they will come to Atlanta...and enough with all this hometown discount BS, I doubt thats gonna happen and it shouldn't...Price/Grienke are gonna get 200 million plus wherever they go, when's the last time the Braves dropped that kind of scratch on a player

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I'm not in love with the deal, but this is pretty good information. Every player is different and this comparison is a bit off-the-wall, but Peraza's approach at the plate makes Jeff Francoeur look patient. I get that he's a ball-in-play guy who plays to his speed, but if exhibited any patience at the plate, his value would soar. He's likely a plus defender at SS, so he won't have to do much offensively and I kind of wonder if he will. He's young, but it's difficult to learn at the major league level, which is why I kind of scratched my head when the Braves shot him up through the system so quickly.

There's no discounting that the Braves are taking a huge risk here, but we'll just have to see how it plays out.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

NYCBrave (07-31-2015)

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    You're hilarious
    He's basing the value of the trade based on "IF AND WHEN" Alex Wood has his second Tommy John...the Braves basically devalued their own player and then threw Peraza into the deal to make up for the signing bonus that the Dodgers have already paid Olivera...so by thethe logic the Braves traded Wood before he gets his second TJ, BUT trade for a guy with injury history whose elbow may be hanging on by a ligament

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveAKAslick View Post
    He's basing the value of the trade based on "IF AND WHEN" Alex Wood has his second Tommy John...the Braves basically devalued their own player and then threw Peraza into the deal to make up for the signing bonus that the Dodgers have already paid Olivera...so by thethe logic the Braves traded Wood before he gets his second TJ, BUT trade for a guy with injury history whose elbow may be hanging on by a ligament
    To be fair, the Dodgers still owed Olivera two installments of his bonus... that they agreed to pick up in the deal.

Not trying to justify the trade, bc I hate it. But they pick up a good chunk of money owed to Olivera

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    I heard Kiley McDaniel talking about the deal tonight. His comment is that Olivera, even at his age, with his contract and value as a hitter, is more valuable than any of the top 100 prospects other than maybe Byron Buxton and Kris Bryant at the start of the year. Kiley says he is a player who will hit at least 15-20 home runs, hit for average, get on base, and be at least average defensively.
    Yup, again: the only people thinking the Braves got hosed are on this message board, surprise surprise. Plenty of experts think it was a good trade for all sides and totally see why we did it. Olivera is a valuable piece, especially when you don't have to pay the bonus.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveAKAslick View Post
    Some people make it sound like we are landing one of the top FA pitchers in the offseason...yes, we have the money to do it but even if you're all in on Price/Grienke, etc there's absolutely no guarantee they will come to Atlanta...and enough with all this hometown discount BS, I doubt thats gonna happen and it shouldn't...Price/Grienke are gonna get 200 million plus wherever they go, when's the last time the Braves dropped that kind of scratch on a player
    Braves are in a new position financially. I'm not anticipating any hometown discounts. Braves can pay Grienke 25 per year and still have a load of cash to play with.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    Yup, again: the only people thinking the Braves got hosed are on this message board, surprise surprise. Plenty of experts think it was a good trade for all sides and totally see why we did it. Olivera is a valuable piece, especially when you don't have to pay the bonus.
    I've heard negatives from a lot of people on both ways. I don't take a lot of our opinions heavily because we are biased whether we think we are or not. But, I've seen the same thing. For the amount of money that we got this guy for, a lot experts seem to think we did really well.

Most people also aren't anywhere near as high on Wood as we are.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    To be fair, the Dodgers still owed Olivera two installments of his bonus... that they agreed to pick up in the deal.

Not trying to justify the trade, bc I hate it. But they pick up a good chunk of money owed to Olivera
    How much did the Braves end up kicking in on Arroyo?