Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Oh the Millennials Won't Like This One!

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    Looks like the watchers of Stewart were on about the same level as Limbaugh's listeners. I'd be really proud of that.
    I honestly think the results of that poll can largely be explained by a kind of selection-bias: people who choose things like The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, Jim Lehrer, The O'Reilly Factor, or Rush Limbaugh as habitual avenues of entertainment tend to simply care more about those issues being quizzed in the aforementioned poll, and thus naturally will care to keep themselves abreast of their particulars, irrespective of their ideological biases.
    Last edited by jpx7; 08-01-2015 at 12:27 PM.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (08-01-2015), weso1 (08-01-2015)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I think this problem speaks to the fact that your problem (at least politically) is more with the reception of Stewart—how (segments of) his audience digest and excrete telecasts of The Daily Show—than with Stewart himself and the content of The Daily Show.
    To an extent, but I'm also contending that the quality of said excretions is partially a result of Stewart's treatment of the issues.

I'm also pretty sure you haven't watched much of The Daily Show if you think its only comedic treatment of John Boehner (or any other governmental figure, for that matter) is comprised of "a troped menagerie of media which shows him crying or misspeaking as a method of explanation".
    I mean ...
    http://www.alternet.org/jon-stewart-...ing-kissy-face

---

After showing some of the recent news coverage of the vote, President Obama praising Congress for finally coming together and getting something done, and some of crying Boehner's press conference, Stewart let Boehner have it.

STEWART: Look at this man! It's unbelievable! Imagine if normal people reacted this way to the dutiful executing of basic occupational tasks.

---

---

And the people be like, 'John Boehner's a pussy -- look, I saw it ... in complete abstract and with no commentary beyond face-value ridicule.'
    Last edited by Hawk; 08-01-2015 at 12:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    That tortoise/carrot 'shop is just funny imagery, though, plain and simple.

And as he's said ad nauseum: he's a comedian. The comedian's mandate is to go for the joke (within reason, and with certain sensitivities). If people aren't taking his work as such, but instead for trenchant political science and public policy analysis, what else can he do but disclaim it? I guess he could just up and quit, to quiet criticisms like yours ... oh wait, that's exactly what he's doing.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    And as he's said ad nauseum: he's a comedian. The comedian's mandate is to go for the joke (within reason, and with certain sensitivities). If people aren't taking his work as such, but instead for trenchant political science and public policy analysis, what else can he do but disclaim it? I guess he could just up and quit, to quiet criticisms like yours ... oh wait, that's exactly what he's doing.
    He's a 'comedian' that interviews sitting Presidents, decision makers/influencers, societal icons -- I think there's some burden to walk a straighter line. But that's just me, I accept that.

Anyways, I think that he's smart to quit on a semi-high; he's been losing the key demographic for years, but can still ultimately use his celebrity and intellect to make an impact elsewhere. Maybe he goes into politics.
    Last edited by Hawk; 08-01-2015 at 02:02 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

weso1 (08-01-2015)

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    He's a 'comedian' that interviews sitting Presidents, decision makers/influencers, societal icons -- I think there's some burden to walk a straighter line. But that's just me, I accept that.

Anyways, I think that he's smart to quit on a semi-high; he's been losing the key demographic for years, but can still ultimately use his celebrity and intellect to make an impact elsewhere. Maybe he goes into politics.

I've seen many people in here and all over social media linking to Stewart and acting like he's a worthy news source.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Krgrecw For This Useful Post:

weso1 (08-01-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    He's [...] semi-high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    I've seen many people in here and all over social media linking to Stewart and acting like he's a worthy news source.
    Again, that's not on him, that's on (a segment of) the audience and on the people with whom you're discoursing.

I'm reading a lot of projection here masquerading as applicable criticism.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    I honestly think the results of that poll can largely be explained by a kind of selection-bias: people who choose things like The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, Jim Lehrer, The O'Reilly Factor, or Rush Limbaugh as habitual avenues of entertainment tend to simply care more about those issues being quizzed in the aforementioned poll, and thus naturally will care to keep themselves abreast of their particulars, irrespective of their ideological biases.

Yep.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    O'Reilly is a turd.
    I'm still an O'Reilly fan. I get the grumps, I really do, but I strongly believe he continues to deliver great interviews on both sides. His interview with Trump was solid.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    I like Maher, mainly because his show doesn't ever seem to be entirely about him -- he's got the panel, and just kind of kicks back and tosses in the occasional glib haymaker before stepping back out of the ring with nary a bruised knuckle.
    Have you watched Maher lately? He's become as bad as O'Reilly at dominating the conversation and not giving his guests a chance to speak, particularly if he disagrees with them. The only people who go on his show are experienced politicalspeak guests or are really good talkers. He's one of the rudest talk show hosts in TV history, imo.

But I still watch it for the sport of it and enjoy the New Rules segment. I also enjoy the last guest, who is usually a comic or writer.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (08-05-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Bumping for 57's sake since he thinks he's taken Paglia out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Maintained solid drunk for the final episode. Personal AMA now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Looks like the watchers of Stewart were on about the same level as Limbaugh's listeners. I'd be really proud of that.
    I didn't watch The Daily Show regularly but when I did it was for the comedy.