Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 8/4/2015 TUESDAY MINORS FINAL ... Bird watching in ATL; Hessman Minors HR King

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,325 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Mallex 2-4, 2b and sb

Hopefully he's bout to take off. Would love for him to push for a job in ST
    Not only that his range factor on defense at Gwinnett is 3.00. That is insanely good.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Garmel For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (08-04-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Its funny how quick people are to diminish Mallex based on less than a half of season worth of AB's in AAA at 22 years of age. I swear it seems like there are a grouping of posters who are hoping that all players that John Hart acquired in the offseason fail. Mallex will be fine and will be in the OF at some point next season for ATL.
    Natural Immunity Croc

4. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

BoneThrower (08-04-2015)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    Not only that his range factor on defense at Gwinnett is 3.00. That is insanely good.
    I'm not doubting that Mallex could be a plus defender, but 34 games is probably not a good sample size to use defensive metrics.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    I'm not doubting that Mallex could be a plus defender, but 34 games is probably not a good sample size to use defensive metrics.
    I think someone with his speed will be a positive defensive outfielder in his first few years. Nothing crazy but definitely a positive.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts
    You can say its funny people are annointing a guy who had a good half season. His good half counts, but his bad half is just adjustments. I see a 5'9 guy who is a slap hitter. Good pitchers tend to knock the bat out of those type of hitters. I said Peraza was overrated and now everyone saw the light after the trade. Mallex is the same type of slap hitter but with a weaker hit tool than Peraza. He is a 4th OFer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atl717 View Post
    You can say its funny people are annointing a guy who had a good half season. His good half counts, but his bad half is just adjustments. I see a 5'9 guy who is a slap hitter. Good pitchers tend to knock the bat out of those type of hitters. I said Peraza was overrated and now everyone saw the light after the trade. Mallex is the same type of slap hitter but with a weaker hit tool than Peraza. He is a 4th OFer.
    Mallex Smith has actually been good for the last 2+ years in the minor leagues. Nobody is projecting him to be an all star. But some of us believe his speed and on base skills will translate well to a good major league starting CF at the leadoff spot.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts
    I think he can be useful. But I am not making room for that guy. I think we can do better. Nothing wrong with being a 4th OFer. He hasnt done anything in the minors that suggests he will be an above average regular in the bigs. We can't just give him the CF job. That is silly, imo.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    149 Posts
    I have only seen Mallex in two games this year. He has plenty of range. His throws weren't awesome but hey, it was just two games.

I look forward to seeing what Peraza does in the bigs (hard to say how he turns out until he gets his chance).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,705 Posts
    I think he can be useful. But I am not making room for that guy. I think we can do better. Nothing wrong with being a 4th OFer. He hasnt done anything in the minors that suggests he will be an above average regular in the bigs. We can't just give him the CF job. That is silly, imo.
    I have no idea if Mallex will be our cf or not, but you don't either. The kid dominated AA and seems to figuring out AAA now.

Last 10 games...
    .325 avg 4 bb 5 k 8 sb

I know this is a small sample size, but it's his last 10 games in a new league. He proved he can hit in AA, so I think this is a sign he's coming around.

Oh and our scouts must like mallex better than peraza considering peraza was taken out of cf upon mallex's arrival

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone is "given" anything in the major leagues.

Lot of folks thought Blanco was garbage too, he is a highly effective role player on a championship club. I'd like to have had him here. I think Mallex has a little better overall game?
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    By the way, there is a pretty large gap in legit pitching prospects in our system. We better hope the next wave (Simmons, Winkler, Paco, Viz, etc.) don't flame out, because there doesn't seem to be reinforcements coming anytime soon. AA and AAA aren't looking like much help.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    By the way, there is a pretty large gap in legit pitching prospects in our system. We better hope the next wave (Simmons, Winkler, Paco, Viz, etc.) don't flame out, because there doesn't seem to be reinforcements coming anytime soon. AA and AAA aren't looking like much help.
    It is a paradox. We have greatly reinforced the depth of the farm system and now have one of the higher ranked system. But it isn't likely to produce much that will be helping the major league team anytime soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    It is a paradox. We have greatly reinforced the depth of the farm system and now have one of the higher ranked system. But it isn't likely to produce much that will be helping the major league team anytime soon.
    Going to go light thethe's torch for the angry mob to find Frank Wren after lunch. Let you know how it goes.
    Ivermectin Man

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    I'm not particularly worried about our relief prospects. Bullpen help is usually readily available if we are suddenly contending next year, and even if all of those players you listed flame out, we do have a few intriguing relief prospects like Salazar, Cabrera, Zavala, Roney and Hursh. Not to mention some of our SP prospects that might end up finding their role in the bullpen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    I'm not particularly worried about our relief prospects. Bullpen help is usually readily available if we are suddenly contending next year, and even if all of those players you listed flame out, we do have a few intriguing relief prospects like Salazar, Cabrera, Zavala, Roney and Hursh. Not to mention some of our SP prospects that might end up finding their role in the bullpen.
    That's a good point about starting pitching prospects ending up in the pen. I believe the majority of major league relievers spent significant parts of their minor league careers as starters. Guys like Jenkins, Janas, Simms as well as the trio we just got from the Mets and Dodgers (Gant, Whalen, Bird) could end up in the major league pen.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Chico (08-05-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    Hursh with another good appearance. In his last 5 appearances (all in relief) he's put up 1 R, 4 H, 1 BB, 6 Ks, in 6 IP.

As a reliever overall he has a 2.25 ERA in 12 IP with 9 Ks, 2 BBs, and 11 H. His BAA as a starter was .338. As a reliever its been .229. His WHIP as a starter was 1.85 and is 1.08 as a reliever.

We're talking a small sample size here but he's starting to show a little bit of promise as a reliever. Got off to a bit of a rough start out of the pen but hopefully he's starting to adjust to the new role. If he keeps it up you might see him get a call up in September.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

Chico (08-05-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Hursh with another good appearance. In his last 5 appearances (all in relief) he's put up 1 R, 4 H, 1 BB, 6 Ks, in 6 IP.

As a reliever overall he has a 2.25 ERA in 12 IP with 9 Ks, 2 BBs, and 11 H. His BAA as a starter was .338. As a reliever its been .229. His WHIP as a starter was 1.85 and is 1.08 as a reliever.

We're talking a small sample size here but he's starting to show a little bit of promise as a reliever. Got off to a bit of a rough start out of the pen but hopefully he's starting to adjust to the new role. If he keeps it up you might see him get a call up in September.
    At this point if we get a MLB contribution from him, its a win. Set up guy is about his ceiling?
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    At this point if we get a MLB contribution from him, its a win. Set up guy is about his ceiling?
    I agree that MLB contribution would be a success. He was a huge reach where we took him.

Set up man is probably realistic if he can adjust to life out of the pen. He still has the good fastball which will play better out of the pen with his lack of offspeed stuff.

Super optimistic would have him be a middle of the road closer. His fastball is good enough but he'd have to develop one of his offspeed pitches. If he can take that curve and make it a nasty pitch then he could become a closer.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    Riley was also on MLB Pipeline's all prospect team at 3B.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/140872...t-team-of-week

There are three native Mississippians on that list in Austin Riley, Jacoby Jones, and Bobby Bradley.

Maybe so you big homer. But, but, but Riley was a stretch!!!
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone is "given" anything in the major leagues.

Lot of folks thought Blanco was garbage too, he is a highly effective role player on a championship club. I'd like to have had him here. I think Mallex has a little better overall game?
    Was thinking about Blanco as a potential comp for Mallex the entire game last night. I do think Mallex will steal more bases and Blanco has more pop, but if Smith turns into a Blanco/Otis/Deion hybrid and can stick for 6 years, he'd be very valuable IMO.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?