Page 743 of 1150 FirstFirst ... 243643693733741742743744745753793843 ... LastLast
Results 14,841 to 14,860 of 22998

Thread: REAL FOOTBALL Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,902 Posts
    If I owned a NFL franchise right now I'd sell tomorrow.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    There are probably 200 kids that would assume the risk. I wouldnt be concerned over lack of players.

Most kids cant afford to pass up an NFL salary.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    NFL has been on a downward trend for some time. They're still making a ton of money. But interest and skepticism has been growing. Baseball and soccer are on the coming up in the 20 something market while NFL has been stalling.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    There are probably 200 kids that would assume the risk. I wouldnt be concerned over lack of players.

Most kids cant afford to pass up an NFL salary.
    I agree with you overall, NFL is going into a different issue than players quitting and it's terrible PR. Parents pulling their kids will be the biggest one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,902 Posts
    The level of talent at the NFL level is going to be significantly downgraded in 10-20 years. Like Zito said, not as many youths are playing.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Mettenberger is bad and he won't make it through a full season healthy anyways. I don't watch college football but I know a lot of big time LSU fans and they don't even believe in him. It should tell NFL teams a lot that even LSU homers think he sucks. That didn't stop the Raiders from taking JaWalrus or the Chiefs taking Tyson Jackson.
    Mett actually played very well for a rookie. Injuries are a concern with any QB obviously.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,996 Posts
    Almost wonder if this wave of young players retiring is some sort of silent protest that the NFL needs take better care of their players, current and former.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    It's no coincidence that it's 49ers players up and retiring.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,299 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Almost wonder if this wave of young players retiring is some sort of silent protest that the NFL needs take better care of their players, current and former.
    Protest? I find that disingenuous. People don't change their career (especially one that's essentially impossible to break into) just as silent protest to the meanie boss.

This concussion problem is a real issue that will never go away. This is more than a trend.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,299 Posts
    I wouldn't worry about the NFL as a whole just yet. The game is flushed with more talent right now than it ever has had. That's what happens when the talent pool for all North American athletes is growing fast and the number of player positions has remained fix for all sports.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Protest? I find that disingenuous. People don't change their career (especially one that's essentially impossible to break into) just as silent protest to the meanie boss.

This concussion problem is a real issue that will never go away. This is more than a trend.
    I don't feel like its the only reason. Obviously they care about their health. Just something I saw mentioned somewhere else (not from any credible source, just internet forums) and thought it was interesting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I wouldn't worry about the NFL as a whole just yet. The game is flushed with more talent right now than it ever has had. That's what happens when the talent pool for all North American athletes is growing fast and the number of player positions has remained fix for all sports.
    The NFL's PR image is what matters most. Players retiring won't effect it and I think the effect won't be felt for quite some time. Their issue is containing the fear of parents letting their kids play. There will always be enough talent to keep the NFL more than afloat. Texas and Florida alone could probably source the NFL. But you have to fear what happens when schools start getting targeted. NFL can protect itself but I think that we will see the league change and have to recruit kids like European Soccer does.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,299 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    The NFL's PR image is what matters most. Players retiring won't effect it and I think the effect won't be felt for quite some time. Their issue is containing the fear of parents letting their kids play. There will always be enough talent to keep the NFL more than afloat. Texas and Florida alone could probably source the NFL. But you have to fear what happens when schools start getting targeted. NFL can protect itself but I think that we will see the league change and have to recruit kids like European Soccer does.
    Malcolm Gladwell talked about this issue and he described it as the "ghettofication" of football. His hypothesis is that football participation rates will continue to decline in higher income areas, but that in poorer areas, like the South, football will remain popular. It's essentially the reverse of baseball.

As for viewers, as long as the league exists people watch. I wouldn't be concerned if I'm the NFL.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I wouldn't either. Except that I don't think it's gonna grow from where it's at. Maybe on a global scale it can, but I think it's peaked in the US. I can honestly say I watch way less legal NFL than I ever have and it's declined for years. I used to be an all day every Sunday that I could type. Now I may watch it on Sunday if it's a quality matchup. If it becomes a blowout I turn it off. This is of course just one example of one person. But I do think the overall demographic is changing.

BTW the small issue with what you described and football, is it doesn't explain the potential young issues that may arise. Say a kid gets a nasty concussion in HS. His parents sue the school district, athletic conference, etc. and then someone else does, and so on so forth. I think that there could be potential long term issues with liability at the HS level, that's ignoring Pee Wee because that could go away and no one would really care. I forget the number but more people play football in HS than pee wee.

I think what the NFL should push down the throats of the kids leagues is flag. Make an official NFL flag football league for every certain population size, essentially licensing team logos and the NFL logo for free to get kids to pick that rather than tackle football. Then come high school you have less potential issues. But it's still a big risk game.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,299 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    I wouldn't either. Except that I don't think it's gonna grow from where it's at. Maybe on a global scale it can, but I think it's peaked in the US. I can honestly say I watch way less legal NFL than I ever have and it's declined for years. I used to be an all day every Sunday that I could type. Now I may watch it on Sunday if it's a quality matchup. If it becomes a blowout I turn it off. This is of course just one example of one person. But I do think the overall demographic is changing.

BTW the small issue with what you described and football, is it doesn't explain the potential young issues that may arise. Say a kid gets a nasty concussion in HS. His parents sue the school district, athletic conference, etc. and then someone else does, and so on so forth. I think that there could be potential long term issues with liability at the HS level, that's ignoring Pee Wee because that could go away and no one would really care. I forget the number but more people play football in HS than pee wee.

I think what the NFL should push down the throats of the kids leagues is flag. Make an official NFL flag football league for every certain population size, essentially licensing team logos and the NFL logo for free to get kids to pick that rather than tackle football. Then come high school you have less potential issues. But it's still a big risk game.
    I agree with everything you said 100%. Well put.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Cool, I'll buy it.

It's going to take a lot more than 3 LBs retiring to get the NFL to stop being a cash cow. Talk to me when 3 top 10 QBs retire at 28.
    Last edited by BRule; 03-17-2015 at 08:25 AM.
    The Atlanta Braves signed Nick Markakis for 4/45 - Never forget 12/3/2014

"Klay Thompson > James Harden" - Heyward

"Chris Bosh is the MVP of the Miami Heat" - Heyward

"Hibbert is better than Dwight Howard"- Heyward

"Steven Adams will be a top 10 center in two years - thethe

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Malcolm Gladwell talked about this issue and he described it as the "ghettofication" of football. His hypothesis is that football participation rates will continue to decline in higher income areas, but that in poorer areas, like the South, football will remain popular. It's essentially the reverse of baseball.

As for viewers, as long as the league exists people watch. I wouldn't be concerned if I'm the NFL.
    That makes a ton of sense.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    RT: Sources say Michael Bennett is seeking a trade to Atlanta, along with a new contract
    The Atlanta Braves signed Nick Markakis for 4/45 - Never forget 12/3/2014

"Klay Thompson > James Harden" - Heyward

"Chris Bosh is the MVP of the Miami Heat" - Heyward

"Hibbert is better than Dwight Howard"- Heyward

"Steven Adams will be a top 10 center in two years - thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,904 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BRule View Post
    RT: Sources say Michael Bennett is seeking a trade to Atlanta, along with a new contract

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports Seahawks DE Michael Bennett is seeking a trade to Atlanta, and a new contract.

It's a bizarre source for a Seahawks/Falcons trade rumor, but Clarence Hill is a respected reporter. Bennett played his high school and college ball in Texas. Atlanta is not a random destination, as it would reunite Bennett with his defensive coordinator for both his seasons in Seattle, Dan Quinn. Coming off a seven-sack season, Bennett is just one year into a four-year, $32 million contract.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,299 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports Seahawks DE Michael Bennett is seeking a trade to Atlanta, and a new contract.

It's a bizarre source for a Seahawks/Falcons trade rumor, but Clarence Hill is a respected reporter. Bennett played his high school and college ball in Texas. Atlanta is not a random destination, as it would reunite Bennett with his defensive coordinator for both his seasons in Seattle, Dan Quinn. Coming off a seven-sack season, Bennett is just one year into a four-year, $32 million contract.
    This is pleasant surprise. I'll guess we will see if it has legs.